Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 516 Likes Search this Thread
11-11-2022, 11:28 AM - 1 Like   #556
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's a surprise:

World Series-winning general manager James Click will not return to the Houston Astros after he rejected the team's one-year contract offer.
Clicks' contract expired Oct. 31, just days before the Astros won the World Series in six games over the Philadelphia Phillies, though Click continued to run Houston's baseball operations department.
Conflict within the organization on baseball operations decision-making persisted throughout the Astros' championship run this season, sources told ESPN, and Click's reticence to accept owner Jim Crane's one-year contract offer was the talk of baseball's GM meetings in Las Vegas. - Jeff Passan

11-12-2022, 03:55 AM - 1 Like   #557
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Here's a surprise:

World Series-winning general manager James Click will not return to the Houston Astros after he rejected the team's one-year contract offer.
Clicks' contract expired Oct. 31, just days before the Astros won the World Series in six games over the Philadelphia Phillies, though Click continued to run Houston's baseball operations department.
Conflict within the organization on baseball operations decision-making persisted throughout the Astros' championship run this season, sources told ESPN, and Click's reticence to accept owner Jim Crane's one-year contract offer was the talk of baseball's GM meetings in Las Vegas. - Jeff Passan
I'm surprised they only offered him a one year contract. Obviously the team won the Series, but their payroll is significantly off the level of teams like the Dodgers and Yankees. I looked at it and the Dodgers and Mets had a payroll of 260 million, the Yankees were third at 250 million. The Astros were all the way down at 10th with 176 million.

It isn't enough simply to spend money on players, you need to spend it wisely and build a good farm system. These are the sorts of things that the general manager affects.
11-15-2022, 07:59 PM - 1 Like   #558
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Buck Showalter wins NL Manager of the Year, his 4th Manager of the Year win. 4 different teams, 4 different decades.
11-16-2022, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #559
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Buck Showalter wins NL Manager of the Year, his 4th Manager of the Year win. 4 different teams, 4 different decades.
one might think he knows how to manage a team

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think St. Louis is probably the best example of a team that combines wise free agency decisions with a good farm system. . . .
as a lifelong Cubs Fan, I will never cheer for the Cardinals

but as a baseball fan, I cannot deny their success

I note that most of the QOs were turned down and some FA have already found teams for next year

QuoteQuote:
Baseball’s hot stove is firing up. The first real flurry of free agent moves hit Tuesday as the deadline passed for players offered a qualifying offer to accept or decline those deals . . .

Los Angeles Angels sign starting pitcher Tyler Anderson to 3-year, $39 million deal . . .

San Francisco Giants re-sign outfielder Joc Pederson on 1-year, $19.65 million qualifying offer . . .

Texas Rangers re-sign starting pitcher Martin Perez on 1-year, $19.65 million qualifying offer. . .
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/analyzing-every-mlb-free-agent-signing-...ing%20offer%20

Rizzo turned down the QO but then decided to resign with the Yankees -

QuoteQuote:
Yankees’ Infield Is Complete, but Comes With Questions
By bringing back first baseman Anthony Rizzo, the Yankees have a solid player at each infield position. But they also passed on all of the top-tier free agents. . . . Rizzo’s deal, which is pending a physical, will pay him $32 million over two years and has an opt-out clause after the first season. . . .
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/16/sports/baseball/anthony-rizzo-yankees.html

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-16-2022 at 09:30 AM.
11-16-2022, 06:15 PM   #560
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Verlander wins his 3rd Cy Young, Sandy Alcantara wins his first.
11-17-2022, 04:00 AM - 2 Likes   #561
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Verlander wins his 3rd Cy Young, Sandy Alcantara wins his first.
Both unanimous choices.

Interesting that Sandy Alcantara was an innings eater this year. Very much an outlier. He threw for 228 innings and had 7 complete games. I think the thing about him is that he was more focused on getting batters to put the ball in play and so he could get to the eighth inning on 90 pitches, where a lot of other pitchers were hitting 80 pitches in the 6th inning.
11-17-2022, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #562
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unsurprisingly, Aaron Judge won AL MVP. with 28 first place votes and 2 second place. Shohei Ohtani came in second, with 2 first place votes and 28 second.

