Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2019, 08:42 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
warning to all

i am not sure if this is where to put this but i wanted to caution everyone. while visiting my son in Miami Florida thanksgiving week my vehicle was broken into at Bill Baggs state park at cape Florida. the worrisome part is that they cloned the signal from my key fob to open my vehicle without having to break anything. i lost pretty much everything, lenses i had saved up for and bought one at a time over about a 10 year period, except the K1 and 70-200 that i took with me to climb the cape Florida lighthouse. i probably saw whoever broke into it since the investigating officer told me they needed to be fairly close when you locked your car to get the signal so he/they saw me getting camera gear out as i was leaving. this is not a Florida problem apparently the app for a cell phone is available on the dark web. to add insult to injury i am a retired law enforcement officer and there was an FOP sticker on the window of the lift gate they got into to get some of my stuff. the SOB probably chuckled at that while he was robbing me. i told the officer that Pentax gear wasn't that common if they found a load it was probably mine and i had a lot of the serial numbers but i am under no illusions it was gone by the end of that day. your car is no longer secure from now on i will only take what i think i will be using and have already ordered a bigger back pack so everything i take will be with me. i have an SUV but the trunk of a sedan is not secure either. insurance covered right at half what i lost. life goes on if thats the worst thing that ever happens to me i am still way ahead of the game, i spent nearly 30 years in law enforcement and retired with my health and my family intact.

12-28-2019, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Sorry to hear that. It makes me so angry, just reading about it.
12-28-2019, 09:50 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Bad luck over your loss.A reminder to us all that a car is never a secure place to leave valuables.
12-28-2019, 10:27 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
terrible experience

thanks for the warning

folks consider checking with your insurance company about coverage

I have personal property rider on my equipment and other items

check if your home owners and auto would cover

and what it actually covers

I also recommend registering your equipment at Lenstag.com prior to any theft

you can also list your serial numbers here

Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com

12-28-2019, 11:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

What a terrible thing to experience while enjoying an outing. Technology is moving so quickly it is near impossible to develop a perfect strategy to protect your valuables when they are in a vehicle. So sorry that your insurance only covered 50%, but at least you were able to salvage something. Hope you next visit to the area will be without problems.
12-28-2019, 03:23 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Sorry to hear about that. If they want it bad enough they will get it. I guess coming back to a broken window and all you stuff missing would have been even worse.
12-28-2019, 06:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Came home from Vegas once...one car had a broken passenger window...second car had a broken lock on the outside of the door.

About 2 months ago...wifes car had her drivers door a little open, first thin in the AM. Yelled at my wife that she needs to be more careful. Nope, they used the same technology they used on you...they opened the car electronically and searched for anything in the car (nothing there), opened the glove box, and left the door partially open-likely so the alarm or lights did not go on.

They can clone your key fob by being close to you when you get out of your car and lock it up.
They can go to your front door of your house, and clone your fob code if the fob is close enough to the door. So some are suggesting to leav the fob in the back of the house, in a tin can, or wrapped in aluminum foil.

12-28-2019, 08:10 PM   #8
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by nitehntr Quote
i spent nearly 30 years in law enforcement and retired with my health and my family intact.
I'm saddened that those " sneaky scum suckers " ( a.k.a...........well, you know ) made off with your hard earned gear, but the last line in your story is the good news that I take away from it. On behalf of your community, THANKS for your service, and thanks too for the timely reminder to stay vigilant.

Good luck with retrieving your stolen gear.
12-28-2019, 08:34 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for the info.

Good luck retrieving the lenses.
12-28-2019, 08:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Nothing is ever safe.
12-29-2019, 01:19 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What a shame. If they stole any cameras, there are programs that will find any pictures uploaded to the internet using cameras electronic serial number. Good luck.
Thanks for the sarning,
barondla
12-29-2019, 01:45 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunally some cars have a badly secured handshake for key exchange, as it consumes less battery from the physical key.
I wish you all the luck that it might still be found!
12-29-2019, 05:31 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Unfortunately no (affordable) technology for domestic vehicles would defeat a brick through the window so the safest course is not to leave valuables in an unattended vehicle,this is not meant as a criticism of the OP but just a comment on the sad facts of life.
12-31-2019, 12:34 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm sorry to read this. I'd be devastated. I hope some of it can be recovered, like the 645Z that was stolen a few months ago. Crossing my fingers.

01-07-2020, 11:04 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I believe that if you key lock, rather than fob lock it is "more locked" not sure if this applies to all makes. That is you cannot open it electronically.
One thing i have done is fully insure my gear
Since i have a Land Rover Defender , not the most secure vehicle, i am thinking of bolting a security box into the rear cabin. But a bit extreme for a lot of vehicles.