Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2008, 06:38 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You're not gonna believe this

Here is the picture for you.
A week off. Wife & I pack up up the Nissan Murano with our camera gear and head off to the Central Coast region of NSW.

The aim is some R&R in a quiet cottage, lots of photos, a bottle of red or two and more photos. The region is very scenic and has lots of waterfalls and rain forest.

Anyway, is all going well, arrive at our cottage which surpasses our hopes, settle in and complete one the aims....that is drink a very nice red.

Next day its off on a drive and "pop", I blew a tyre, front left, on the Murano, thanks to an errant rock through the sidewall (dirt road).

No big issue, change the tyre........but forgot that the spare is one of those "space saver things". Job done, we limp off for some 40 km to the nearest town.
No tyres available in that town and now had a daunting task of driving down a mountain road with this ridiculous excuse for a spare tyre on the front left. Not nice.

To add to my joy, the weather has now closed in and the road is wet.

We limp down the mountain to a larger town near our accommodation and arrive outside the local tyre dealer at about 4.50pm. Ask him for a tyre for the Murano.
This apparently is quite funny, as it caused much mirth amongst the staff, who eventually stopped laughing long enough to tell me that I had no chance of buying an 18 inch tyre of that type. Try the next town they said....40km further down the road. Our accommodation was closer so we called it a day a limped off to lick our wounds.

Now the fun really starts. Having been a bit dis-concerted by the reaction I had the previous day about buying a tyre, I found the local yellow pages and rang ahead.
The town in question is a large town with every major tyre retailer having a store plus a number of independants.

Many phone calls later....this is the situation:

The tyre is simply not available and must be ordered in from either Sydney or Brisbane......
IF it is ordered before 11am it will arrive the following day.....
Just imagine if this happened at 1pm on a Friday....you would be stranded until Tuesday and even longer if you were inland where freight connections are not daily.
Now unable to use the Murano because a) It was not reccommended to drive on this "space saver spare" unless in an emergency. & b) driving without a spare is risky at any time, but now knowing what i knew it was simply crazy to do so....I was not a happy camper.

So the week was a write off, read a couple of books and drank a bit more red than I probably should have ....but did get some R&R, so not all was lost.

The moral of the story, the Nissan is now missin', having been replaced by a Ford Escape that runs a 16 inch tyre that can be bought anywhere and comes complete with full sized spare. The whole episode was one huge joke and a damning indictment of Nissan.

Incredible that a tyre could not be purchased?? !!. I thought so....but it is true.
Cheers
Grant

10-25-2008, 07:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I have headache just from reading your tale, can only imagine what yours must have been like. I can't believe the spare is not recommended to drive. How insane is this! Another cheap way for Nissan to increase profits and put it's drivers at risk. Not to mention the tyre can't be purchased. Enjoy the Ford...the Escape is a great vehicle.

Glad the week wasn't a complete lost. Hope you managed a few photos as well
10-25-2008, 08:40 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dazman Quote
I can't believe the spare is not recommended to drive. How insane is this!
This is quite common - many cars have "donuts" we call them - they're small spares with crappy rims, only meant to get you far enough so you can find some place to fix/replace the flat one. It does stink, and it's a bummer for your lost week, Grant.
10-25-2008, 09:05 PM   #4
Damn Brit

That sucks mate.
A case of cut corners, lose customers. They are designed to look a bit like an off roader but that's it. Most of them on the road probably only are used for the school run and shopping.

10-25-2008, 09:11 PM   #5
Inactive Account

The only place for donuts is next to the coffee. Both my vehicles have full size spares. But then again they're a working man's vehicle. Not some soccer mom's toy. Yeah most of the new "SUV's" are just large bodies on a car chassis. Only made for show, not real go.

Last edited by JavaJoe; 12-01-2008 at 09:17 PM.
10-27-2008, 01:52 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Yes but how often do we see "that woman" or "that guy" in a green Dodge Stratus or maroon Ford Taurus driving 70 miles per hour on the highway or drifting around the neighborhood for a month on one of those tiny spare tires. It always amazes me yet somehow they survive.
Everyone go and check the tire pressure of your spare tire right now.
10-27-2008, 02:55 PM   #7
Pentaxian

It probably would have made more sense to buy a full sized tyre and rim for the Murano, which is, by far, the better vehicle than the Ford.

