Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2020, 03:51 PM - 3 Likes   #3856
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Great news,We will be over soon to take the Bledisloe back to its home!
You're dreaming!

06-02-2020, 03:54 PM   #3857
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In other news, Cape Town's oldest shop, Sturks, has had to shut due to Covid. They say they will re-open. They first opened their doors on the 1st of August 1793, so have been in business for 226 years.

Sturks Tobacco Shop shuts Greenmarket Square doors after 226 years
06-02-2020, 05:09 PM - 3 Likes   #3858
Veteran Member

Uh oh! Someone forgot his mask!

I have no clue why I have a hairdresser's training dummy in my shipping area, but there he is.
06-02-2020, 07:00 PM   #3859
Pentaxian

I work at a medium-sized manufacturing facility of a large company that mostly sells hardware. We never closed, though business in several of the company's segments collapsed almost completely in March. Most of the hourly workers were either laid off or had their hours cut in half. I'm still working full time, but for less pay, alternating each day between working from home and on-site. Customer service and other office workers have been working entirely from home for the past two months, but I can't do my job without being on-site at least some of the time. We're provided masks, along with cleaning supplies to sanitize our areas each day.

This morning (Tuesday) at work, management decided to announce, by the way, an employee who left sick on Friday was diagnosed with COVID-19 over the weekend. But not to worry, they sprayed disinfectant in most places Monday night.

I don't think they were planning on making the announcement at all until everyone started asking why the break rooms smelled so weird. They won't say who it was, and were reluctant to even admit which area he worked in (of course it was the most crowded area). No contact tracing, no extra distancing. Back to work, nothing to see here.

Among US states and territories, Arizona ranks almost dead last in testing done per capita. Deaths and confirmed cases continue to climb, but the state started re-opening anyway close to a month ago. Traffic on the roads is just about back to normal now. 433 people have died of the virus so far just in the county I live in.

But get back to work, nothing to see here.

06-02-2020, 08:56 PM   #3860
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
I work at a medium-sized manufacturing facility of a large company that mostly sells hardware. We never closed, though business in several of the company's segments collapsed almost completely in March. Most of the hourly workers were either laid off or had their hours cut in half. I'm still working full time, but for less pay, alternating each day between working from home and on-site. Customer service and other office workers have been working entirely from home for the past two months, but I can't do my job without being on-site at least some of the time. We're provided masks, along with cleaning supplies to sanitize our areas each day.

This morning (Tuesday) at work, management decided to announce, by the way, an employee who left sick on Friday was diagnosed with COVID-19 over the weekend. But not to worry, they sprayed disinfectant in most places Monday night.

I don't think they were planning on making the announcement at all until everyone started asking why the break rooms smelled so weird. They won't say who it was, and were reluctant to even admit which area he worked in (of course it was the most crowded area). No contact tracing, no extra distancing. Back to work, nothing to see here.

Among US states and territories, Arizona ranks almost dead last in testing done per capita. Deaths and confirmed cases continue to climb, but the state started re-opening anyway close to a month ago. Traffic on the roads is just about back to normal now. 433 people have died of the virus so far just in the county I live in.

My college student daughter works at a grocery store which had its first confirmed COVID-19 employee last week. They won't release the name. How is anyone to know whether they had contact in the break-room or elsewhere unless they release the name to co-workers. Same deal as yours - a ridiculous policy in a pandemic. We have to be smarter, or liability actions will follow against employers which are grossly negligent.
06-03-2020, 03:01 AM   #3861
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
My college student daughter works at a grocery store which had its first confirmed COVID-19 employee last week. They won't release the name. How is anyone to know whether they had contact in the break-room or elsewhere unless they release the name to co-workers. Same deal as yours - a ridiculous policy in a pandemic. We have to be smarter, or liability actions will follow against employers which are grossly negligent.
I have wondered about the whole "contact tracing" thing. I understand that health privacy is such that you get in trouble for releasing names of people diagnosed, but at the same time, those who had close contact with someone with COVID should be notified and get tested -- I think testing capability is at the place now where that should be possible. It feels as though the best way to get ahead of the virus would be to test individuals before they develop symptoms and unknowingly spread it.

