Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 516 Likes Search this Thread
05-22-2022, 12:12 PM   #271
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sunday afternoon is best spent watching a game online since I can't be at Fenway today.

EDIT: Especially watching Story hit another homer.

Last edited by robgski; 05-22-2022 at 12:17 PM.
05-23-2022, 03:59 AM   #272
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
" Schwisdom " remade Chicago Cubs history

Frank Schwindel and Patrick Wisdom went back to back HRs on both Sat and Sun

last done by members of the Cubs on Aug 23 and 24 1969 by Jim Hickman and Hall of Famer Ernie Banks

[ Wisdom hit a HR on Friday as well ]

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-23-2022 at 04:25 AM.
05-23-2022, 02:02 PM   #273
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
if you could

would you go to see your team play even if they are having a bad season?

why
05-23-2022, 04:19 PM   #274
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
if you could

why

One might argue that it is then that they need fan support most.

In the late 1970's and early 1980's I attended numerous NY Mets games at Shea Stadium.
Those years their teams were pretty awful, thanks mostly to stingy and vindictive ownership.

But that was a long time ago, in a less cynical world...

Chris

05-23-2022, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #275
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
if you could

why
Yes, at home or away.
Because it's my team, because going to see them play live is a rare opportunity in my case, and going to see a live game is always a better choice than sitting at home.
Because misery loves company.
Because every night is another chance to turn it all around.
05-23-2022, 05:32 PM - 2 Likes   #276
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
You never know for sure the outcome

Nor the plays you may witness

Not to mention the players on the other team you see
05-24-2022, 07:07 AM   #277
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
News from the " Northside "

QuoteQuote:
Cubs rookie Chris Morel, who debuted last week with a home run in his first big-league at-bat, pulled off a 118-year first for the Cubs Monday night as soon as he took the field against the Reds.

Morel, who singled and scored in the Cubs’ three-run seventh Monday night, started for the Cubs at shortstop in the opener of the four-game series — his fourth defensive position in five career big-league starts.

Morel also has started at third base, second base and centerfield.

Only one other player in modern franchise history (since 1901) has done that: Solly Hofman in 1904 (thanks to Cubs historian Ed Hartig for the research).

Hofman’s first four games as a Cub that year were starts at short, left, center and right.

"I can play everywhere," said Morel, who finished Monday's 7-4 victory at second base. "I just want to make sure I play good and play for my team. No matter what position I play, I need to play good.". . .

Patrick Wisdom, last year's slugging rookie surprise, hit a three-run home run in the fourth inning Monday, the fourth consecutive game in which he has homered.
Cubs' Christopher Morel's 118-year first for Cubs Monday vs. Reds | RSN

05-26-2022, 02:22 PM   #278
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very cool, but Brock Holt has played every position but catcher, I wish the Red Sox had not let him go.
06-03-2022, 12:03 PM   #279
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The burning dungheap of a franchise in Philadelphia just canned manager Joe Girardi.
06-07-2022, 06:28 AM - 2 Likes   #280
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mets 3B Eduardo Escobar hit for the cycle yesterday - a feat more rare than pitching a no-hitter - and not only that, he became just the 20th player in MLB history to hit for the cycle + 3 runs scored + 6 RBI. Joe DiMaggio did it twice!

Last edited by luftfluss; 06-08-2022 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Typo
06-15-2022, 03:25 AM - 2 Likes   #281
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Attending the Nats-Braves game this evening as part of a work-related event. It should be a good time, since I don't have a dog in the fight, I only hope there will be some good plays. I'm not sitting near the field, so I can take in all the action and though HR's, pitching duels and no-hitters are great for the record books, but I really like seeing a lot of action on the field.
06-15-2022, 07:10 AM - 1 Like   #282
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
we are attending 3 cubs v giants while in San Francisco at the end of July:

QuoteQuote:
Bags, Containers & Coolers
Backpacks (including clear backpacks) and hard sided coolers are NOT permitted, no matter the size. Other bags, including paper and plastic grocery bags, purses, fanny packs, lunch bags, briefcases, diaper bags, soft-sided coolers, and handbags are allowed into the ballpark as long as they do not exceed 16" x 16" x 8" in size. Oracle Park does not store bags.. . .

Cameras & Video Equipment
Cameras and video equipment are allowed in Oracle Park for MLB games. However, the equipment may not obstruct the view of others. Guests are not allowed to reproduce or re-broadcast any film or videotape of Giants games for commercial purposes without written permission from the San Francisco Giants and Major League Baseball. The Giants reserve the right to require patrons to put cameras or video equipment away.
Oracle Park Information Guide | San Francisco Giants
06-15-2022, 07:10 AM - 1 Like   #283
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Attending the Nats-Braves game this evening as part of a work-related event. It should be a good time, since I don't have a dog in the fight, I only hope there will be some good plays. I'm not sitting near the field, so I can take in all the action and though HR's, pitching duels and no-hitters are great for the record books, but I really like seeing a lot of action on the field.
have fun
06-17-2022, 05:04 AM - 2 Likes   #284
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Baseball was so much better when the pitcher was supposed to deliver a ball that the batter could hit. Watching pitchers mow down batters is pretty boring until the 8th inning or so. Especially in the modern game where pitchers hardly ever complete an entire game so the individual no hitter is becoming a thing of the past. I have heard the talking heads on sports radio talking about "team" no hitters where it may take three or four pitches to complete the game.

A local historical museum has a baseball league where they play using late middle 19th century rules. Dead ball, no gloves etc. The games are a lot of fun to watch.
06-17-2022, 05:30 AM   #285
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
seems to me that " most " fans prefer to watch offense to defense

whether we are talking about baseball, football or basketball

in baseball few fans at the game can really see pitch location with the naked eye and cannot appreciate a pitcher with pinpoint accuracy