Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2008, 05:59 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Keith Rock is the lowest scum on Ebay. I absolutely knew who you were talking about before I opened this thread.

I posted the following in the very photo.net thread mentioned above...

QuoteQuote:
Last year I ordered a 28mm lens which was listed "in PERFECT CONDITION" from Mr. Rock. When it arrived, it was immediately obvious that the aperture blades were stuck and would not stop down. I contacted Mr. Rock and he claimed that it worked when he put it in the box and that it must have been damaged in shipment. I told him there were no signs of damage to the box and no breakage of any of the bubble wrap. He finally agreed after several e-mails to let me return the lens.

This is where I made a BIG mistake. I mailed it to him without requesting a delivery receipt! Dumb, DumB, DUMB!!! After 3 months of e-mails and denials on his part that the lens never arrived, I finally gave up. I considered leaving negative feedback and filing a dispute with ebay and paypal but as a very very low volume buyer, I didn't want to get the inevitable negative feedback from Mr. Rock. It was obvious that I would barely scratch his feedback percentage, but he could decimate mine.

I began watching his auctions for the lens to reappear at which point I was going to file a complaint regardless of what he might reply with. However, I soon realized that I had made another serious mistake. I'd lost the papers which I wrote the lens serial number on, so I could prove nothing.

I firmly believe that Mr. Rock sold the lens fraudulently and also received it back and later resold it to another sucker either on ebay or elsewhere. Avoid this fraud at all costs.
I was an ebay newbie at the time and knew next to nothing about how to deal with ebay or paypal. I now use a friend of mine who is a huge seller on ebay to make all purchases (the few i do make anyway). No problems since I started going thru him. I do have ONE main rule now though...BUY ONLY FROM AMERICAN OR CANADIAN SELLERS (and the Canadians only get a break cause I can drive up to pound on you if you don't deliver).

Btw, its true that sellers can no longer give buyers negative feedback but they can turn in violation reports on those they would have given negative feedback to in the past. In some ways this could be worse. See http://pages.ebay.com/services/forum/new.html. In a case where it's going to be the seller's word against the buyer's I am cynical enough to think that ebay will side with the sellers most of the time (since thats where their money comes from).

Last edited by MRRiley; 10-22-2008 at 06:36 PM.
10-22-2008, 06:07 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I purchased my Cosina 70-210 from this seller and it was as described. Peter Zack said that it could be hit or miss. Appearently my experience was one of the hits. It is good to know for future purchases.
10-23-2008, 05:26 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dws1117 Quote
I purchased my Cosina 70-210 from this seller and it was as described. Peter Zack said that it could be hit or miss. Appearently my experience was one of the hits. It is good to know for future purchases.
You were uncommonly lucky Wayne! maybe you should buy a lottery ticket. After beating Rocky you are a shoe in...
10-23-2008, 07:52 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dws1117 Quote
As the saying goes, even a blind pig finds a truffle once in a while. I advise all to avoid this seller like the plague. Look at his feed back - multiple good ones from the same ID's stating the same thing. Smelly smelly smelly!!!

10-26-2008, 05:27 AM   #20

Original Poster
Via my Ebay email mailbox I have been offered a refund plus the shipping cost if I send them back. However, he hasnt responded yet to my mails in the Paypal resolution center, although he says he will.

Obviously there is a probability that he will deny receiving them when they arrive. I do not think I can send them with "signed for" service with Ecuadorian standard post. (We do have DHL and Fedex) Any suggestions for a reply? obviously I would send them back if I am guaranteed a refund, but after reading the comments of others I have my doubts.
10-26-2008, 06:27 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Heldur Quote
Via my Ebay email mailbox I have been offered a refund plus the shipping cost if I send them back. However, he hasnt responded yet to my mails in the Paypal resolution center, although he says he will.

Obviously there is a probability that he will deny receiving them when they arrive. I do not think I can send them with "signed for" service with Ecuadorian standard post. (We do have DHL and Fedex) Any suggestions for a reply? obviously I would send them back if I am guaranteed a refund, but after reading the comments of others I have my doubts.
Maybe you could send them to one of the members here who live in the UK, and have them return them with proof of delivery?
10-26-2008, 08:02 AM   #22
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Nope I STRONGLY SUGGEST you ignore anything he sends that is not directly through the Paypal network. He knows the game and will get your returns and never respond back to you. He'll block your Nic on Ebay and then you're fighting an uphill battle.

I've sold enough on Ebay to know he's trying to rip you off.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 10-26-2008 at 09:51 AM.
10-27-2008, 12:35 PM   #23

Original Poster
Well heres what happened...

Rockycamera told me he would respond directly to the Paypal resolution center emails I wrote the following night. He didnīt, so I escalated it to a dispute and requested half the the total purchase and shipping cost to be refunded. I wasnīt prepared to send them back because of the possibility of the seller denying receiving them and me losing out. So for me it is better to receive half rather than nothing.

I checked my email a very short time later Paypal informed me he had agreed to the refund and deposited the amount in my account!!

So a good ending although I will still have to pay the cost of cleaning the lenses.

Of course it would have been preferable if I paid more to start with and bought the lens without the defect. To be fair I will leave a neutral feedback on this. But explain the lens were both with fungus. They should have been better examined before advertised as "optically perfect" but I am not complaining because immediately repaid the refund requested.
07-09-2009, 12:11 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Has this guy morphed to "ferndowncameras"

Does anyone know if the Rocky of Ferndown cameras in UK is the same Rocky of these posts.
07-09-2009, 12:42 AM   #25
Veteran Member

what I know that Mr. Keith Rock or whatever his real name is, his real identity and address would clearly show in the paypal transaction.

I'm glad I wasn't able to encounter this fella. If I did and got screwed, I'm sure that I would going to pay him a visit. U.K. ain't that big enuff.
07-09-2009, 01:46 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kev.pride Quote
Does anyone know if the Rocky of Ferndown cameras in UK is the same Rocky of these posts.
Yes, it's one and the same!
07-09-2009, 01:55 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Yes, it's one and the same!
Thought so - & the lens looks so appealing.

I'm not that game.

thanks
07-09-2009, 04:21 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I'm feeling deprived. Not only have I not dealt with Keith Rock but all Ebay transactions to date have had positive results. I did buy one iffy lens but it was described as such. A local seller omitted a lens and when we couldn't agree on a fair price to compensate refunded the money on return of goods. I even bought a Pancolar from a bloke in Pakistan and was a bit worried about that Bin Lager bloke nicking the consignment and using the funds to feed his Teletubbies but that didn't happen.
Ferndown frequently list rather tasty and on my wish list lenses but I keep getting outbid, oh the woes of being a tightarse.
07-09-2009, 05:35 AM   #29
Inactive Account

Behold, Rocky's new webstore.

Three words as to why I think it's bad:

Comic. F**king. Sans.