Original Poster
Some product names that have become "common English" words:

escalator
Frisbee
ping-pong
windbreaker
Scotch tape
zipper

On line there's a list of 50 such terms, but some have not fully detached from the company that originated the item (e.g. Velcro, sometimes still called "hook-and-loop" fabric or fastener by other manufacturers)

07-26-2020, 10:35 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote

escalator
Frisbee
ping-pong
windbreaker
Scotch tape
zipper

On line there's a list of 50 such terms, but some have not fully detached from the company that originated the item (e.g. Velcro, sometimes still called "hook-and-loop" fabric or fastener by other manufacturers)
Also
Kleenex,
Teflon Pans

Remember Ethyl as a grade of gasoline? AKA Loaded with Lead!
07-26-2020, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Also
Kleenex,
Teflon Pans

Remember Ethyl as a grade of gasoline? AKA Loaded with Lead!
FYI: The company that introduced Kleenex, and invented that term, is fighting a legal battle to prevent "Kleenex" from becoming a common word and thereby losing it as their unique product name.

AND: Somewhere I have instructions for "How to make Ethyl Palpitate."

Last edited by WPRESTO; 07-26-2020 at 02:26 PM.
07-26-2020, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

: Somewhere I have instructions for "How to make Ethyl Palpitate."
What, pray tell, would Ethyl Palpitate be used for? Stopping heart murmurs that occur due to an attraction to Ethel Merman?

07-26-2020, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #35
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Okay, speaking of interesting trivia:
Multiple studies have shown that if your parents had no children, you likely won't either.

Sorry.

Carry on.
07-26-2020, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
What, pray tell, would Ethyl Palpitate be used for? Stopping heart murmurs that occur due to an attraction to Ethel Merman?
You've half grasped the point. Making ethyl palpitate doesn't result in a substance, it describes the effect on a lady, and not Ethyl Merman, I hope.

Sometime I must type out and post the dangers of oxygen dihydride.
07-26-2020, 03:20 PM   #37
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Sometime I must type out and post the dangers of oxygen dihydride.
Noooooooooooooooooooo!
According to the MSDS that stuff is deadly.

07-26-2020, 03:22 PM - 1 Like   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Each day in1984 Americans threw out 150,000 (English) tons of cardboard boxes, paper bags and wrappers. If all of it were packed into 18-wheeler tractor trailer trucks, those trucks aligned bumper-to-bumper would extend 120 miles.
I wonder what the number is today - more curbside recycling* vs. more delivery boxes.

* my community (27,500 residents) picks up weekly a single-stream list of recyclables: plastics; metals; paper / cardboard. We have 3 54-gallon rollout containers, non-recyclable material (rarely full), recyclable material (have to break down the boxes and crush the cans to fit it all in), and garden waste (we break down sticks). We have an additional recycling collection facility for overflow and other communities to use. We PAY $20 a month for this service. None of our recyclables goes to landfill (certified 3rd-party audited). We mulch the garden waste at a city facility and sell it to landscapers. This works economically because 1). our landfill tipping fees are low (less trash); 2). our recyclables are clean so our buyer didn’t cancel our contract when China quit buying; 3). we sell the garden waste and 4).we pay the shortfall. We own our equipment and all our employees are city employees. These services are not a City Budget line item (no net cost to the city).

If every community would do what we’ve done we wouldn’t have a waste problem.
07-26-2020, 04:47 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Long ago our town became a test site to see whether people would actually sort material to be recycled. There are the following crushers or disposal bins: 1) cardboard and brown paper (but no pizza boxes); 2) plastic (but no petroleum/oil containers; no lids; no containers more than one gallon, no Styrofoam or similar foam plastic); 3) plain paper, including books; 4) metal cans, bottles, glass of all kinds, and curiously, milk cartons; 5) take-it-or-leave-it shed; 6) big tank for waste motor oil; 7) brush, branches, leaves and similar yard waste; 8) "white goods" including TV's; extra fees for some articles (e.g. CRT or refrigerant); 9) small bins for several different kinds of batteries; 10) big bin for large metal items such as bed springs, old lawnmowers, metal shelving, old metal fence posts, etc.; 11) large bin for waste lumber, old furniture, mattresses, etc (extra fee for some items); 12) garbage = most everything else. One thing the town does not have that an adjacent town does is a bin for Styrofoam. Has the experiment worked? Pretty well I think but sometimes one wonders. Plastic recycling has gone sour now that China is not taking it. I don't know what happens to the plastic that goes into that crusher but I fear it now ends up either in an incinerator or a landfill with the mixed garbage.
07-26-2020, 04:52 PM - 2 Likes   #40
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

escalator
Frisbee
ping-pong
windbreaker
Scotch tape
zipper

Also the verb, to "hoover".
07-26-2020, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

ometime I must type out and post the dangers of oxygen dihydride.
That would be Di-Hydrogen Monoxide. Deadly stuff.
07-26-2020, 06:42 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Long ago our town became a test site to see whether people would actually sort material to be recycled. There are the following crushers or disposal bins: 1) cardboard and brown paper (but no pizza boxes); 2) plastic (but no petroleum/oil containers; no lids; no containers more than one gallon, no Styrofoam or similar foam plastic); 3) plain paper, including books; 4) metal cans, bottles, glass of all kinds, and curiously, milk cartons; 5) take-it-or-leave-it shed; 6) big tank for waste motor oil; 7) brush, branches, leaves and similar yard waste; 8) "white goods" including TV's; extra fees for some articles (e.g. CRT or refrigerant); 9) small bins for several different kinds of batteries; 10) big bin for large metal items such as bed springs, old lawnmowers, metal shelving, old metal fence posts, etc.; 11) large bin for waste lumber, old furniture, mattresses, etc (extra fee for some items); 12) garbage = most everything else. One thing the town does not have that an adjacent town does is a bin for Styrofoam. Has the experiment worked? Pretty well I think but sometimes one wonders. Plastic recycling has gone sour now that China is not taking it. I don't know what happens to the plastic that goes into that crusher but I fear it now ends up either in an incinerator or a landfill with the mixed garbage.
Yikes! That’s complicated. At our drop-pff site - the one open to everyone - there are bins for cardboard, any kind of paper, three colors of glass 9(clear, brown, green), and any recyclable plastic.

Anything large (white goods and anything else like furniture and mattresses) we can arrange a large item pickup for $65. You get three lifts of the traditional trash truck. The fourth lift costs another $65.

Surprisingly, people generally behave. I think paying for the service makes people more responsible. If it was free, like in most other nearby municipalities, no one bothers to wash out their cans, take off the bottle tops or separate the trash and other stuff.
07-26-2020, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

escalator
Frisbee
ping-pong
windbreaker
Scotch tape
zipper

Super Glue can also be added to this list.

Coke might as well be added too. It's not the official name but a lot of people use it when referring to a cola drink.
07-26-2020, 08:23 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Ok I want offer to all of you very good game
This game very good test you photo memory
skills
Cal Geoguessr
May you familiar if not try