Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 4278 Likes Search this Thread
05-17-2020, 02:19 AM   #3586
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Barbers will have plenty of bad haircuts to try to fix!

Chris

Walmart has been sold out of trimmers for a couple weeks.

05-17-2020, 02:44 AM - 1 Like   #3587
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote

Unless I see some pretty convincing evidence against long beards,i'm keeping it.
n95 masks not condidered there won't be.
Facial hair and N95 masks: What you need to know - ABC News
For now, shaving is recommended if you need to wear an N95 respirator and not a surgical mask.

Of course when we consider homemade masks are anywhere from 0-65% effective measuring how a beard interferes is a small concern.
05-17-2020, 02:48 AM   #3588
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Our lab has issued surgical masks so the beard stays for now; if we have to move to N95 respirators then I'll open the forbidden box of razors
05-17-2020, 04:12 AM - 1 Like   #3589
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Our lab has issued surgical masks so the beard stays for now
The lab I have been working in at has the same policy, but not for the reasons most think. Often a cap and mask are used to prevent stray hair,dead skin, saliva from falling into sample wells and contaminating things.

05-17-2020, 04:25 AM   #3590
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Now we all know why Adolph Hitler trimmed his mustache the way he did. So a gas mask would seal properly. During WWI a lot of soldiers had the same mustache.
05-17-2020, 04:38 AM   #3591
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
n95 masks not condidered there won't be.
Facial hair and N95 masks: What you need to know - ABC News
For now, shaving is recommended if you need to wear an N95 respirator and not a surgical mask.

Of course when we consider homemade masks are anywhere from 0-65% effective measuring how a beard interferes is a small concern.
yeah, the article is similar to my other research, I like how it calls a N 95 a " respirator " :

QuoteQuote:
Facial hair and N95 masks: What you need to know
N95 masks require shaving beards to ensure a good fit.
By Dr. Delaram J. Taghipour April 2, 2020, 9:33 AM

What is an N95 mask?
N-95 masks are typically worn by health care and construction workers. . . . N95 respirator are tight-fitting masks that filter out 95% of particles in the air and reduce exposure from small particle aerosols to large droplets. . . .

In order to wear an N95 respirator effectively, achieving an adequate seal is essential. . . .

"hair under the edge of the mask breaks the seal and makes it useless." . . .

The CDC suggested that loose-fitting surgical masks can be worn by everyday Americans if they feel sick themselves, or if they are caring for a family member or loved one who is sick. Surgical masks help prevent contamination when a person coughs or sneezes .

Unlike N95 respirators that require a close shave, surgical masks don’t. . . .

And having a beard or facial hair does not "trap" the virus closer to your face. Dr. Thomas explained that "the beard shares much of the same flora as facial skin. Therefore, most of the same precautions we take with our face to keep it clean and healthy should also apply to the beard.”

What does all of this mean? For now, shaving is recommended if you need to wear an N95 respirator and not a surgical mask.
consider the harsh facts: you put your neighbors at some risk any time you break " confinement " and leave your home

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-17-2020 at 04:45 AM.
05-17-2020, 04:56 AM - 1 Like   #3592
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Now we all know why Adolph Hitler trimmed his mustache the way he did. So a gas mask would seal properly.
We have gone off on a weird tangent here, but I have to ask: Then why did he maintain it ever since he left the trenches? I was under the impression he did it to make for a more interesting and unique appearance. I'd say his efforts were met with spectacular success for time immemorial sporting a toothbrush mustache is to be considered a definitive fashion faux pax.

05-17-2020, 05:04 AM   #3593
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

We have gone off on a weird tangent here, but I have to ask: Then why did he maintain it ever since he left the trenches? I was under the impression he did it to make for a more interesting and unique appearance. I'd say his efforts were met with spectacular success for time immemorial sporting a toothbrush mustache is to be considered a definitive fashion faux pax.
the style certainly did not start with him

QuoteQuote:
Toothbrush moustache
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

. . . its heyday of popularity was from about 1900 to 1945, after which it became associated with Adolf Hitler.

