Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2020, 02:47 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I’ll leave this for background and perspective:
How Accurate Are Online DNA Tests? - Scientific American

There’s a caution toward the end: “But to say that you are 20 percent Irish, 4 percent Native American or 12 percent Scandinavian is fun, trivial and has very little scientific meaning.”

02-21-2020, 03:49 PM - 12 Likes   #17
Veteran Member

When mine was done a while back I came out 52% pentaxian, 22% Minolta'non, 13% Fuji'ion, 3% Leicaphile, 10% forgetful.

My wife has her own analysis for me.... 22% lazy, 27% doesn't wash enough, 10% forgetful...... etc.... (I forgot the rest)
02-21-2020, 07:21 PM - 1 Like   #18
PDL
Pentaxian

I had my DNA tested as part of the National Geographic Societies Genome project. (Which Disney killed this year - because it's science, suggests evolution and can not be made into a children's movie) and as I expected, I came out being Scotch-Irish (more Irish that Scotch - but not my choice in Whiskey eye-roll-emoji (not available on PF)). I created a family tree on one of the sites that shared information with NG and I am able to trace my US ancestry to the early 1800's on my Dad's side and back to 1675 (in Connecticut) on my Mothers Grandmothers side. Goes back 8 generations in the Continental US.
I had my siblings come out for a "bucket list" trip and presented my data. My eldest sister was really unhappy that there were no indigenous markers because my mother had speculated that on her grandmothers side there had been "interactions" with one tribe or another. I am about as Pasty White as you can get, mostly the England, Irish, Scotland area with a little spit of Scandinavian, Northern Europe and a little from the Ural mountains. I am 2.5% Neanderthal and 3% Devisovan. As an ex-Anthropologist I found this information quite satisfying - just to know.
Now my wife - Norway - that's all. We are going there on vacation this spring-summer. Going to the town/village where both sides of her family came from. Should be a interesting trip. Too bad NG killed the project, I trusted them way more than some fly by night/day "look we do science" organization. This graphic included was from 2010 or so, the project was killed last year so there were more people involved overall.

PS: it is frustrating that Pentax Forums does not allow for emojis other than the limited number available here. No eye roll, go figure.

Last edited by PDL; 04-03-2020 at 03:44 PM.
02-21-2020, 07:52 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
PS: it is frustrating that Pentax Forums does not allow for emojis other than the limited number available here. No eye roll, go figure
Wouldnt hurt to ask Adam if he can expand the emojis... its not generally a difficult thing to do on a forum.

AL

02-21-2020, 08:01 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
PS: it is frustrating that Pentax Forums does not allow for emojis other than the limited number available here. No eye roll, go figure.
There is an eye roll one, it just looks a bit goofy...

02-21-2020, 09:54 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Wouldnt hurt to ask Adam if he can expand the emojis... its not generally a difficult thing to do on a forum.

AL
The forum already allows you to have any emoji you want. squirrels squirrelfly baconheart
02-21-2020, 10:01 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I’ll leave this for background and perspective:
How Accurate Are Online DNA Tests? - Scientific American

There’s a caution toward the end: “But to say that you are 20 percent Irish, 4 percent Native American or 12 percent Scandinavian is fun, trivial and has very little scientific meaning.”
Interesting. Although, by my family tree going back some 13 generations, they seem to be remarkably close in their estimations of Dutch and Germanic ancestry.

02-21-2020, 10:15 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
No DNA tests for me...I don't particularly care for how that stuff is used by various companies and agencies after the fact.
In contrast with some other service providers, Ancestry has a pretty clear privacy policy. I copy part of it here:

"Ancestry does not share your individual Personal Information (including your Genetic Information) with third-parties except as described in this Privacy Statement or with your additional consent. We do not voluntarily share your information with law enforcement. Also, we will not share your Genetic Information with insurance companies, employers, or third-party marketers without your express consent."
02-21-2020, 10:35 PM   #24
Pentaxian

My wife and I have chosen not to check out our DNA through any of the various organizations that offer to analyze your DNA.

Instead, we checked out our background via Ancestry.ca. We prefer exploring through careful examination of documents, birth certificates, marriage / death records, church records and property documents, etc.