I've owned one of each of the North American domestic brands (Ford, GM, Chrysler), each of which turned out to be utter cr@p vehicles, and am now on my third Nissan.
My first one was an Axxess, which I put over 200,000 K onto, with a total maintenace bill of less than $1000.00 (not including perishables such as oil and brakes).
I now drive a full sized Titan, with 17 inch rims and rather large tyres. It has a full sized spare, and I waited until my original tyres were ~ 50% worn, and replaced them. Now, if I am planning a trip to the boonies (I kind of live there already), I toss a couple of tyres into the box, so in the event I have a tyre disaster, I have a couple of spares that can be mounted.
Even where I am, it took a couple of weeks to get the new tyre set in. No one keeps odd sized tyres in stock.
10-27-2008, 03:00 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Wheatfield,
Yep, went there while they fitting the new tyre.....but a full size spare will not fit in the hole.
UInfortuneatley the Murano is simply an urban cruiser, a very nice one, but not a vehicle you would take out of its comfort zone.

10-27-2008, 05:29 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Aussie roads
Worse than an Aussie cricket team in India! (Says me with NZ having scraped past Bangladesh!)
10-28-2008, 09:25 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Hi Wheatfield,
Yep, went there while they fitting the new tyre.....but a full size spare will not fit in the hole.
Unfortunately the Murano is simply an urban cruiser, a very nice one, but not a vehicle you would take out of its comfort zone.
True enough. And annoying as well. Even my wife's X-Trail has a full size spare, and it's probably a third the price of a Murano. I'm betting that Nissan figures that anyone who spends Murano $$ on a car isn't going to risk bashing the sheet metal by driving off-road.
Obviously, they didn't take Aussies into account......
10-28-2008, 02:01 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It probably would have made more sense to buy a full sized tyre and rim for the Murano, which is, by far, the better vehicle than the Ford.

I've owned one of each of the North American domestic brands (Ford, GM, Chrysler), each of which turned out to be utter cr@p vehicles, and am now on my third Nissan.
My first one was an Axxess, which I put over 200,000 K onto, with a total maintenace bill of less than $1000.00 (not including perishables such as oil and brakes).
I now drive a full sized Titan, with 17 inch rims and rather large tyres. It has a full sized spare, and I waited until my original tyres were ~ 50% worn, and replaced them. Now, if I am planning a trip to the boonies (I kind of live there already), I toss a couple of tyres into the box, so in the event I have a tyre disaster, I have a couple of spares that can be mounted.
Even where I am, it took a couple of weeks to get the new tyre set in. No one keeps odd sized tyres in stock.

Third Nissan eh? Should went with the American make. I still have both of mine. (You have to actually change the oil and brakes, Hmmm guess I better go do that someday. Maybe I should go see if there is any oil left first)

Last edited by JavaJoe; 12-01-2008 at 09:19 PM.
10-28-2008, 02:22 PM   #12

The reason for the small spare tire is not cost. It is the space. The designers have to account for every cubic inch and the space required for a full-size tire compromises too many other feature. Face it, no buyer of a hip vehicle is going to make his decision based on the SPARE TIRE.

My SUV has a full-size spare on it. Then again, it is a typical American old-school pig: Chevy Suburban.

I had a flat once in my work car. Traveling with a group of colleagues 400 miles from home. All I had was the stupid donut. After that, I keep a full size tire in the trunk even though it won't fit in the required space. It takes up half the trunk and slides around annoyingly. Still, I have a real spare.
10-28-2008, 03:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JavaJoe Quote
The only place for donuts is next to the coffee.
Mmmmmm.... you are true to your name.
10-28-2008, 05:28 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Mmmmmm.... you are true to your name.
MMMMmmmCoffee.............Coffee.......

Don't actually like donuts though, too sweet. But coffeeeeee must have coffeeeee
10-28-2008, 06:58 PM   #15
Inactive Account

JavaJoe...I'm right here!

c[_]