Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2008, 12:20 PM   #1

Careful buying lenses from this seller

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Just to let everyone know I bought two pk mount lenses on Ebay from major ebay seller that advertises camera products as "optically perfect" both of mine arrived with fungus.

I using the paypal resolution centre to write and I included links of photos of the lens fungus. I am waiting for a reply to see what he will do and have not left feedback yet. The problem is shipping was more than the lens price (I am in Ecuador, seller in UK).

What would be a fair outcome here? the seller has a good reputation so I am surprised that both these lens were incorrectly described. I would send back but obviously I would want the shipping cost refunded otherwise I will be out of money and no lenses, or lenses that will cost alot to clean making the purchase a waste of money.

10-22-2008, 12:45 PM   #2
Banned

I can only assume by the 'optically perfect' bit that you have now met Keith Rock 'rocky camera' and various other names on ebay to dump all of his bad ratings. he uses fake buyer accounts for positive feedback, and lies about buyer when the buyer places negative feedback. a very shady character for sure. eBay My World - rockycamera hes is very well known over on the manual focus lenses forum. please avoid this seller, he is a crook and many MANY people have had bad experiences with him. you can read some of these horror stories here:

Manual Focus Lenses :: View topic - BEWARE THIS E-Bay SELLER
Manual Focus Lenses :: View topic - Ebay seller member446885 Keith Rock
Manual Focus Lenses :: View topic - EBAY, nasty sellers to avoid.

Last edited by séamuis; 10-22-2008 at 12:51 PM.
10-22-2008, 12:59 PM   #3

Original Poster
oh sh...t,
yep thats who it is. I am going to try to Paypal resolution center, and see what happens. Lucky it wasnt much money ($40 including shipping) but I will give him an opportunity to right the wrong anyway before I say anything negative.
10-22-2008, 01:03 PM   #4
Banned

I can assure you that you will have a very rough time getting him to right he wrong, and regardless of out come if you leave negative feedback he will leave the same on you. lesson learned I guess. at least you found out before you made any high priced purchases.

10-22-2008, 01:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
He offered to pay for return shipping on a lens I purchased that had some spots on the front element. The lens cost about $20 and spots were on the edges so on APS-C they don't affect image quality. I didn't trust him enough to ship it back, so I made sure that he left positive feedback first and then left negative feedback for him. Disappointing to say the least as he does seem to have a large variety of seeming decent quality items on all the time.
10-22-2008, 01:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I can assure you that you will have a very rough time getting him to right he wrong, and regardless of out come if you leave negative feedback he will leave the same on you. lesson learned I guess. at least you found out before you made any high priced purchases.
sellers may no longer leave negative feedback on your profile.
10-22-2008, 01:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
Actually, as a buyer that sword is no longer hanging over your head.... Sellers can't leave negative feedback for buyers any longer. I can't find a direct link but it's referred to in the first paragraph of this article. As a seller you can only leave positive feedback for a buyer or none at all. This change was made to prevent this very blackmail. If you have a bad experience with a seller, fire away! They deserve it and they can't retaliate by hurting your reputation.

10-22-2008, 02:11 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've made the same mistake with this seller. It's really hit and miss. I bought a couple of the spring loaded hoods that were supposed to be perfect and turned out to be missing the clips which you could not tell from the picture. Paypal refunded me and I threw them out. He used to go under the name of
Member446885 and has 231 negatives in 12 months.
eBay Feedback Profile for member446885

Now he's under this new name.
10-22-2008, 02:21 PM   #9

Original Poster
and another link here about rocky camera
BEWARE EBAY SELLER member446885... - Photo.net Classic Manual Cameras Forum

well if I dont get refunded I will post this link in the feedback.
10-22-2008, 02:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Ol' Rocky is in here too, a few times.
10-22-2008, 02:42 PM   #11
Banned

I told ya he was well known for all the wrong reasons.
10-22-2008, 03:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought my brand new Tamron SP adaptall 2 19AH 70-210mm f3,5 from him and it was totally as described, the postage was cheap to Spain as well.
So when he had a mint Adaptall 2 SP 35-80mm f2.8 come up I bid on that as well, when it arrived the condition was as described but it had a sticky iris and looked as though someone had been trying to fix it.
Anyway, contacted him and he asked for it to be returned (which I did) and he promptly refunded my money plus return postage costs.

Cant say fairer than that.

Mind you it may have helped that I was back in the UK that week anyway and my house is literally 10 minutes drive from his
10-22-2008, 03:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Yep, very well known eBay lens crook. Put a claim through PayPal demanding all your money back from the seller (lens price + shipping) and say that if he wants the lenses back, he'll have to pay for return shipping (and quote an amount for this). He'll probably not reply to your demand through PayPal and after 2 weeks silence (I think) you'll get reimbursed by PayPal and you can keep the lenses.

I hope the happens enough times that PayPal call him out on his shit and deny him an account for ever. I'd like to see him keep his business going with Western Union and Money Orders.
10-22-2008, 03:50 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Beware this seller. Bought some small stuff from him (hoods/caps) and he didn't include 2 items in the package. Didn't want to acknowledge the mistake on his part. Got nasty when I gave him a neutral feedback.
10-22-2008, 04:58 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
FWIW every time I bought from a high volume eBay or half.com seller there has been some sort of problem.
Either item was unavailable, the description incorrect, it arrived broken, parts were missing, shipping was slow, you name it.
And in all cases email communication was poor. Don't expect decent customer service from these folks!

So my advice is to take a huge number of feedbacks as a warning - avoid high volume sellers!

Chris
And my experience is just the opposite. The best two lenses I have bought recently were from a seller with over 8,000 feedback. The worst was from an "Original Owner", a "Mint" Super Tak 35/2.0. I might add that my own rule is to only buy lenses with the original caps and case. I violated that rule with the "Mint" Super Tak. The two best ones still had the little packet of desiccant in the case and the straps were still in their plastic package. As far as I could tell, neither lens had ever been mounted.