Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2020, 08:03 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting Trivia

North of New York City, west of the Hudson, there's a town called Tuxedo Park. It is and always has been a place of wealth studded with mansions and a population as of 2010 of about 630. A-Ha! I thought, the town was named by its developer to project its exclusivity. Not so. It turns out the name of the town comes from a Native American language and means something like "crooked water" (the word is sometimes spelled "tucsedo"). The men's formal dress now called a "tuxedo" was brought to the town by a man named Price who got the clothing style from then Prince of Wales, later Edward VII. So the suit takes its name from the town which takes its name from a First Nations word.

ALSO: Emily Post wrote her original book on etiquette based on her observations of life among the wealthy of Tuxedo Park.

I found that interesting, and GOOGLE if you want the names of notables who peopled the mansions of Tuxedo Park from the late 19th century to the present (J.P. Morgan was one).

Last edited by MarkJerling; 02-10-2020 at 12:28 PM.
02-10-2020, 02:30 PM - 5 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Did Henry Ford really say “You can have it in any colour, so long as it’s black”?

When a comment is repeated often enough, it’s amazing how we can come to believe that it is true. According to several Ford family and business researchers, there’s no proof that Henry Ford ever made this statement. Yet, the public largely think that Model T Fords were only available in black.

MODEL T FORD Colours, by year of production:

EARLY 1909 (Carmine Red, Brewster Green, Green & Grey)

(First 2500 cars)

Touring: Carmine Red or Brewster Green.

Runabout: Grey.

Town Car, Landaulet, and Coupe: Green.

Fenders, aprons, frame and running gear were painted body colour.

August 1, 1909 to November 1910, approximately. (Brewster Green)

All cars were painted Brewster Green with red striping. Fenders, aprons, running boards, chassis and running gear were also painted body colour.

1911 (Mostly Dark - Midnight - Blue, some Red and some Green)

Almost all cars were painted a very dark blue. Black is reported as an available colour but Ford records do not indicate black as a standard colour. A few Red Open Runabouts and green Town Cars were built in April 1911. It is possible that there were green early 1911 models; the date of the body change is unknown but both “blue” and “green” cars were built in later 1910 (after the 1910 fiscal year ended).

Fenders and aprons were painted body colour, although either blue or black, might have been used, based on surviving samples.

Striping of fenders and running gear began to be phased out about July on many cars.

1912 (Dark - Midnight - Blue, some Red, mostly with Black or Midnight Blue fenders)

Almost all cars were painted a very dark blue. Black is reported as an available colour but Ford records do not indicate black as a standard colour. Delivery cars came in Red (or unpainted) with the standard blue fenders. (Fender colour is listed as “black” in the 1912 Factory Facts booklet; both blue and black seem to have been used, based on existing, seemingly original, cars.) Chassis was painted black. Delivery cars discontinued at end of 1912. Body striping discontinued on most models except for Tourers.

1913 (Midnight Blue with either Midnight Blue or Black fenders)

Initially all cars were painted a very dark blue, with either blue or black fenders. Black became the standard colour early in the year. Rumble seats discontinued on runabouts from 4th February 1913. Wheels have French Grey striping.

1914 (Mostly Black, some Midnight Blue, maybe some Brewster Green)

All cars were painted black, with black fenders, except for touring bodies, which were painted blue until October, 1914. (Some Ford archives documents seem to indicate that Touring bodies changed to black, from Brewster Green, only on 20th February 1919.Closed car bodies still had a Carmine Red stripe.

1915 to 1925 (Black with Black fenders)

All cars were painted black, with black fenders. Black radiator shells from August 1916. So, these are the years you could have a Model T Ford in any colour, so long as it was black!

1926 (Initially Black with Black fenders, later Commercial Green, Channel Green, Windsor Maroon, Drake Green and Highland Green.)

All cars were painted black, with black fenders, initially. Closed cars were then offered in colours: Commercial Green and Channel Green for the Tudor and Coupe, and Windsor Maroon for the Fordor. Other options offered later in 1926, perhaps for the “1927” models, Drake Green and Highland Green.

1927 (Commercial Green, Channel Green, Drake Green, Highland Green, Phoenix Brown, Gunmetal Blue, Moleskin, Royal Maroon, all with Black fenders)

All cars had black fenders. Various body colour options, ultimately on all models. Black no longer available except on special order.

Colours available in 1927: Commercial Green, Channel Green, Drake Green, Highland Green, Phoenix Brown, Gunmetal Blue, Moleskin, Royal Maroon.

Conclusion:

The early 1909 models were red and grey, but in the middle of 1909 this gave way to a dark green. During December 1910 and January, 1911, the dark green in turn was changed to a dark, midnight blue. Finally, in late 1914 to early 1915 the blues were replaced with just plain black on the open cars. From this point until the introduction of the “Improved Models” which appeared in August 1925, black was the standard colour. Roughly 11,500,000 cars were produced during this time. There is no evidence that Henry Ford ever said: “You can have it in any colour, so long as it’s black." Colours, in total: Red, Green, Grey, Brewster Green, Midnight Blue, Commercial Green, Channel Green, Windsor Maroon, Drake Green, Highland Green, Phoenix Brown, Gunmetal Blue, Moleskin and Royal Maroon. Therefore, a minimum of 14 colours. Because of the variation between batches of early colours it’s possible that there were more colours than this.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 02-10-2020 at 05:52 PM.
02-10-2020, 02:55 PM - 7 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Bagpipes were once classified as a weapon of war rather than a musical instrument.

