Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 516 Likes Search this Thread
03-07-2020, 11:46 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Play ball!

MLB spring training scheduled games begin today.
I'm listening to Mets vs. Nats on my AM radio right now!

Don't forget to tune in to your team and enjoy...

Chris

03-12-2020, 10:48 AM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
this is not unexpected but it is now reportedly been decided

QuoteQuote:
Thursday, March 12
MLB suspending operations

Major League Baseball is reportedly suspending all operations amid coronavirus concerns, joining the NBA and MLS in pausing their season.

@Ken_Rosenthal
Announcement expected shortly that MLB will be suspending operations. More details to come.

@JeffPassan
After a conference call among owners this afternoon, Major League Baseball is expected to suspend spring training. The league likely will delay the beginning of the regular season as well. At this point, it's a formality that ownership-level sources expect to happen.
Coronavirus and sports: Cancellations from COVID-19 - Chicago Tribune
03-12-2020, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
These are the Days for the Rays....
Had it not been for a bit of sign-stealing (trashcan-bangin') from the Astros in their series last year who knows? It's not always about which club spends the most. Go Rays!
The reason no one but Rays fans want them in the playoffs is because Tropicana field is a dump of Kingdome-esque proportions! And the Kingdome was pretty bad, even compared to the HHH Metrodome in Minnesota.

Last edited by SSGGeezer; 03-12-2020 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Fat fingers
03-12-2020, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
The reason no one but Rays fans want them in the playoffs is because Tropicana field is a dump of Kingdome-esque proportions! And the Kingdome was pretty bad, even compared to the HHH Metrodome in Minnesota.
Yup, it's a HORRID field, and St. Pete has done all it can to keep the Rays playing there despite it being one of the causes of low attendance. The Rays don't want to be there but for the immediate future have little option. Otherwise they are one of the best managed and most creative teams in all of baseball.

03-12-2020, 02:27 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm usually fairly noncommittal on ballparks, but while watching (and rooting for) the Rays in the playoffs a few years ago I thought man, the Trop is a dump.

Meanwhile, as a Mets fan I root for a team that has some really good players and a nice ballpark but the organization as a whole is a dump.

Last edited by luftfluss; 03-12-2020 at 07:02 PM. Reason: typo
03-12-2020, 04:27 PM   #21
PDL
Pentaxian

Well, the Mariners will not be in town for some time. The WA Governor has canceled sports gatherings until the end of April.

I need a basket of Nachos and a nice local Ale. Most things are closed down out here.
03-12-2020, 04:50 PM   #22
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Well, the Mariners will not be in town for some time. The WA Governor has canceled sports gatherings until the end of April.

I need a basket of Nachos and a nice local Ale. Most things are closed down out here.
currently we are planning to visit San Francisco in late July for three Giants vs. Cubs

"The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft agley "

- To a Mouse
BY ROBERT BURNS

" The Times They Are A-Changin’ "

WRITTEN BY: BOB DYLAN

hope for the best for all of us

03-13-2020, 02:57 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been a Cincinnati Reds fan since childhood. They won in 1990 and now 30 years later, they continue to have the same mediocre seasons. But I still love baseball. It just has a different pace and feel from the other sports.
03-13-2020, 03:06 AM   #24
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
30 years since the last World Series championship

the big Red machine with championships in 1990, 1976, 1975, 1940, 1919

don't complain to a Cub fan with championships in 2016, 1908, 1907
03-13-2020, 03:21 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
30 years since the last World Series championship

the big Red machine with championships in 1990, 1976, 1975, 1940, 1919

don't complain to a Cub fan with championships in 2016, 1908, 1907
That's fine. The Reds have had some good seasons, even since 1990. They just haven't caught lightning in a bottle and made it the World Series (much less won it).

(I used to listen to every game on the radio, AM 700 WLW out of Cincinnati, with Marty Brennaman and Joe Nuxhall calling the games. Incidentally, I think Joe Nuxhall is the trivia answer to the youngest pitcher ever to pitch in the major leagues when he came up during WW II).
03-13-2020, 11:20 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mets fans: We have the best pitcher, a great young slugger, and a bunch of good players... nothing can stop us this year!
Coronavirus: Hold my fear.
03-13-2020, 02:17 PM   #27
Pentaxian

I've seen a number of baseball games in my years, even played on a kid's team in my younger years. But the most entertaining baseball I've ever seen was played by a group that billed themselves as the California Cuties Comedy Softball Team.

It was a travelling four-man team and could they play. Their 'game' was along the lines of the Harlem Globetrotters.

Our kids were young in the mid '90's and in a park near the RV campground we were at...there was to be a game between the California Cuties and a local team, made up of the best players from three of the local amateur teams in the area, a small, rural city .

The local guys were very good and they played with a full team...the Cuties...always just four and from what I recall one pitcher, one catcher, one infield and one player out in the outfield.

For the first 15 minutes the locals were running up the score, giving it 110 % ! . The Cuties appeared to have met their match, but suddenly things changed and the Cuties surged ahead and started to steamroll the locals ! BTW, I'm trying to write it up like a sportswriter. Enough of that though...I just don't have the gift of sports gab !

It was a wonderful summer evening , no bugs, no wind...perfect weather. The California team were incredibly skilled...the California pitcher had an incredible repertoire of pitches...the opposition had difficulty connecting with any of them. The pitcher's curve ball was magnificent. The rest of the California team were equally amazing...nothing got by them in the field.

At bat, they could also hit anything...whether in the strike zone, ball zone...as long as the ball was within the range of their bats...they nailed it.

It was a very comedic , entertaining evening and if it was coming soon to a venue near me, I would make sure I attended.
03-13-2020, 02:33 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
sounds like the

King and his Court

http://www.kingandhiscourt.org/history.php
03-13-2020, 09:07 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Thx for posting. Yep, I would say the California Cuties were quite similar to the King and his Court.
03-14-2020, 07:00 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I feel for the Rays, a very good team that suffers not only from a poor stadium, but also from the fact that many Floridians are transplants who move to the area, but keep rooting for their hometown team.

I long for opening day now that it is postponed. If I can see my Red Sox when I am on vacation in June, I will be happy.

Otherwise I'll be at Camden Yards for away games. I won't even try to get to Nats Park this year, ticket prices will surely be prohibitive.

David Bentley Hart also wrote a great essay on baseball

This article also makes a case for the English origins of baseball.

Last edited by robgski; 03-14-2020 at 07:37 AM.