Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2020, 02:03 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
cprobertson1's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Irvine, Ayrshire
Posts: 293
I need a better calendar app...

TL;DR - I need a new calendar app with the following features:
  • Web and Android compatible
  • Event reminders greater than 4 weeks (ideally unlimited, but up to 6 months in advance)
  • One-off-purchase (no subscriptions, unless they are very, very cheap)

Any suggestions? Any idea if there's anywhere on the intewebs I can ask for suggestions?




Google calendar is my usual calendar app - but it only allows a maximum of a 4-week reminder... I have a bunch of things needing reminders MORE than 4-weeks in advance...

I have six different projects, each of which requires reminders 4,8,12,24, and 32 weeks in advance so I can get the purchase orders in properly. I also need to prebook an exam 3 months in advance, I need to move over my 0% balance transfer cards 6 months before they end, which means looking for a new one 7 months before it ends, and I need to book my renewals for my certifications 5 months before they are due.

This is all very annoying - if I want to do it in google calendar, I need to create an event-per-reminder, which is useless! That'd be 30 events for my engineering projects alone!

As a workaround, I could use excel to calculate all the required event reminders and then import them - but that's crazy! I shouldn't have to do that every time I want to add in an event with long reminders!

02-06-2020, 02:30 AM   #2
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,836
QuoteOriginally posted by cprobertson1 Quote
TL;DR - I need a new calendar app with the following features:
  • Web and Android compatible
  • Event reminders greater than 4 weeks (ideally unlimited, but up to 6 months in advance)
  • One-off-purchase (no subscriptions, unless they are very, very cheap)

Any suggestions? Any idea if there's anywhere on the intewebs I can ask for suggestions?




Google calendar is my usual calendar app - but it only allows a maximum of a 4-week reminder... I have a bunch of things needing reminders MORE than 4-weeks in advance...

I have six different projects, each of which requires reminders 4,8,12,24, and 32 weeks in advance so I can get the purchase orders in properly. I also need to prebook an exam 3 months in advance, I need to move over my 0% balance transfer cards 6 months before they end, which means looking for a new one 7 months before it ends, and I need to book my renewals for my certifications 5 months before they are due.

This is all very annoying - if I want to do it in google calendar, I need to create an event-per-reminder, which is useless! That'd be 30 events for my engineering projects alone!

As a workaround, I could use excel to calculate all the required event reminders and then import them - but that's crazy! I shouldn't have to do that every time I want to add in an event with long reminders!
The standard Calendar app that comes with Android tablets seem capable of an reminder many weeks in advance. I can't see a way to have multiple reminders for the same calendar entry though. You can, however, set the event to repeat
at certain intervals and set your multiple reminders for the events that way.
02-06-2020, 02:44 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
cprobertson1's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Irvine, Ayrshire
Posts: 293
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
The standard Calendar app that comes with Android tablets seem capable of an reminder many weeks in advance. I can't see a way to have multiple reminders for the same calendar entry though. You can, however, set the event to repeat
at certain intervals and set your multiple reminders for the events that way.
The default app these days is google calendar I'm afraid - you can set up to 5 reminder notifications... provided they're less than 4 weeks

I'm writing a quick excel table and script to generate a number of new events in lieu of reminders - but I shouldn't have to do this! Especially when my 1991 Amstrad notepad computer can set reminders at arbitrary intervals with its calender!

If it were just one event like this I'd do it by hand, but I have about 40 reminders that I need to manually put in.

I'll have a look at a few project management apps which are specifically designed for scheduling things like that - but it's not great that I have to go to such lengths!
02-06-2020, 03:32 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Riggomatic's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Auburn, Indiana
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,798
QuoteOriginally posted by cprobertson1 Quote
TL;DR - I need a new calendar app with the following features:
  • Web and Android compatible
  • Event reminders greater than 4 weeks (ideally unlimited, but up to 6 months in advance)
  • One-off-purchase (no subscriptions, unless they are very, very cheap)

Any suggestions? Any idea if there's anywhere on the intewebs I can ask for suggestions?