The toothbrush moustache is a moustache style that is shaved at the edges, leaving three to five centimeters of facial hair above the center of the lip. The sides of the moustache are vertical (or nearly vertical) rather than tapered, giving the moustache hairs the appearance of toothbrush bristles that are attached to the nose. It was made famous by such comedians as Charlie Chaplin and Oliver Hardy.The style first became popular in the United States in the late 19th century—from there it spread to Germany and elsewhere—reaching a height of popularity in the inter-war years, before becoming unfashionable after World War II due to its association with German Nazi leader Adolf Hitler. . . .
Toothbrush moustache - Wikipedia
05-17-2020, 05:15 AM - 1 Like   #3594
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We have gone off on a weird tangent here, but I have to ask: Then why did he maintain it ever since he left the trenches? I was under the impression he did it to make for a more interesting and unique appearance. For time immemorial sporting a toothbrush mustache is to be considered a supreme fashion faux pax.
It was a message to the people that he too was a soldier fighting for Germany. Hitler was probably the first media sensations. He had an acting coach and his speeches were scripted and rehearsed down to the timing, phrasing and movements he would make. Some years ago I read a book on Hitler's rise to power. It is scary how easy it is to get the sheeple to do what you want them too. That is why a full out democracy is such a dangerous thing. It leads to chaos and history has shown that the masses prefer tyranny to anarchy. Scare the people a bit and it them becomes easy to control then in the name of keeping them safe. A lot of this going on currently.

Hitler was helped in his rise to power by both the military and the heads of industry in Germany. He even had many wealthy Jewish supporters. They all made the mistake of thinking that they could control him once he got into a position of power. Another common mistake made throughout history.

Because Russia attacked Finland, it allied with Germany against a common foe. Hitler visited Mannerheim in Finland and they had a series of talks on a private railroad car. The Finns were audacious enough to actually bug the car. Those tapes are the only recording of Hitler using his normal voice. Quite a sharp contrast to the recordings of him on the rostrum.

Last edited by gaweidert; 05-19-2020 at 05:15 AM.
05-17-2020, 06:17 AM - 3 Likes   #3595
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
*ahem* my mustache covers my mouth, in a way I have a built in mask preventing particulates from entering or exiting my mouth. Unfortunately It makes eating and drinking somewhat undignified...

Unless I see some pretty convincing evidence against long beards,i'm keeping it.
I refuse to alter or remove my machismo.

When wearing the mask:

05-17-2020, 07:50 AM   #3596
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I refuse to alter or remove my machismo.
I tried plaiting my beard like that but I could never get it to look symmetrical.
05-17-2020, 08:00 AM - 3 Likes   #3597
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I tried plaiting my beard like that but I could never get it to look symmetrical.
Patience.

Lots of patience.

And cultivation of the crop. Daily nipping and trimming. Like bonsai.

I find that when it is braided I get more comments from men, and when it is loose I get more comments from women.

Lately, having to wear a mask all day at work, I leave it loose, as I use pomade to hold the braids, and don't want that to foul the mask. One of the women at work commented it looked like a billy goat's beard.

cheesy
05-17-2020, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #3598
Pentaxian

Has anyone else wondered why the headlines on hog farms is overwhelmingly, " forced to kill hogs"? That was the plan anyway. "Dispose of" seems what they realy mean. Do they mean the effort to kill them? Killing isn't part of the story. When I see this headline, i will not read the article but will search for a competitors article that doesn't focus on an irrelevant, emotional word. It has become harder to find an article on covid to read.
05-17-2020, 02:11 PM   #3599
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Has anyone else wondered why the headlines on hog farms is overwhelmingly, " forced to kill hogs"? That was the plan anyway. "Dispose of" seems what they realy mean. Do they mean the effort to kill them? Killing isn't part of the story. When I see this headline, i will not read the article but will search for a competitors article that doesn't focus on an irrelevant, emotional word. It has become harder to find an article on covid to read.
the plan of the farmer is to sell the animals to others who will do the dirty deed

what is happening is that the farmer is losing the investment in the livestock by not being able to sell the animal at the right time

if the animal gets too big, it has no market value

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-17-2020 at 02:38 PM.
05-17-2020, 03:55 PM - 2 Likes   #3600
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In happier news. Yellowstone Nation Park will partially open tomorrow at noon. There will be access to the park from the south and east exits and driving will be limited to the southern loop only. Info on the Yellowstone NP web site. Entrances into the park from Idaho and Montana are still closed. It would not surprise me if the first visitors see a lot more wildlife than normal as the park has been pretty much empty since March.
Closed Thread