Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2022, 09:12 AM   #361
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
RIP to the Bad Dude, former Mets catcher John Stearns, who passed away at age 71 from prostate cancer. Too young.

Stearns was probably the best position player on those dreadful mid-70's to early 80's Mets teams. Made the All-Star team 4 times, and could even steal bases.

Glad he was able to make it to the Mets Old Timers' Day last month.

Last edited by luftfluss; 09-16-2022 at 04:53 PM. Reason: typo
09-16-2022, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #362
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My mom was a desk clerk at the Travelers Hotel on 94th St. just up the hill
from La Guardia Airport. Many Mets players stayed there in the 1970's.

I met many of the players on those teams including John Stearns.
IIRC he was one of mom's favorites to talk to. RIP John Stearns.

Chris
09-16-2022, 07:48 PM   #363
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

# 698 for Pujols.

Juan Soto is hitting .202 with 7 RBI in 35 games since his trade to the Padres.
09-17-2022, 11:32 AM   #364
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
# 698 for Pujols.. . .
If he makes it, it will be a story for the ages

[ there will always be doubters however -

QuoteQuote:
On September 12, Max Kellerman, the famous ESPN TV show host, hinted that something else might be causing Pujols’ magical run on the show This Just In.

“I don’t know how he’s doing it,” Kellerman said. “Oh my God, the bat speed, everything, he’s killing the ball. Matter of fact, bartender, I’ll have whatever he’s having. I mean, this is unbelievable. He sure has turned back the clock. I just wonder if there was anything that could be pointed to. How does a player turn back the clock like this? I guess it’s willpower and practice. All these years between then and now, he hasn’t been practicing, apparently. . . .”
ESPN's Max Kellerman Roasted Over Pujols Cheating Accusations | St. Louis Metro News | St. Louis | St. Louis Riverfront Times ]

09-17-2022, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #365
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
, Max Kellerman
Those who can do, play. Those that can't do make snide innuendo from the sidelines.
09-17-2022, 07:26 PM   #366
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most of Pujols' at-bats have come against lefties, and since he's not in the field anymore there's less wear-and-tear on his body. Recipe for resurgence.

My gripe with him is that after signing that humongous contract with the Angels, he didn't do a good job keeping himself in shape. Especially for a guy with leg and foot injuries, keeping some of that weight off would have helped tremendously.
09-19-2022, 04:04 PM   #367
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Most of Pujols' at-bats have come against lefties, and since he's not in the field anymore there's less wear-and-tear on his body. Recipe for resurgence.

My gripe with him is that after signing that humongous contract with the Angels, he didn't do a good job keeping himself in shape. Especially for a guy with leg and foot injuries, keeping some of that weight off would have helped tremendously.
A number of guys come to mind who could hit like anybody's business but were unwilling to work out enough to stay Cecil Fielder and Kevin Mitchell come to mind.

Kevin Mitchell had a couple of years playing for the Reds. He sure could hit, but there was no DH in the NL at that point and he didn't take care of himself at all. Of course, he also showed up late to spring training one year in the 90s because he injured himself on a microwaved donut.

By most standards Pujols has kept himself in decent enough shape. You have to remember that he is 42 years old. Players who aren't using steroids tend to begin racking up the injuries in their late 40s. Ken Griffey Jr. had a pretty typical career for someone who wasn't using performance enhancers and really tailed off by the time he hit his mid 30s.

09-20-2022, 10:21 AM   #368
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
A number of guys come to mind who could hit like anybody's business but were unwilling to work out enough to stay Cecil Fielder and Kevin Mitchell come to mind.

Kevin Mitchell had a couple of years playing for the Reds. He sure could hit, but there was no DH in the NL at that point and he didn't take care of himself at all. Of course, he also showed up late to spring training one year in the 90s because he injured himself on a microwaved donut.

By most standards Pujols has kept himself in decent enough shape. You have to remember that he is 42 years old. Players who aren't using steroids tend to begin racking up the injuries in their late 40s. Ken Griffey Jr. had a pretty typical career for someone who wasn't using performance enhancers and really tailed off by the time he hit his mid 30s.
I agree that Pujols looks pretty good for a big 42 year old man. However, 6 years ago he was rather... portly:

He's dropped some weight recently, but we might be talking about his pursuit of 800 HR's if he had taken proper care of himself throughout his 30's. Not to mention his under-performance as an Angel.

An orthopedic surgeon once told be that for every pound of weight a person loses, they reduce pressure on their knees by 4-5 lbs.

BTW, I'm 6'1" and 192 lbs, and I should definitely drop 20.
09-20-2022, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #369
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree that Pujols looks pretty good for a big 42 year old man. However, 6 years ago he was rather... portly:

He's dropped some weight recently, but we might be talking about his pursuit of 800 HR's if he had taken proper care of himself throughout his 30's. Not to mention his under-performance as an Angel.

An orthopedic surgeon once told be that for every pound of weight a person loses, they reduce pressure on their knees by 4-5 lbs.

BTW, I'm 6'1" and 192 lbs, and I should definitely drop 20.
Maybe. I sort of feel like with him DH-ing, the stress on his knees is not that high. At the same time, I'm in my 40s and work out every day and still ache after playing a pick up softball game. As they say, Father Time is undefeated.

Lebron James spends over a million dollars a year to take care of his body -- works out, does cryotherapy, and sleeps in a hyperbaric chamber. He still was only able to play 56 games last year due to injuries. Of course, 37 is a lot older in basketball than baseball, but it all catches up with you.

Last edited by Rondec; 09-21-2022 at 02:39 AM.
09-20-2022, 08:27 PM - 1 Like   #370
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Judge hits #60, Yankees win on a walk-off salami by Stanton.

Also, it looks like Canada is lifting their Covid vax rules in time for postseason play in Toronto.
09-23-2022, 12:59 PM   #371
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
You have to be kidding me.

A game worn [ protective ] cup as a reward for the record breaking HR -

Yankee Offers Game-Worn Cup ? | Bleacher Report
09-23-2022, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #372
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You have to be kidding me.

A game worn [ protective ] cup as a reward for the record breaking HR -

Yankee Offers Game-Worn Cup ? | Bleacher Report
Definitely not my cup of tea...
09-23-2022, 08:02 PM - 3 Likes   #373
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Top of the third

Against the LA Dodgers

# 699 by Pujois

Top of the 4th

# 700 by Pujois

[ credit where credit is due ]

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-23-2022 at 08:40 PM.
09-24-2022, 03:00 AM   #374
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Top of the third

Against the LA Dodgers

# 699 by Pujois

Top of the 4th

# 700 by Pujois

[ credit where credit is due ]
It is amazing. 700 home runs is pretty rarefied air. Bonds (PED issues and all), Aaron, and Ruth were the only others to reach that club. He could probably play another season and he would pass Ruth for sure.
09-24-2022, 04:26 AM   #375
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
To reach 700 HRs, he needed 21 HRs this year

He hit 6 before the All Star Break and 15, so far, since then

Only player ever to hit # 699 & # 700 in the same game and he did it in back-to-back innings

only needs 15 more to surpass Babe Ruth

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-24-2022 at 04:37 AM.