Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 72 Likes Search this Thread
02-20-2020, 08:17 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ancestry DNA test

My wife and I have both done the Ancestry DNA tests. My results came back as follows: Rather more German than I thought would be the case. The "England" part is also interesting in that they actually group England and North-Western Europe together. With all my Dutch ancestors I guess that's really accounting for most of that segment.

Attached Images

02-20-2020, 09:35 PM - 8 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I apparently come from a long line of drunks and liars who were run out of Ireland for stealing horses.
02-20-2020, 09:59 PM   #3
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
I apparently come from a long line of drunks and liars who were run out of Ireland for stealing horses.
......................................................................................................................................................................................
02-21-2020, 02:30 AM - 5 Likes   #4
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ancestry is interesting stuff.

My wife and I had our Mitochondrial DNA done years ago by the Oxford University project (Brian Sykes). The maternal line for both of us goes back to the area that is roughly now southern France about 17,000 years ago. 49 per cent of Europeans trace their maternal ancestry to there but the thing I like about it is that I can stand in front of the cave paintings in southern France (places like Font de Gaume and Roiuffinac and know that someone in my deep ancestry probably played a part in their creation or the associated ceremonies.

My wife's maiden name was Horne - a good Viking name and the fair hair to go with it. My paternal line is English back to the 16th century and back to the French/German borderlands before that. Of the four grandparents of my paternal grandmother, three were convicts and the other was the daughter of a convict. If I come to visit, don't leave your K-1 unattended.

If I ever get a more detailed DNA done it will be because I want to know how much Neanderthal DNA I have.

02-21-2020, 04:02 AM - 12 Likes   #5

Last year a friend received from her son (not the much-desired and heavily-hinted for present but instead) a DNA test kit. Apparently the son had one done and was disappointed in the low percentage of treasured Irish ancestry reported (along with Western European and Iberian peninsula ancestry) in the result. He wanted his mother to also test so that he could learn her percent Irish ancestry.

I'm not sure if my disgruntled friend actually did the test, but after several weeks of receiving her present, she sent the following message to her son: "DNA test results have returned and are as follows .... 55% Eastern European, 30% Balkan, 10% Hindi, 5% Other. No match at all with yours. My nurse friends at the hospital say babies must have been switched at birth. Come pick up your stuff."

She was much more favorably impressed with his purchasing choices her next birthday.
02-21-2020, 04:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gel56 Quote
Last year a friend received from her son (not the much-desired and heavily-hinted for present but instead) a DNA test kit. Apparently the son had one done and was disappointed in the low percentage of treasured Irish ancestry reported (along with Western European and Iberian peninsula ancestry) in the result. He wanted his mother to also test so that he could learn her percent Irish ancestry.

I'm not sure if my disgruntled friend actually did the test, but after several weeks of receiving her present, she sent the following message to her son: "DNA test results have returned and are as follows .... 55% Eastern European, 30% Balkan, 10% Hindi, 5% Other. No match at all with yours. My nurse friends at the hospital say babies must have been switched at birth. Come pick up your stuff."

She was much more favorably impressed with his purchasing choices her next birthday.
A sad story...
02-21-2020, 04:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

No DNA tests for me...I don't particularly care for how that stuff is used by various companies and agencies after the fact. Theres serious privacy concerns I have. Its tempting as I would love to know aside from being of Italian descent what else is in the mix.. but I will leave that box closed .

As a side story...I do have a good friend thats been put in an awkward position by one of these tests. He found out that another fellow in the area was most certainly a half brother on his mothers side.. quite the delema as he thought he was the oldest sibling for his whole life and now he is faced with confronting his aged mother about this other brother or ignoring their existence. This other brother was given up for adoption and has never known their family. The two "brothers" have met several times now in secret and none of the other siblings are aware nor the mother. It is quite a headache for him! He eventually managed to talk to his mother about his findings and she refused to talk about it except to say things were different back then...

AL

02-21-2020, 08:40 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Reminds me of a buddy's birthday present to his mom, when he was about 15 years old. He got her a baseball catcher's mitt...which he was hoping she would immediately re-gift to him. No...she took it back to the large department store where he had bought it and with the money bought a gift she wanted.
02-21-2020, 08:42 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote

Reminds me of a buddy's birthday present to his mom, when he was about 15 years old. He got her a baseball catcher's mitt...which he was hoping she would immediately re-gift to him. No...she took it back to the large department store where he had bought it and with the money bought a gift she wanted.
She should have bought him an oven glove for his birthday!
02-21-2020, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

I have a pretty solid guess that mine would come back with results saying “Yep, you are indeed a Mutt, with a Heinz 57 set of ancestors “... Assorted Western Europe and Nordic regions are already known, so why bother?
02-21-2020, 11:22 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
She should have bought him an oven glove for his birthday!

good one.
02-21-2020, 11:44 AM - 6 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

My father once told me that one of our family's ancestors once commanded the entire naval might of the World ...

Chap called Noah, apparently.
02-21-2020, 02:26 PM   #13
Pentaxian

This whole DNA test thing always brings to mind the paternity tests in god awful shows like Jeremy Kyle (I’m sure there are equivalents in the US that spawned the whole phenomenon).It rarely ends well!
02-21-2020, 02:29 PM   #14
Pentaxian

My ex used to watch Jerry Springer... same routine.
02-21-2020, 02:45 PM - 2 Likes   #15
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

He wanted his mother to also test so that he could learn her percent Irish ancestry.
There are some uncertainties about these "percentage ethnic origins" tests. I have read about many similar cases. In one instance someone got their DNA done by two different companies (the second one offered extra analysis). The major percentage parts of the two tests were completely different. There might be specific genetic markers which are generally associated with people from a particular area, but it is rarely absolutely definitive. If you know you are of Irish descent, then that is enough. I have a Aboriginal friend who explains it this way to young people who have some Aboriginal heritage but have had their "Aboriginality" questioned by others: Take a cup of black coffee, tip half out and replace it with milk. Tip another half out and replace with milk. Do it again, and again, etc. At what point does it stop being coffee? If you can trace your heritage back, then that is your heritage. (My great grandfather was "bog Irish" according to my mother. I think that was a bit unfair. His surname was Stewart so we were obviously descended from kings. )