Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2020, 07:06 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Paypal is not the primary payment method on Evil Bay anymore. They both sent emails about the split quite a while ago. PP is still an option but is not as prominent on E bay anymore.

02-07-2020, 07:51 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fluegel Quote
That is a strong rumour but sofar no signs of a break between PayPal and evil bay.
The story about Adyen replacing Paypal started about two years ago.
Paypal's agreement with eBay changes in July. Paypal will hang around as an option until 2023 but the new payment option will be listed first. Unless the new guys drop the ball (get hacked, etc) Paypal probably is out after 2023.

Paypal spun off from eBay several years ago. If you owned eBay stock, you got the same number of shares in Paypal as you owned of eBay. The best move at the time was to sell eBay and buy more Paypal.
02-07-2020, 08:56 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The issue that folks will have with the Ebay/Adyen partnership is that reportedly you won't have access to the proceeds from your sale immediately. Scuttlebutt is Ebay will hold your cash for several days before disbursement.
02-08-2020, 04:34 AM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

PayPal is not much different in that department.

I sold two items with a total of 1280 euro.
Paypal blocked the new account stating I was getting close tot the limit that is imposed to prevent money laundering.
That limit is 2500 euro.

My money was released after two weeks but not until I gave Paypal a copy of my ID and proof of address.
This asking for extra information is what I object to. Ask that information immediately with the opening of an account.
Paypal informed me there was no address on my drivers license.
I got news for Paypal: address information was last registered on EU drivers licenses 20 years ago.
They are a bunch of bloody amateurs playing with other peoples money.

Last edited by Fluegel; 02-08-2020 at 07:34 AM.
06-06-2020, 04:14 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The issue that folks will have with the Ebay/Adyen partnership is that reportedly you won't have access to the proceeds from your sale immediately. Scuttlebutt is Ebay will hold your cash for several days before disbursement.
That is exactly what PayPal does now. PP blocks acces to the money from a sale on Ebay for 21 days with the motivation it is necessary for the safety for the transaction.
Sellers are obliged ti ship the parcel with a limited choice of of parcel companies. Untill the buyer reports the item has arrived and is according tot the description on Ebay the money is not available to the seller. This method is used regardless the fact that Paypal is allowed to transfer money from the bank account of the seller without any limit.

A buyer in Hong Kong buys a brandnew 40 year old boxed Hasselblad camera. He insists on PayPal although I do not offer PayPal as payment option.
I explicitly state no camera will be shipped untill the 3300 Euro is transferred from the PayPal account to my bank account.
Paypal informs me about the 21 days delay and insists on shipping with selected parcel companies After I send the tracking data to paypal the 21 days delay starts.

Of course I do not send the camera with the risk that a buyer 12.000 miles from where I live decides to return the camera after he has used it.
The camera is no longer new, I end up with a used camera. Who will cover my loss after this action?

I sell lens caps and similar low priced items up to 30 euro. All is well i receive the money without any delays by PayPal.
I make a mistake. and offer a 350 euro lens with PayPal option. Same story 21 days dela y and so on.
The money immediately returned to the buyer withe the request to use bank transfer as method of payment.
Now Paypal decides to delay repayment of the money to the buyer for 10 days. The buyer decides not to pay me because of the delay.

From now on all my sales are hit by the 21 days delay by PayPal.
PayPal are a bunch of villains that should be barred from offering financial services.
I have a 100% positive rating at ebay. I sell Hasselblad items costing several thousands of euros never had a problem untill Paypal is used by buyers.
06-06-2020, 07:04 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I had an unauthorized purchase on my paypal account, they were pretty quick with the refund but i still had to pay a transaction fee. I thought that was unfair at the time.
06-07-2020, 12:41 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Just sharing this as an information piece as I know that many of us here use the forum market place as well as buying and selling elsewhere. I have business where I ship alot of merchandise ( non photo related) and just became aware of a new policy at paypal. Apparently about 4 months ago they changed their refund policy.

If you cancel and refund a customers order, no matter what the reason you still have to pay the paypal transaction fees associated with the original sale.

Example.. Someone in Canada buys a lens from a USA seller for $1,021.97. The paypal fees and cross border fees would be $45.27 If either the buyer or the seller cancels the transaction and the money is refunded , the seller still owes Paypal the $45.27 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the transaction were just in the USA between buyer and seller, it would be the same out come.. Paypal keeps all the fees.

I know this as fact as I just got off the phone with Customer service. The Rep I spoke with said people were not happy at all with the change... Really? who would be besides paypal.

What a crummy way to do business.

Al
Well, they have provided a service and there was no problem with that service, so I think they're entitled to earn a profit from it. However, if the cancellation is due to some kind of fault (buyer bought in error or seller sold faulty goods, for example) then that person should need to cover all costs.

I get on well with Paypal these days. I remember buying a Japan-only minidisc player (the EH1 in black, what a beauty) from a Japanese resident on a mindisc forum and transferring the money through PP. It took a little over a month for the transaction to be completed. A month!!! Shortly after that Paypal messed up something and I was locked out of my account for several years with no way to get in or create a new account. n Thankfully they have gotten their act together since those days, when they were very much a cowboy operation, but their fees are high.

06-07-2020, 01:46 AM - 1 Like   #38
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Fluegel Quote
That is exactly what PayPal does now. PP blocks acces to the money from a sale on Ebay for 21 days with the motivation it is necessary for the safety for the transaction.
Sellers are obliged ti ship the parcel with a limited choice of of parcel companies. Untill the buyer reports the item has arrived and is according tot the description on Ebay the money is not available to the seller. This method is used regardless the fact that Paypal is allowed to transfer money from the bank account of the seller without any limit.