Google calendar is my usual calendar app - but it only allows a maximum of a 4-week reminder... I have a bunch of things needing reminders MORE than 4-weeks in advance...

I have six different projects, each of which requires reminders 4,8,12,24, and 32 weeks in advance so I can get the purchase orders in properly. I also need to prebook an exam 3 months in advance, I need to move over my 0% balance transfer cards 6 months before they end, which means looking for a new one 7 months before it ends, and I need to book my renewals for my certifications 5 months before they are due.

This is all very annoying - if I want to do it in google calendar, I need to create an event-per-reminder, which is useless! That'd be 30 events for my engineering projects alone!

As a workaround, I could use excel to calculate all the required event reminders and then import them - but that's crazy! I shouldn't have to do that every time I want to add in an event with long reminders!
Sounds like you need something similar to an equipment preventative maintenance app, or a to-do list app.

Look at upkeep, or any.do in the playstore.

02-06-2020, 03:50 AM - 1 Like   #5
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,836
QuoteOriginally posted by cprobertson1 Quote
The default app these days is google calendar I'm afraid - you can set up to 5 reminder notifications... provided they're less than 4 weeks

I'm writing a quick excel table and script to generate a number of new events in lieu of reminders - but I shouldn't have to do this! Especially when my 1991 Amstrad notepad computer can set reminders at arbitrary intervals with its calender!

If it were just one event like this I'd do it by hand, but I have about 40 reminders that I need to manually put in.

I'll have a look at a few project management apps which are specifically designed for scheduling things like that - but it's not great that I have to go to such lengths!
Have a look at Project Schedule Free, on Android.
02-06-2020, 04:14 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
cprobertson1's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Irvine, Ayrshire
Posts: 293
Original Poster
Will do - thanks folks!
02-06-2020, 05:30 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
mhoule418's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Quebec city
Posts: 129
I use WeekCal (on iOS) for years (it’s available for Android.)
Not free.
02-06-2020, 05:44 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,537
perhaps the OP could use a " count down " app

I use "Final Countdown "
QuoteQuote:
App Features:
✔ Countdown app and Countdown Widget
✔ Resizable Widget included for the home screen
✔ Cloud Backup using Facebook login
✔ Sync countdowns across Android and iOS devices
✔ Customize recurring countdowns, pick days of the week, biweekly and many more
✔ Shows year, months, weeks, days, weekdays, hours, minutes and *seconds*!
✔ Embed Countdown widget into a website
✔ 300+ FREE HD Background iaamages
✔ Share live personalized countdowns across mobile platforms Android, iOS and web share countdown through Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp, Google+, Instagram, Kik, Vine, Tumblr, Sina Weibo, text sms, email
✔ Milliseconds - We have that too!
✔ Import events from live phone Calendar
✔ Import Facebook birthdays
✔ See live countdown from Web View on Mobile, Desktop, Smart TV
✔ Customizable skins design your own widget skins
✔ LCD, LED, Roboto fonts, plus extra special fonts
✔ Choose and crop your own background image!
✔ Pre loaded events for Christmas, New Year and the Weekend
✔ You can also Count Up from a point in time!
✔ Supports multiple countdowns - as many as you want
✔ Low CPU/Battery usage
✔ Reminder and to-do alerts
✔ Custom alarm ringtones
✔ Automatically accounts for Timezone and Daylight Savings Time changes.
✔ Has a simple countdown timer for short-term countdowns

App Description
The only live Countdown timer that has seconds on the widget to add to your home screen. You can also see the milliseconds roll off fast to your live event. You only live once (yolo), so put a timer on your life and begin living with purpose every day. A free truly one of kind live digital timer to add urgency, excitement, calendar reminders and positive thinking to your life. Add widgets directly to your home screen as background.

