Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
03-16-2020, 03:01 PM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I'm French-speaking, I can understand and be mostly understood in Spanish, and consider myself fully fluent in English.

I can understand that being a Canadian you are fluent in both French and English.

Regarding your abilities in Spanish though , would you say that it is because both French and Spanish are from the same language group.... the Romance group and due to some similarities of these languages...Spanish was something you could understand and able to speak at a certain level due to your mastery of French ?

I ask because my base language is English, however I found I was able to pick up enough German to get by....through going out with a girl for awhile, who was of German background and spoke fluent German . This was some 45 years ago and she taught me a number of German phrases. After awhile I was able to form some simple sentences and understand ..a bit...when she spoke in German.

03-16-2020, 03:05 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I once used my high school french (to impress a date) to order at MacDonalds in Montreal. I didn't get what I thought i ordered, but, she didn't need to know that.
03-16-2020, 05:02 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I once used my high school french (to impress a date) to order at MacDonalds in Montreal. I didn't get what I thought i ordered, but, she didn't need to know that.
"Impress a date" and "order at McDonalds" aren't phrases you often see together
03-17-2020, 05:08 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I can understand that being a Canadian you are fluent in both French and English.
Mostly correct. I believe that, since there are about 25% French-speaking canadians, it's more likely that a Frenchie will speak English than the reverse. Though from my understanding many English-canadians place value in making sure their kids learn French in school.

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Regarding your abilities in Spanish though , would you say that it is because both French and Spanish are from the same language group.... the Romance group and due to some similarities of these languages...Spanish was something you could understand and able to speak at a certain level due to your mastery of French ?
I learned Spanish by going to an "international" school in high school. Two years of Spanish, plus one year of practise at lunchtime, and trying to use it when travelling. I can manage but I'm not fluent.

French and Spanish are a bit similar, but not as much as I'd wish for. There's still a lot to learn.

03-17-2020, 06:43 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
It was lunch and we were travelling from Toronto to Sherbrooke Quebec, so one of those roadside pull offs linked to the highway, there wasn't a lot of choice. Sometimes you just have to go with the flow.

IN my whole life I've been forced to eat at a MacDonalds probably less than 20 times.
03-17-2020, 09:05 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Exactly what I thought!

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I learned Spanish by going to an "international" school in high school. Two years of Spanish, plus one year of practise at lunchtime, and trying to use it when travelling. I can manage but I'm not fluent.

French and Spanish are a bit similar, but not as much as I'd wish for. There's still a lot to learn.
They say that when two languages are very similar it's more difficult to learn the second as it's easy to confuse one with the other. There's a technical term for this, it might be interference, but I don't remember.
03-17-2020, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
They say that when two languages are very similar it's more difficult to learn the second as it's easy to confuse one with the other. There's a technical term for this, it might be interference, but I don't remember.
My main challenge was actually between English (2nd language) and Spanish. Some words have similarities but different meanings, like travel vs trabajar (work).

03-17-2020, 10:50 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
MY high-school French was good enough to get me into the Moulin Rouge for free, along with a complimentary bottle of champagne. The doorman and maître d' thought I was a tour guide and showed me appreciation for bringing my group there. To think my French language instructor assessed my skills as weak, and my fluency as poor at best. If only we'd had smart phones back then, I'd have sent her a selfie , of me living large and drinking for free.
03-31-2020, 04:56 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I found this presentation to be very interesting