I like a paper trail...focusing on chains of document evidence, etc. Now this does take a fair amount of time and can lead up a lot of different trails. I enjoy this kind of detailed work and the academic pursuit aspect of this type of search... always have. I find it enjoyable, and having a degree in history, that doesn't surprise me.

In both our cases , we are pretty well of British ancestry and our ancestors appeared to either remain in the British Isles, or immigrated to either the USA or Canada. British, American and Canadian record keeping has been pretty good and by using these kind of records , we have found it has not been too difficult to trace ancestors.

We have been quite surprised and pleased with the wealth of information, germane to our individual family trees that we have been able to discover, concentrating on the aforementioned records we were able to access through the voluminous files/records of Ancestry.ca.

In my case , we have been able to trace ancestry back to the 13th century and as we continue through this process of exploration it looks likely that we will be able to go further back in time.

I'm not dismissing DNA consumer tests, I just prefer to follow the other road, delving through historical records to trace ancestry. It has been a fascinating journey to unravel one's own mystery....our greatest mystery...my wife's ancestry and my ancestry.
02-21-2020, 11:21 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sometimes, DNA testing can reveal more than you wish for: High rate of extrapair paternity in a human population demonstrates diversity in human reproductive strategies | Science Advances

The good news is that, contrary to some media shock reports, it doesn’t happen all that often.
02-22-2020, 01:28 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Without DNA testing I can recall ancestors of 6 different countries already, only very few generations back. I think I am as mixed up as it can get.
02-22-2020, 03:00 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
My wife and I have chosen not to check out our DNA through any of the various organizations that offer to analyze your DNA.

Instead, we checked out our background via Ancestry.ca. We prefer exploring through careful examination of documents, birth certificates, marriage / death records, church records and property documents, etc.

I like a paper trail...focusing on chains of document evidence, etc. Now this does take a fair amount of time and can lead up a lot of different trails. I enjoy this kind of detailed work and the academic pursuit aspect of this type of search... always have. I find it enjoyable, and having a degree in history, that doesn't surprise me.

In both our cases , we are pretty well of British ancestry and our ancestors appeared to either remain in the British Isles, or immigrated to either the USA or Canada. British, American and Canadian record keeping has been pretty good and by using these kind of records , we have found it has not been too difficult to trace ancestors.

We have been quite surprised and pleased with the wealth of information, germane to our individual family trees that we have been able to discover, concentrating on the aforementioned records we were able to access through the voluminous files/records of Ancestry.ca.

In my case , we have been able to trace ancestry back to the 13th century and as we continue through this process of exploration it looks likely that we will be able to go further back in time.

I'm not dismissing DNA consumer tests, I just prefer to follow the other road, delving through historical records to trace ancestry. It has been a fascinating journey to unravel one's own mystery....our greatest mystery...my wife's ancestry and my ancestry.
I've been doing our family tree for about 38 years now, first the old fashioned way, sitting in various archive buildings and poring over microfiche and old books, later, various online platforms including wikitree, myheritage, ancestry and the LDS platform. The DNA tests have shown no surprises in my linage as yet. On the Dutch side, I can trace back to the 1500's, but unfortunately, as the Allieds bombed the churches in Germany, many of the registers were lost so on the German side I only trace back to the 1700's. It's hoped we can find some links with the DNA which is proving impossible with records, as those records are irretrievably lost.
02-22-2020, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My parents were avid genealogists, and our family tree is extensively researched back to the time of Henry VIII. Both sides of the family are disappointingly purebred west-country UK (mainly Devon and Cornwall).
02-22-2020, 04:15 AM - 2 Likes   #29
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
purebred west-country UK (mainly Devon and Cornwall)
Then what are you doing with a glass of wine in your hand (I presume it's yours). I would expect nothing less than Cripple Cock Cider.
We must be true to our roots.
02-22-2020, 04:27 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Then what are you doing with a glass of wine in your hand (I presume it's yours). I would expect nothing less than Cripple Cock Cider.
Fifth generation Australian now, and in the Adelaide Hills we have both cider and wine