Paul Goldschmidt won the NL award, with 5 Mets receiving votes - Pete Alonso (8th), Francisco Lindor (9), Jeff McNeil (15), Edwin Diaz (18), Starling Marte (19).

Last edited by luftfluss; 11-17-2022 at 06:32 PM.
11-17-2022, 11:08 PM - 1 Like   #563
Pentaxian

I have been a Minnesota Twins fan since their very first home game in 1961 though I lived in Iowa at the time. My Uncle Jim took me to the game and he bought me a Twins ball cap. I have been a Twins fan ever since and I have spent many happy, and not so happy, days at Twins games over the years. I think it was the baseball cap that did it. I wish I still had that cap.

As I recall the Twins lost that game though I do not remember who they played or what the final score was.
11-18-2022, 03:36 AM   #564
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
I have been a Minnesota Twins fan since their very first home game in 1961 though I lived in Iowa at the time. My Uncle Jim took me to the game and he bought me a Twins ball cap. I have been a Twins fan ever since and I have spent many happy, and not so happy, days at Twins games over the years. I think it was the baseball cap that did it. I wish I still had that cap.

As I recall the Twins lost that game though I do not remember who they played or what the final score was.
Could it have been a loss to the Senators 5-3? 1961 Minnesota Twins Schedule | Baseball Almanac
11-18-2022, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #565
Pentaxian

Certainly could have been but I can't say for sure. It was a slightly delayed birthday gift (my 7th bday) so it was almost certainly in April though I know my Dad had bought the tickets before my birthday. Being young then (and a lot older now) I really don't remember all the details. I do remember it being very exciting and that feeling still occurs when I show up for any ball game
11-21-2022, 12:27 PM   #566
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hall of Fame possibilities:

QuoteQuote:
The National Baseball Hall of Fame revealed the 2023 Baseball Writers’ Association of America Hall of Fame ballot on Monday, with several notable names appearing for the first time, as well as returning candidates hoping to continue trending toward possible enshrinement in Cooperstown.

[ first time on ballot ] . . Carlos Beltrán, . . . Francisco Rodríguez and his 437 career saves. Other notable first-timers are Huston Street, Matt Cain, John Lackey, R.A. Dickey, Jered Weaver, Bronson Arroyo, Jacoby Ellsbury, Andre Ethier, Mike Napoli, Jhonny Peralta, J.J. Hardy and Jayson Werth. . . .

[ on previous ballots ] Scott Rolen (63.2 percent), Todd Helton (52 percent) and Billy Wagner (51 percent). Rolen is in his sixth year of eligibility (candidates are on the ballot for up to 10 years), while Helton is on his fifth and Wagner is on his eighth. . . .

Another notable candidate, in his second year of eligibility, is Alex Rodriguez,. . .

The only player on his 10th and final ballot this year is Jeff Kent, an All-Star second baseman and the 2000 National League MVP, who received 32.7 percent of the vote last year. All-Star outfielder and five-time Silver Slugger Award winner Gary Sheffield, who garnered 40.6 percent of the vote on the last ballot, is in his ninth year of eligibility.

The remaining returning candidates are Manny Ramirez (28.9 percent last year, seventh ballot in 2023), Omar Vizquel (23.9 percent, sixth ballot), Andy Pettitte (10.7 percent, fifth ballot), Jimmy Rollins (9.4 percent, second ballot), Bobby Abreu (8.6 percent, fourth ballot), Mark Buehrle (5.8 percent, third ballot) and Torii Hunter (5.3 percent, third ballot). . . .
2023 Hall of Fame ballot released
11-21-2022, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #567
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't remember my first professional baseball game,
but I'm sure it was the Mets at Shea Stadium.

I do remember my daughter's first game, also at Shea. She was about five.

I don't remember the particulars of the game but I do recall that a kitty cat
came by and spent the afternoon in the unoccupied seat next to my daughter.

And no, it wasn't a black cat.

Chris
11-28-2022, 03:23 PM   #568
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like the Astros are signing White Sox 1B Jose Abreu. That's a big bump in offensive production over Yuli Gurriel.
11-28-2022, 05:10 PM   #569
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't doubt that the hottest FA candidates will be snatched up before the winter meetings.
12-01-2022, 02:56 PM   #570
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RIP Gaylord Perry, the first pitcher to win the Cy Young Award in both leagues.