Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2020, 02:39 AM - 5 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I remember a "state of the camera industry" article on LuLa not too long ago in which the writer lumped the different manufacturers together into two general groups:

Mass market manufacturers: Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji.
Premium brands: Leica, Hasselblad, Phase One, Pentax.

I know the 645Z plays a big part in Pentax's inclusion in the premium group, but I'm very happy to see the brand being categorised along with Leica and the others more and more often nowadays. It would be nice to see people around here stopping moaning about why Pentax isn't doing exactly the same as SoCaNikon, and instead be happy that they're using a brand with a growing status as the experienced photographer's choice. It's exploiting that kind of status in the industry that will make sure Pentax survives, while chasing the discount warehouse market along with SoCaNikon would be commercial suicide.

01-21-2020, 04:10 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really have no trouble recommending Pentax for people who want an SLR -- but many people are actually more interested in a bridge camera or something like that. But Pentax still offers a really good value, particularly when you consider used gear in the equation.

To me, for portraiture, family photos, and landscapes it is hard to beat. If someone's interest is mainly in the direction of sports or wildlife, I would steer them towards another brand.
01-21-2020, 08:07 AM   #18
Pentaxian

A year ago or so, I decided to thin out the herd and give a camera and lens to my Grandson. The choice was between a K-50 or m4/3 gear. Since he did some video I sent him a Panny GX-7 with Kit lens. Probably a smart move, with in 2 months the K-50 did the aperture block thing. Disappointment. If asked about Pentax I'd only recommend the Flagship model or the FF.
01-23-2020, 12:21 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Its all a piece of a shrinking market. Get big or get niche. As the digital market contracts due to 99% of people not using a camera and favouring their smart phone there is really only one viable route. Getting big is not possible anymore due to the mass market using their phones. That leaves getting niche. Getting niche basically means more limited function or high end pricing towards some highly specific target audience such as professionals and those prepared to spend a lot a’la Pentax or aim for some other specific market like GoPro.

Pentax probably know what they are doing.

Personally I have thought for some time now that dedicated cameras will go back to the world of being used only by pros, enthusiasts and the well heeled elite. It wasnt much different in the 60s and 70s.