Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
01-13-2020, 04:48 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
" now for something completely different ... "

last year lucky members got full frame sensor cameras

this year lucky members got a variety of " swag " from vintage glass and cameras to modern glass and cameras and more

now what happens with such contests done [ with the exception of the photo contest ] ?

do we lose members

do members disappear

do members stop contributing

speaking personally I hope not

I hope those who joined us, those who became more active

contribute to the knowledge of the forum

the examples of what they do with their cameras and glass

perhaps not at " contest levels " but a pace comfortable to each

posting photos

contributing to threads

starting threads

both serious and nonsensical

will you join me in trying to met that " challenge "

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-13-2020 at 08:53 AM.
01-13-2020, 08:06 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
both serious
Not sure if I can do that bit...

and nonsensical
Though, I am sure I will not disappoint you in this regard...

Cheers Allen, I think what you've written makes sense, and I hope that anyone who joined due to the contest does stick around and contribute to the forum. In the meantime, enjoy your KP
01-13-2020, 08:27 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Interesting Thread, Sly. The issue is that Ricoh does virtually no marketing for Pentax. I know this is an ongoing topic, but I tried to have a few people I know with burgeoning interest in photography to look at Pentax equipment. They went to Best Buy and a few smaller camera shops in this area (So. Jersey & SE Pennsylvania) and no one sold Pentax equipment. Being neophytes they wanted to see, feel, touch and hold the cameras. They went with the more popular and readily available CanikonOny oligarchy instead.
I advised them to go on line to B&H or Adorama, but even then, the banners advertising the other brands, touting their "new" models overshadowed any good will I could muster with these youngsters. The further delay in a new Pentax APS-c prosumer body has also had many people I know abandon Pentax. It is this reason I 'baby' my K-3ii so that it will last longer. My KP is well used and expendable to me, I love its rendering and take it as a travel camera due to its smaller size.
I hope we, the proud, the few (okay several 1000's) of Pentax supporters continue to be supported. An recent example is SIGMA abandoned the Pentax K-Mount in favor of the Leica/Lumix L-Mount and are no longer making their large, yet quality lenses for Pentax. I hope other 3rd-Party manufacturers don not follow suit.
Here's a few random classic Pentax photos that are among my favorite and not previously posted.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo     
01-13-2020, 11:04 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As a winner (and regular contributor)I definitely intend sticking around.I am trying to get my head around the concept of shooting with a film camera after a gap of nearly twenty years,I’m looking forward to the challenge though and will post some pics if they’re not too disastrous!

01-13-2020, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #5
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I plan on sticking around now that I finally have a camera. From what I've seen online, this seems one of the better places to be in order to improve.
01-13-2020, 04:22 PM - 1 Like   #6
Inactive Account

do members stop contributing

I would go back to normal which means posts less of "what I think".

That will give me more time to shoot more, edit more and come back to post photos.
01-13-2020, 04:36 PM - 6 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah, well I'm afraid we have to stop the film there, as some of the scenes which followed were of a violent nature which might have proved distressing to some of our viewers. Though not to me, I can tell you.

01-13-2020, 06:43 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I might stick around...
01-13-2020, 07:04 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
Interesting Thread, Sly. The issue is that Ricoh does virtually no marketing for Pentax. I know this is an ongoing topic, but I tried to have a few people I know with burgeoning interest in photography to look at Pentax equipment. They went to Best Buy and a few smaller camera shops in this area (So. Jersey & SE Pennsylvania) and no one sold Pentax equipment. Being neophytes they wanted to see, feel, touch and hold the cameras. They went with the more popular and readily available CanikonOny oligarchy instead.
I advised them to go on line to B&H or Adorama, but even then, the banners advertising the other brands, touting their "new" models overshadowed any good will I could muster with these youngsters. The further delay in a new Pentax APS-c prosumer body has also had many people I know abandon Pentax. It is this reason I 'baby' my K-3ii so that it will last longer. My KP is well used and expendable to me, I love its rendering and take it as a travel camera due to its smaller size.
I hope we, the proud, the few (okay several 1000's) of Pentax supporters continue to be supported. An recent example is SIGMA abandoned the Pentax K-Mount in favor of the Leica/Lumix L-Mount and are no longer making their large, yet quality lenses for Pentax. I hope other 3rd-Party manufacturers don not follow suit.
Here's a few random classic Pentax photos that are among my favorite and not previously posted.
Just a question, Merv, why didn't you let them handle your KP or another Pentax DSLR of yours and explain to them the magic of the ergonomics of the Pentax DSLR and other features you are familiar with??? That way they could have seen, felt and touched a Pentax and possibly taken a few photos.
01-13-2020, 07:05 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Monty Python: How Not To Be Seen - YouTube

Ah, well I'm afraid we have to stop the film there, as some of the scenes which followed were of a violent nature which might have proved distressing to some of our viewers. Though not to me, I can tell you.
Totally Politically incorrect!!!!:
01-14-2020, 04:05 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think you all are stuck with me.

I've been around for too long and for some reason just keep posting. Contests don't seem to affect that too much except to produce a lot more "fluff" in threads for me to scroll past....
01-14-2020, 04:09 AM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
. . . Cheers Allen, I think what you've written makes sense, . . .
Interesting Thread, Sly. . . .
quiet please

are you trying to ruin my reputation

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I might stick around...
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think you all are stuck with me. . . .
hmm,

ok but that is only my opinion, others may differ

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
I would go back to normal which means posts less of "what I think".

That will give me more time to shoot more, edit more and come back to post photos.
QuoteOriginally posted by Gorgarath Quote
I plan on sticking around now that I finally have a camera. From what I've seen online, this seems one of the better places to be in order to improve.
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
As a winner (and regular contributor)I definitely intend sticking around.I am trying to get my head around the concept of shooting with a film camera after a gap of nearly twenty years,I’m looking forward to the challenge though and will post some pics if they’re not too disastrous!
sounds like a plan [ actually plans ]

[ clue to the fact that the contests are over, these are all in one post, not multiple posts ]

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-14-2020 at 05:12 AM.
01-14-2020, 05:32 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Just a question, Merv, why didn't you let them handle your KP or another Pentax DSLR of yours and explain to them the magic of the ergonomics of the Pentax DSLR and other features you are familiar with??? That way they could have seen, felt and touched a Pentax and possibly taken a few photos.
I did....believe me, I walk around with one of my cameras every day. The issue isn't the use per se. It's also this nonsense about mirrorless bodies being better, smaller, lighter, etc.It's hard to convince someone when they go to the store and can't compare with all models. I'm going to keep trying as I am heavily invested in Pentax and believe in the brand.
01-14-2020, 09:39 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

perhaps not at " contest levels " but a pace comfortable to each
I almost gave up and left for good due to the volume - didn't have time nor energy to automate filtering posts down to my interests.
01-14-2020, 10:03 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did....believe me, I walk around with one of my cameras every day. The issue isn't the use per se. It's also this nonsense about mirrorless bodies being better, smaller, lighter, etc.It's hard to convince someone when they go to the store and can't compare with all models. I'm going to keep trying as I am heavily invested in Pentax and believe in the brand.
Good for you!