Countdown to events that you have been looking forward to like Birthdays, New Year, Vacation, Holiday, Wedding, Anniversary.
Final Countdown - Widget - Apps on Google Play

?Final Countdown Timer on the App*Store

02-06-2020, 07:25 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
brewmaster15's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: CT
Posts: 1,074
I'm a caregiver of two very ill parents, they have an insane number of appointments..Add to it two active teens and its a packed calendar. I've been using the Cozi app.. Its nice because you can easily include others on it so my whole family or work associates gets notices and updates, it gives email notices at set intervals. The free version is okay, I sprung for the paid version as it better met my needs.


Check it out on google play.

al
02-06-2020, 08:53 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
cprobertson1's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Irvine, Ayrshire
Posts: 293
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
perhaps the OP could use a " count down " app
I use "Final Countdown "
Final Countdown - Widget - Apps on Google Play
?Final Countdown Timer on the App*Store
That actually seems like a useful app for a bunch of my random projects... it is, however, going to make me turn absolutely paranoid/obsessive if I put it on my 0%BTC-changeover date, or any of my scheduled payments!

Lots of suggestions there - I shall look into all of them, because that is how I roll! Many thanks for all the suggestions (do let me know if I missed any!)
  • Any.do
  • Upkeep
  • Project Schedule
  • WeekCal
  • Cozi
  • Final Countdown
02-06-2020, 04:05 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
mhoule418's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Quebec city
Posts: 129
Well, I was in a rush when I replied your post.
after checking (just a bit) to see if WeekCal meet the *> 4 weeks reminder*, it may not qualify your requirement.

Yours to check... Sorry about my post!
02-06-2020, 10:51 PM   #12
PDL
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Woodinville, WA USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,851
You could use Outlook..

Yes, that is me ducking behind my screen.
02-07-2020, 02:24 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
cprobertson1's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Irvine, Ayrshire
Posts: 293
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
You could use Outlook..

Yes, that is me ducking behind my screen.
The thought actually crossed my mind... I feel dirty for having said that.

I am afraid that I am still going to have to lob things over your screen though... sorry! It's a matter of principle. If it makes you feel any better I agree with your suggestion entirely.
02-07-2020, 02:44 AM   #14
PDL
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Woodinville, WA USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,851
I use Outlook on my Android phone because I don't want to send all that stuff to Google. (I know a lot of information gets sent to Google anyway, but I have never used Chrome or gmail on my phone) I downloaded the Microsoft launcher - no if they would just put the Windows 10 UI on it - that would be sweet.
02-10-2020, 08:13 AM   #15
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Gorgarath's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 428
While not a calendar app specifically, I use to use an agenda widget that sadly stopped being updated a few years ago. It was great in that it would combine my different Google calendars from different accounts as well as my Outlook calendar from work on a full 5x5, scrollable widget. (They have different sizes, but I would just add an extra page to the left of my home screen with the full 5x5. I toyed briefly with either a single or double row on my main screen, but got rid of it quickly for the 5x5 on its own page.)

Luckily, I have found OneCalendar which seems to have incorporated at least some of the features and is one of the few apps I've found that will actually pull in Outlook as well as Google in a single agenda widget.

Not what you're looking for at the moment, but might be something you find useful anyway.

(I've not looked into many of its features, so it may even provide reminders. I generally don't use reminders for very much at all, so it's not something I've ever looked into.)
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
advance, app, calendar, event, google, months, projects, weeks
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need advice on iPhone camera app with manual settings and panorama stitching app. Emacs Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 2 10-18-2018 12:49 PM
need watermark app for free luis garcia General Photography 6 09-06-2018 01:08 PM
Can I use PhotoSync app as an alternative to Image Sync WIFI app? Astroaurora Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 2 12-24-2015 01:25 PM
NEW PRODUCT: Canon, Olympus, and Nikon unveil App-e-ture: the app store for your digi johnmflores Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 3 04-06-2010 10:58 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:28 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top