Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-26-2019, 03:47 PM   #1
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Unexpected Visit

So, I stopped over my parents' house today to pick up my jacket that my mom had fixed for me and for a present for my youngest that just arrived in the mail today.

I stopped to talk for a few as I usually do when her sister and family came over. I wish I had known they were coming as I'd have brought my K-7 over to show my uncle. He's the one who first introduced me to SLR cameras. I got to talking with him for a little bit before I had to leave.

He still has his original K1000 and lenses and such, though he doesn't get out to shoot anymore. I had a sneaking suspicion that he used a Pentax, but it had been a really long time since the last I saw him with a camera. I'm quite tempted to inquire after his lenses as I know it will be quality glass, but as his daughter, my goddaughter, will be taking some photography classes as part of her degree, I'll hope that she decides to ditch her Nikon and make a switch as she'd then have a lot of nice glass to work with.

It was rather fun getting to talk photography for a little bit.

12-26-2019, 07:31 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But if she KEEPS the Nikon, you can ask to BORROW the Pentax glass! No harm in asking...
12-26-2019, 08:48 PM   #3
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Now that I know he's got K-mount glass, I probably will down the line since I'm pretty sure it's all pretty good glass. Perhaps me talking about it will get him to dig it out and take some pictures again. Though he's pretty impressed with what he can do with the iPhone camera, so maybe not. He's pretty busy with teaching and then just enjoying watching the kids do their art instead. Not sure if he still paints or not, I didn't get into that before I had to leave.
12-26-2019, 10:27 PM   #4
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had a similar conversation with my son-in-law today. His father has a film Pentax with a 50/1.2 (presumably a K lens). The camera is not being used any more.

12-26-2019, 10:52 PM   #5
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
That lens at the least seems to be begging for someone to use it.
12-27-2019, 04:11 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

My grandmother had a K1000 and K 35mm f/3.5. The lens is now part of my collection but the camera, which is in amazing condition, is still at my parents' house as I think my mother would like to keep it around, even if she doesn't use it.
12-27-2019, 01:18 PM   #7
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
My grandmother had a K1000 and K 35mm f/3.5. The lens is now part of my collection but the camera, which is in amazing condition, is still at my parents' house as I think my mother would like to keep it around, even if she doesn't use it.
I can totally understand that. Maybe just borrow it once in a while run a roll through to make sure it's still in proper order and all?

12-27-2019, 01:41 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
I had a similar conversation with my son-in-law today. His father has a film Pentax with a 50/1.2 (presumably a K lens). The camera is not being used any more.

Oooh, that 50/1.2 is the stuff of legend. It deserves better than to sit in a closet.

Hopefully, junior didn't make the mistake of confusing 1:2 with 1:1.2. I have seen sellers of lenses do that, but I am sure that it is a rare occurrence.