Virginia is moving forward into Phase 2, which allows gyms to reopen at 30 percent capacity and restaurants and bars can have 50 percent capacity. Social gatherings can include 50 people but they all have to stand 6 feet apart. Northern Virginia and the Eastern Shore are excluded due to high levels of COVID activity still. I guess we'll see how things go. They are still having 700 new positives a day and 11 percent of tests are coming back positive.
06-03-2020, 03:44 AM   #3862
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All restrictions, other than international travel, should be gone from next week Wednesday by us. It will be good to be back to a near normal. Now we just have to hope that anyone not being quarantined upon entry into the country (such as airline pilots) don't bring the bug back into the country.

06-03-2020, 04:03 AM - 2 Likes   #3863
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Because of HIPPA laws they cannot release the names.
06-03-2020, 05:33 AM - 1 Like   #3864
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The HIPPA law issue does make contact tracing a challenge but it's worth noting that those potentially exposed to a COVID-positive person don't actually need to know the name of that person. The specifics of who they were exposed to don't matter only the binary fact that they were exposed to a COVID-positive environment.

Some of the proposed technological solutions rely on identifying people by encrypted/anonymized codes and using location-sensing technologies and/or proximity detection technologies to determine who was close to whom or who shared the same air space and surface-contact objects as whom. These can give everyone an exposure score without having to reveal names.
06-03-2020, 06:03 AM - 2 Likes   #3865
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Because of HIPPA laws they cannot release the names.
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
The HIPPA law issue does make contact tracing a challenge
It's HIPAA not HIPPA.
Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.
06-03-2020, 06:27 AM   #3866
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The HIPPA law issue does make contact tracing a challenge but it's worth noting that those potentially exposed to a COVID-positive person don't actually need to know the name of that person. The specifics of who they were exposed to don't matter only the binary fact that they were exposed to a COVID-positive environment.

Some of the proposed technological solutions rely on identifying people by encrypted/anonymized codes and using location-sensing technologies and/or proximity detection technologies to determine who was close to whom or who shared the same air space and surface-contact objects as whom. These can give everyone an exposure score without having to reveal names.

If HIPAA is truly a privacy protection law than non voluntary contact tracing is illegal in the USA. The ACLU has a lot of concerns with it. They can certainly drag it through the courts for a long time. Probably until the danger has passed. Here is a link to the ACLU concerns with the tactic.

ACLU Probes COVID-19 Location Tracking Efforts, Releases Principles | American Civil Liberties Union
06-03-2020, 10:19 AM   #3867
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote

That is quite a contrast to where I am. Restaurants are still not open for sit down meals, and when they are allowed to open, they will be at 50% or less capacity, masks are being encouraged in public when physical distancing is not allowed, and anyone who wants to be tested for covid-19 just needs to call 811 to arrange it. I help manage a construction supply center, we are still limiting customer numbers in the branch, and are still practicing physical distancing. We only take cash at one checkout desk, with that associate wearing gloves at all times and sanitizing them after each transaction.
Province wide, we have had 642 confirmed cases, 602 recoveries and 11 deaths. We have had only a handful of new cases over the past couple of weeks. We had a flare up in one of our remote northern communities, a community of people who are not especially well known for paying attention to good health habits had a member bring the disease in, and that accounted for something like 50 cases.
We are moving to the next stage of reopening next week, and that will be when restaurants will be allowed to have seated dining again, IIRC.
06-03-2020, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #3868
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My understanding is that HIPAA applies to medical providers. To my knowledge, It does not apply to grocery stores.
06-03-2020, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #3869
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Always enjoyed Gordon Kaye as Rene Artois, "The bravest man in all of France."
06-03-2020, 08:05 PM   #3870
Pentaxian

My understanding is that HIPAA applies to medical providers. To my knowledge, It does not apply to grocery stores.
I'll bet there are legions of lawyers out there who will disagree with that. (For the right price, of course.)
Closed Thread