Among the captured at the Battle of Culloden (in 1746) was a piper, James Reid. Reid claimed that he was not guilty of treason due to the fact that he did not raise a weapon against the crown; he only had his bagpipes that day. The courts ruled that since the Scots never marched to war without the pipes, they were in fact a weapon of war. This was unfortunate for Reid, as he was therefore guilty of high treason and was consequently hanged, drawn and quartered.

More recently, in 1996, David Brooks was charged with playing bagpipes on the Hampstead Heath. There's a bylaw in place that prohibits the playing of musical instruments there without permission. The defence then argued that Reid's case set a legal precedent, and that Brooks was not playing a musical instrument. To this, the magistrate responded that Brooks could then be charged with the far harsher crime of carrying a dangerous weapon on the heath...
02-10-2020, 04:35 PM - 1 Like   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Bagpipes were once classified as a weapon of war rather than a musical instrument.

Among the captured at the Battle of Culloden (in 1746) was a piper, James Reid. Reid claimed that he was not guilty of treason due to the fact that he did not raise a weapon against the crown; he only had his bagpipes that day. The courts ruled that since the Scots never marched to war without the pipes, they were in fact a weapon of war. This was unfortunate for Reid, as he was therefore guilty of high treason and was consequently hanged, drawn and quartered.

More recently, in 1996, David Brooks was charged with playing bagpipes on the Hampstead Heath. There's a bylaw in place that prohibits the playing of musical instruments there without permission. The defence then argued that Reid's case set a legal precedent, and that Brooks was not playing a musical instrument. To this, the magistrate responded that Brooks could then be charged with the far harsher crime of carrying a dangerous weapon on the heath...
the magistrate wasn't Scottish for sure

02-11-2020, 11:47 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
If the horse has both front legs raised, the rider died in battle.

If the horse has 1 front leg raised, the rider died from injuries received in battle.

If the horse is standing on all four feet, the rider died of natural causes.
I know of several examples of all of these that prove it to be false. The statue of George Washington in the Boston Public Garden has one leg raised and Washington died of strep throat.
02-11-2020, 12:10 PM   #6
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Did Henry Ford really say “You can have it in any colour, so long as it’s black”?
I run a weekly, and occasionally twice a week if I'm covering for someone else, trivia contest and actually used "In how many colors did Ford offer the Model T?" a few weeks ago. Which reminds me, I should start looking for questions so I'm not all in a rush tomorrow to get them ready before the contest.
02-11-2020, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

years ago, I lost a trivia contest on a call in show

question

what states were Republics before becoming part of the US

they said two Texas and Vermont

correct answer is three

add California - the Bear Republic

02-11-2020, 12:19 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
If the horse has both front legs raised, the rider died in battle.

If the horse has 1 front leg raised, the rider died from injuries received in battle.

If the horse is standing on all four feet, the rider died of natural causes.
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I know of several examples of all of these that prove it to be false. The statue of George Washington in the Boston Public Garden has one leg raised and Washington died of strep throat.

I'm pretty sure this rider isn't dead, yet...

Sorry Peter
02-11-2020, 01:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I'm pretty sure this rider isn't dead, yet...

Sorry Peter
Longest Reigning Monarch of the British Empire (or whatever it is called these days! ) I should say she is not!
02-11-2020, 03:19 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gorgarath Quote
I run a weekly, and occasionally twice a week if I'm covering for someone else, trivia contest and actually used "In how many colors did Ford offer the Model T?" a few weeks ago. Which reminds me, I should start looking for questions so I'm not all in a rush tomorrow to get them ready before the contest.
Neat! What was your total number of colours? I'm keen to know if I missed any!
02-11-2020, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

An interesting bit of trivia on the tux. Mark's post on color made me smile about a wedding I shot a few years ago. While the traditional tuxedo is black, this groom and his best man, wishing to portray true Adirondack Redneck style, managed to find tuxedos in Mossy Oak camo. I wonder if Emily Post would approve.
02-11-2020, 06:13 PM   #12
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Neat! What was your total number of colours? I'm keen to know if I missed any!
5 was the answer I had, though I don't recall off the top of my head which I had. I believe I still have the note card on my computer, so I can check later if you'd like.
02-11-2020, 08:45 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

5 was the answer I had, though I don't recall off the top of my head which I had. I believe I still have the note card on my computer, so I can check later if you'd like.
Aha. I recon you were short a few.
02-11-2020, 11:34 PM   #14
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Aha. I recon you were short a few.
I have the same 5 you list in your conclusion: red, grey, blue, green and black.
02-12-2020, 02:27 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the same 5 you list in your conclusion: red, grey, blue, green and black.
Ah yes. But, of course there were several different blues etc. But, point taken.