A buyer in Hong Kong buys a brandnew 40 year old boxed Hasselblad camera. He insists on PayPal although I do not offer PayPal as payment option.
I explicitly state no camera will be shipped untill the 3300 Euro is transferred from the PayPal account to my bank account.
Paypal informs me about the 21 days delay and insists on shipping with selected parcel companies After I send the tracking data to paypal the 21 days delay starts.

Of course I do not send the camera with the risk that a buyer 12.000 miles from where I live decides to return the camera after he has used it.
The camera is no longer new, I end up with a used camera. Who will cover my loss after this action?

I sell lens caps and similar low priced items up to 30 euro. All is well i receive the money without any delays by PayPal.
I make a mistake. and offer a 350 euro lens with PayPal option. Same story 21 days dela y and so on.
The money immediately returned to the buyer withe the request to use bank transfer as method of payment.
Now Paypal decides to delay repayment of the money to the buyer for 10 days. The buyer decides not to pay me because of the delay.

From now on all my sales are hit by the 21 days delay by PayPal.
PayPal are a bunch of villains that should be barred from offering financial services.
I have a 100% positive rating at ebay. I sell Hasselblad items costing several thousands of euros never had a problem untill Paypal is used by buyers.
The 21-day hold isn't a routine practice as far as I'm aware. It should only be applied to new accounts or high-risk transactions. You should contact customer service to inquire about this, IMO.

If the buyer attempts to scam you, the idea behind seller protection is that you won't lose your money. The system isn't foolproof, but it does work most of the time. This happened to me (someone bought my laptop on ebay using a stolen CC), and after a brief hold, the funds were returned to me.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-07-2020, 01:56 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Although I use Ebay fairly frequently, for minor purchases, I do not have a PayPal account - my payments are from my bank card, via PayPal. Over the years, I have had a few disputes with sellers, and on each occasion (fewer than five) my money, including postage when applicable, has been refunded in full, with no charges. Obviously, I have no idea whether the seller was charged in any of these matters.
06-07-2020, 04:00 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The 21-day hold isn't a routine practice as far as I'm aware. It should only be applied to new accounts or high-risk transactions. You should contact customer service to inquire about this, IMO.

If the buyer attempts to scam you, the idea behind seller protection is that you won't lose your money. The system isn't foolproof, but it does work most of the time. This happened to me (someone bought my laptop on ebay using a stolen CC), and after a brief hold, the funds were returned to me.
I suddenly became a "high risk" account holder after I returned the paypal payment to paypal from my bankaccount after 8 days.
The reason Paypal blocked the payment from a seller to me. The seller repaid 24 euro because the automatic system that organizes payment overcharged the shipping cost.
Paypal did not make the 24 euro available to me. Tell me who is acting not correct here?
Since that incident I am labeled as a high risk account holder.
Complaining with paypal is useless. You get more response talking to a concrete wall.

I issued an official complaint at the organisation in Luxemburg that is supposed to handle complaints about financial institutions in Luxemburg.
07-22-2020, 03:18 AM   #41
Veteran Member

My first negative experience with PayPal was when I was just starting out with freelance web work. I'd been working for a rather dubious client over a period of about two months. He developed issues paying, so I stopped the work. He filed chargebacks for every payment he had already made for work completed, like four of them. PayPal ruled entirely in my favour, but they still stole from me $30 per disputed payment with no recourse. Why didn't they take it from him is my question.

I have a funds transfer in progress from my bank to PayPal right now to cover a replacement camera. It says it takes 3-5 days and it usually does. It's taking 10 days. This has been a problem with PayPal in Canada for years, and I don't see any excuse for it. Why should it take any longer to send money from my bank to PayPal than it would to send an EMT from my bank to PayPal? Why don't they switch to EMTs for adding funds? That would be instant. Idiots.
07-22-2020, 01:39 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I am still amazed people are still using PayPal after so many unpleasant experiences.

As a seller I do not offer the PayPal option any more. I do not need to, the items I offer are fairly unique.
Money transfer between European banks are smooth and fast.
With 100% feedback rating buyers need not worry about buying from me. Many sales over 2000 euro with 100% satisfied buyers.
07-22-2020, 03:43 PM - 2 Likes   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Money transfers between US banks are not so fast. I have been sending money to a young relative at college, maybe 1900 miles from here. He has a checking account but it was opened at his home, so the nearest physical branch is a few hundred miles away. I am making electronic transfers using the ACH system, which is free for me but only happens a couple of times a week. Last week I had to send him some paper documents too. Those went via USPS Priority Mail, dropped off at a post office. Then I started an ACH transfer within a few minutes of mailing the documents. The documents got there in two days, the money took three days. And this system requires a lot more work to set up and more trust than a buyer/seller transaction.
07-22-2020, 04:20 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Money transfers between US banks are not so fast. I have been sending money to a young relative at college, maybe 1900 miles from here. He has a checking account but it was opened at his home, so the nearest physical branch is a few hundred miles away. I am making electronic transfers using the ACH system, which is free for me but only happens a couple of times a week. Last week I had to send him some paper documents too. Those went via USPS Priority Mail, dropped off at a post office. Then I started an ACH transfer within a few minutes of mailing the documents. The documents got there in two days, the money took three days. And this system requires a lot more work to set up and more trust than a buyer/seller transaction.
So, you can't just transfer money electronically, more or less instantly, from one bank to another?
The longest it takes here for an electronic transfer is overnight and with most banks it's either instantly or very nearly instantly.
07-22-2020, 05:37 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Those went via USPS Priority Mail, dropped off at a post office. Then I started an ACH transfer within a few minutes of mailing the documents. The documents got there in two days, the money took three days. And this system requires a lot more work to set up and more trust than a buyer/seller transaction.
You might want to check out zelle or venmo for instant transfers. There are probably others, but I've had good success with those.