Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2020, 02:48 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
while i have some passing interest in the competition, and own a variety of manufacturers, i will always have a soft spot for Pentax. Besides, i just bought some new ektar, and there's the ilford ortho to try out. New-to-me lens also showed up yesterday.

What I'm trying to say is, i'm not sure if you'll get rid of me that easily.

01-18-2020, 03:34 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Well I'll admit that I spent more time on the forum in December trying to get enough posts to qualify for the grand draw that I usually do, but I found it was very enjoyable. I may not spent quite as much time in future months, but I have no intent on giving up my interest.
01-24-2020, 04:34 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

Prophetic this thread should be started the month we lost Terry Jones ...
01-27-2020, 08:12 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm sticking around here and the Leica Forum--my two kits and my two favorite cameras. Well-Built, evolutionary rather than revolutionary designs--Not the latest tech, but the most logical tech. If you've used other cameras, the Pentax pentaprism is just wonderful to use as is the Leica decades proven rangefinder, Someone said to me why do you shoot these brands? Leica is overpriced and Pentax is behind the curve? Two simple reasons: Pentaxes take a licking, they keep on ticking, they are fast enough for anything I have ever shot. They are quality. Drop a Pentax and it gets scuffed or dented. Drop most NikCanOny body and it cracks or becomes too damaged to use. Leicas are likewise built like tanks from similar magnesium, steel and aluminum. I would take durability and consistency over revolutionary.
Example: Pick up a K-1 for the 1st time and a Pentax user already has a built in familiarity with the camera. Ergonomics creates speed. Understanding elements of photography creates lasting images. This is the spirit of photography...Long live Pentax !!!!

01-30-2020, 09:06 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm posting in this thread just because I can.

Seriously, of my two or three hobbies, photography is the one most lacking in positive reinforcement; without being able to post photos on this site my handiwork would be condemned to eternal oblivion. Sure, people that know me will look at my photos from a trip once, maybe twice, and might be willing to look at photos I take of my wife's Christmas decorating or flower garden, but snapshots with her iPhone would do in a pinch. Both my kids are adults, have moved far away and haven't done their duty and produced grandchildren, which greatly reduces the opportunities to take pictures that other people are interested in viewing. I do get some pleasure from looking at my own photos, especially if I haven't looked at them for a while, but like some other forms of self-pleasure, if you do it too often, it ultimately becomes unsatisfying and leads to a growing sense of inadequacy.

My current circumstances mean that I have fewer opportunities to travel these days, so my resolution is to be more purposeful with my photography, to set out personal "challenges" that I can practice getting better at. Without Pentaxforums, there wouldn't be much point to it.
01-31-2020, 09:22 AM   #21
Pentaxian

There are some that are attracted to a forum because of prizes, but I think they are in the minority. Prizes have never been something I've sought out.

I've won three large prizes in my life. A truck box, various gardening equipment and 50 pair of pantyhose. The panty hose were second prize in a contest where first prize was a Renault R8. I entered the contest as I was a poor university student 50 years ago, did not have a car...the Renault was first prize and I figured what the heck. I won second prize, the hose. I sold it to either other students, gave some to my family and girlfriend and my grandmother was able to sell about 35 pair.

So, perhaps as a result of my prize winning experience, it has never been something I have actively pursued.

However...why do I think the PF has been and will have a good chance of remaining successful.

My thoughts.

I have been a Pentaxian for over half a century and I am an enthusiast about photography and the PF is a place where I can engage with others of similar enthusiasm. Prime reason.

I've been here for quite a few years and when I think of it, the PF is about the only forum I engage with on a regular basis. About a decade ago I patronized a number of different forums...mostly not camera forums, but as time went by, invariably dropped out of them. Mostly because opinion 'range wars' always seem to develop or were bubbling just under the surface. I don't mind a robust discussion, mild disagreement, but I choose not to get into an all out, polarizing war of words that I've seen develop in many other forums.

The PF has a good chemistry, generally a pleasant place to be, very good about not allowing subjects that quickly (and predictably) will become inflammatory to gain much traction and has a well maintained focus on being a forum that is useful and appealing to photographers of the Pentax persuasion.

The moderators I find are positive, friendly , perceptive , diplomatic and effective in maintaining the positive atmosphere and general camaraderie of the PF. They deal with difficult situations that are percolating and seem to be able to nip problems in the bud, before things get too out of hand.

I don't know what the numbers of the PF are, don't know if the numbers have remained steady or if they have dropped off or experienced upswings over the years...dramatic or otherwise. But the sense I get is that many long time members still remain, and I do see new names on a regular basis. The forum seems to work and does so in the main, because many members find it useful, pleasant and for many of us...enjoyable.

One man's opinion.