Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-01-2020, 07:03 AM   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Recommendations for gaining information on travel destinations

We tend to travel and often go to new cities and locations

and this article made me think - is this the first known " guide " book ?
QuoteQuote:
An Afterlife So Perilous, You Needed a Guidebook
Archaeologists unearthed the remains of a 4,000-year-old “Book of Two Ways” — a guide to the Egyptian underworld, and the earliest copy of the first illustrated book.
An Afterlife So Perilous, You Needed a Guidebook - The New York Times

now that I have your attention, I hope, what do you use to gain information on designations you intend to visit

guidebooks ( please name them )

travel sites on the net ( please provide a link )

city or state information sites

asking members here for help

other methods?

01-01-2020, 07:17 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Allen, now that the internet is in full bloom I get most of my information from forums like this one. Locals know the best places to go after you go to the main attractions. Being the adventurous sort myself I like to go into an area blind and just take a turn off the main drag to see whats out there.

In 1991 while prepping for our "Great Western Journey" my wife wrote to the state travel bureaus and we were inundated with all sort of literature. Then it became a matter of deciding what we were willing to miss rather than wanted to see. We also took a huge campgrounds directory as we were pulling a pop-up tent trailer. The camp ground owners usually know a few local spots too send you to.
01-01-2020, 07:22 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Allen, now that the internet is in full bloom I get most of my information from forums like this one. Locals know the best places to go after you go to the main attractions.. . .
local knowledge from knowledgeable folks, as opposed to shills, is the best I agree

problem is sorting out the shills

the forums is a good way to sort them out IMHO
01-01-2020, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For info on train travel, worldwide this site can’t be beaten

The Man in Seat Sixty-One - the train travel guide...

General info about travel in SE Asia,sights,accommodation and travel tips

The independent travel guide for Southeast Asia. Travelfish.org

01-07-2020, 04:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Honestly? One of my gotos is youtube
i find it very helpful to see what other people are doing in places. Granted, there are a lot of terrible videos, but I spent a lot of time watching before I went to Thailand. Gave me some ideas of where I might want to go, and what I should expect once there

I also do spend a lot of time on tripadvisor . I find this more useful for urban and all-inclusive style vacations. It's interesting to see what people think of a resort, although I would recommend taking the top and bottom reviews and assuming the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Sometimes if they are complaining about food or crowds or conditions of facilities, the included pictures help explain their complaints.

I find forums are hit or miss. This is a great forum - i can ask a question, and get lots of information. I was trying to find out some information on a previous trip (i don't remember which one) and lots of people recommend a specific forum. I joined, and ran into the problem that despite all the recommendations, there was no one posting there. The information that was still there was approaching 10 years old.