Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2008, 10:52 AM   #1
Forum Member

So many pentaxian moving away...

Although occasionally they leave us great lenses with nice prices, but still, what a sigh...

10-22-2008, 11:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Meh, don't worry about it... as I've seen on other boards plenty of canon folks switch to nikon and vice versa... it's to be expected that some will also switch from Pentax...

As an old boss used to say "Only crazy people never change their minds"

Pat
10-22-2008, 11:14 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
I used to only use Olympus but when it came time for a real DSLR I picked a K10d and have never looked back. Honestly felt like a natural progression for me. Checked out everything close in price at the time and nothing seemed as right to me. I'm really happy with my Pentax and after lurking on the various forums feel a good sense of community here.

There are parallels in the bass guitar world and any place where people are passionate about the creative tools they use. After looking at the Pentax history it would seem the company makes great stand out products but they don't have as main stream a name as others.

Just my $0.02. I'm new around here and don't take magical or great pictures. I just like taking them.

Andy
10-22-2008, 11:25 AM   #4

No worries

Don't worry about me as well. I`m very happy with my K20D. I have it for almost 2 months now and I find it more than great for my needs.
Some will go and others will come...

10-22-2008, 12:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Nope, I'm not switching.
10-22-2008, 12:11 PM   #6
Banned

its to be expected with all camera brands, or with any brand of any product for that matter. if My MX didn't do what I wanted I guess i would switch as well. though I don't think I have to worry about that...
10-22-2008, 02:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I find many of the members here, especially the old timers (since my lurking days) don't care much about excessive feature packed bodies and i agreed as many of you guys care first about the images produced by nice glass; which is what photography is all about, the final image and Pentax gives you the best value per image unless you have the LBA addiction LOL

People who switch frequently among bodies don't care about photography, they just want "***** envy", i should know

I see many people here shooting a lot while on other photography forums they just talk a lot and what's even more ironic, they don't even own a DSLR

10-22-2008, 04:50 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
People switch countries too, it's what people do. Have you never heard the term "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence"?
10-22-2008, 06:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aproud1 Quote
I used to only use Olympus but when it came time for a real DSLR I picked a K10d and have never looked back. Honestly felt like a natural progression for me. Checked out everything close in price at the time and nothing seemed as right to me. I'm really happy with my Pentax and after lurking on the various forums feel a good sense of community here.

Andy
That almost mirrors my introduction to the Pentax world except I was a Canon guy and I started with the K100. I upgraded to the K200 after the other one got kicked and didn't work right anymore. I am very satisfied. It will do all that I want and much much more than I am capable of at this time. Sure there are some things that I wish were different about Pentax, but I know that would be the case no mater which brand. There is no perfect system. It's more important for to learn more about photography and worry less about the equipment.

(Sssshhh! don't tell my wife I said that!
10-22-2008, 06:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aproud1 Quote

Andy
That almost mirrors my introduction to the Pentax world except I was a Canon guy and I started with the K100. I upgraded to the K200 after the other one got kicked and didn't work right anymore. I am very satisfied. It will do all that I want and much much more than I am capable of at this time. Sure there are some things that I wish were different about Pentax, but I know that would be the case no mater which brand. There is no perfect system. It's more important for to learn more about photography and worry less about the equipment.

(Sssshhh! don't tell my wife I said that!)
10-28-2008, 08:38 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mmzymxf Quote
Although occasionally they leave us great lenses with nice prices, but still, what a sigh...
If Pentax is losing customers, they only have themselves to blame. They have become the most under performing camera company in the world.
10-28-2008, 09:09 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If Pentax is losing customers, they only have themselves to blame. They have become the most under performing camera company in the world.
i wanted to argue but then realized that if you look at all the competitors, Oly, Sony, Canon and Nikon have really stepped it up in the past year and Pentax haven't.
10-28-2008, 09:19 AM   #13
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mmzymxf Quote
Personally I just moved TO Pentax. Not because it is the best or the most up-to-date-last-hype-camera maker, but simply because it perfectly meets what I was expecting from a camera. That does not mean that I won't one day switch, who knows, and more importantly, who cares ? If people choose to leave Pentax for XYZ, it's because they have a good reason to do so. It's not sad, it's not a sign for Pentax beeing out of touch, it's just a personal choice. I don't really understand why there are so many passionate debates, I mean nobody cares if someone changes from Chrysler to Honda or Mercedes, so why all this heat when someone leaves Pentax for Nikon/Canon ?
10-28-2008, 09:40 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wulifou Quote
Personally I just moved TO Pentax. Not because it is the best or the most up-to-date-last-hype-camera maker, but simply because it perfectly meets what I was expecting from a camera. That does not mean that I won't one day switch, who knows, and more importantly, who cares ? If people choose to leave Pentax for XYZ, it's because they have a good reason to do so. It's not sad, it's not a sign for Pentax beeing out of touch, it's just a personal choice. I don't really understand why there are so many passionate debates, I mean nobody cares if someone changes from Chrysler to Honda or Mercedes, so why all this heat when someone leaves Pentax for Nikon/Canon ?
Probably because far more people leave Pentax for other brands than come over from other brands. It will only get worse too. The Nikon D40 will probably be cheaper than the K-m, which will erode Pentax' sales in the cheap and cheerful market, the K200 is outclassed by anything else in it's price range, and the K20 has just been eroded by the competition as well. They just don't get that a 3 year or longer turn around for model upgrades just isn't good enough any more (the K20 was an exception).
I can remember when Pentax was on the forefront of camera technology, and some of what we take for granted in every manufacturers cameras rolled off the Pentax assembly lines first.
Now they are at best reactionary, rather than visionary, and my honest opinion is that they are very out of touch, and this is costing them hugely.
It's not enough to have some of the best lenses in the world, the cameras have to be up to the task as well.
Right now, there is a huge disconnect between Pentax cameras and what is considered to be second tier cameras from the big players. The best that Pentax makes is comparable to the third best from Nikon & Canon, and every time they introduce new cameras, that disconnect gets larger.
Perhaps it's Hoya's uber-conservatism holding things back, it must be difficult for an optical filter/accessory manufacturer to get their heads around the camera market, but they need to take a few risks to get back in the game before the other guys are so far ahead that the game is effectively over.
10-28-2008, 09:42 AM   #15
Veteran Member

the only thing that somewhat bothers me about having a Pentax is not having another Pentax user among friends or people i know. i was watching a video about photography tips, and the guy says to get a camera which people around you have so you can share and test lenses. makes sense, considering i sold my telephoto, ordered a new one but it hasn't arrived yet and i need it for class on saturday i could have easily borrowed someones telephoto from class if i had their brand ... oh well