Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2020, 09:36 PM   #1

PayPal Credit?

I see that PayPal is now offering their own credit "card" or revolving line of credit. Is this an acceptable way of payment to sellers on the Forum who accept only "PayPal"? Will the seller see any difference in payment time? I know that PayPal has always allowed other credit card companies to "back" the payer's bank account, but I don't know if there will be any difference with their own credit line.

Peter Pen

01-05-2020, 09:40 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
(moved from the news forum)

As with any funding source, where you get the funds from is transparent to the seller. PP credit will work njust like any other paypal payment.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-05-2020, 11:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm am not sure how it all works. I think a paypal credit is just a mastercard or visa card that can be used anywhere. From what I understand, paypal actually works like a b&m bank. I know if you leave money in your paypal account, I think, paypal opens a money market account (?) and earns money from the interest of your account.

Back to the credit question, it's just a mastercard or visa with paypal's name on it.
01-06-2020, 05:03 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

why would a seller on pay pal know your source of funds,?

there is no need

I know that as a buyer I don't want pay pal revealing whether I use a bank account or a credit card

01-06-2020, 08:02 AM   #5
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The PayPal credit card is simply a PayPal branded Visa IIRC. It's been many years since I've had a PayPal credit card. It has it's own revolving line of credit and works like a normal credit card. When I first got mine, it was a neat transparent plastic card for a few years before going to your plain old boring silver color with a PayPal logo on it. You can use it with PayPal to pay people that require PayPal, but it itself is not the same as using PayPal. If they only accept PayPal, you will need to pay through PayPal itself and not just give them the CC numbers to your PayPal card as that would obviously be the same as giving them any other Visa/MC/Discover/etc card numbers.

I find the PayPal debit card more useful as it allows me to use my PayPal balance to pay for things at physical stores or places like Amazon that don't accept PayPal. I think you can set it up so that if you don't have enough in your balance it will pull the remainder from your linked bank account, but I don't remember and I never set my new PayPal account up like that. (Our bank doesn't register transfers from accounts quickly. It's quicker for my wife and I to send money to each other from our bank accounts to PayPal if we're short while out.)
01-06-2020, 04:42 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Paypal is a really complicated company that tries to look super simple, so you will use it and not think too much about it. Part of the complication is that Paypal buys up a lot of smaller companies, then absorbs them into their system. PP Credit started out as "Bill Me Later", a separate company. Another complication is how Paypal is as much as possible not a bank, to avoid being regulated as a bank. NASDAQ lists them as a "Software and IT Services" company.
01-06-2020, 09:11 PM   #7

Original Poster
Interesting...I had no idea.

01-07-2020, 10:44 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Speaking about paypal credit card, today in my email, I got and deleted an ad from ebay for a ebay mastercard.
01-07-2020, 11:52 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I've used PayPal Credit. There was no actual card involved, but it worked the same as a credit card. When I went to pay for my purchase, I clicked "PayPal Credit" instead of regular PayPal. I don't know if it was just an initial offering, but it was no interest if the balance was paid off within 6 months. Every month, I've gotten a notice when a payment was due. So far, I've even used my PayPal account to transfer money for the payments to PayPal Credit. If there's another version that uses an actual card, I'm not aware of it. I just assumed that PayPal Credit was for online purchases so no physical card was required.
01-07-2020, 01:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The PP credit, (not the visa or MC,) offers all kinds of no interest deals but they appear to apply your payments to the newest purchases (or smaller purchases,) so if you continue to use the PP credit system, they will get you for interest, no matter how long they claim the interest free period is. I now try to avoid using it except as a convenience. Somewhat shady as they are not a bank.
01-07-2020, 07:55 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love Paypal credit for the interest-free deals. I don't see the need for the card, even though they've been offering cash to join.
01-07-2020, 09:06 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Paypal's agreement with eBay is up this year. When that expires, Paypal will be a payment option but lower on the list. Some of the newer options look like planning for that agreement to expire. Paypal is so far a survivor but lots of companies want to take all its business - Square directly, Apple and Samsung on phones, banks with Zelle, etc. I think Paypal uses Venmo as sort of a gateway drug for younger users to get them into the system, then make money later with Credit.