Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2020, 11:12 AM   #376
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
does anyone know of any way that I can set the system to ignore the posts by a specific member

03-20-2020, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #377
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
does anyone know of any way that I can set the system to ignore the posts by a specific member
Yeah. In a thread click the user's name and then 'Ignore'. Or in your control panel, then 'Edit Ignored Users' and you can add by username there.

Personally, I've never felt that there was a good reason to do so.
03-20-2020, 11:19 AM   #378
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Yeah. In a thread click the user's name and then 'Ignore'. Or in your control panel, then 'Edit Ignored Users' and you can add by username there.

thanks

I'm considering it

but it is always best to take time before reacting
03-20-2020, 12:08 PM   #379
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Is morbid obesity considered an underlying health issue?Just asking.

03-20-2020, 12:13 PM   #380
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
If the obesity effects the immune system, then I would consider it an underlying health issue. But I'm just a random bloke on an internet forum.
03-20-2020, 12:20 PM   #381
Veteran Member

Well, back to the Mis-information out there... I just received this email.

QuoteQuote:
Serious excellent advice by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases: Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat are moist, never dry. Take a few sips of water every 15 minutes at least. Why? Even if the virus gets into your mouth, drinking water or other liquids will wash them down through your throat and into the stomach. Once there, your stomach acid will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water more regularly, the virus can enter your windpipe and into the lungs. That's very dangerous
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - CORONAVIRUS
1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold
2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose.
3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees. It hates the Sun.
4. If someone sneezes with it, it takes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne.
5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface - wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.
6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it.
7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.
8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.
9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice.
10. Can't emphasis enough - drink plenty of water!
THE SYMPTOMS 1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days
2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further.
3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing.
4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention.
This is the kind of non-sense thats part of the problem....There are so many things wrong in this email, things that are wrong and important things that are missing. ...if you get emails like this.. Just delete them. Please do not believe them.
al
03-20-2020, 12:24 PM   #382
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Mis-information
You can say that again. Where did that email come from, if I may ask?

03-20-2020, 12:24 PM - 5 Likes   #383
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Absolutely. The word morbid doesn't mean "you could stand to lose a few pounds". Obesity, particularly morbid obesity, stresses multiple systems and stress, both physiological, and psychological, have an adverse effect on the immune system.

Last edited by Parallax; 03-20-2020 at 12:29 PM.
03-20-2020, 12:24 PM   #384
Veteran Member

Just a thought: in the group of 50+, how many do have an underlying health issue?
If I look around (of course non representative data) I could easily guess 80%.
High blood pressure, diabetes, a minor form of cancer that can be treated, those and many more are really common, maybe even allergies? My questions are: Which medical conditions are considered in these statistics and how many of the normal population fall under this category?
03-20-2020, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #385
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote

thanks

I'm considering it

but it is always best to take time before reacting
The IGNORE function doesn't have to be permanent. A time-out from some personalities ( not just on the Pentax Forums ) can be restful.

EDIT - I currently have an empty IGNORE list, but I have " rested " a couple in the past.

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 03-20-2020 at 01:15 PM.
03-20-2020, 12:27 PM   #386
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
Just a thought: in the group of 50+, how many do have an underlying health issue?
If I look around (of course non representative data) I could easily guess 80%.
High blood pressure, diabetes, a minor form of cancer that can be treated, those and many more are really common, maybe even allergies? My questions are: Which medical conditions are considered in these statistics and how many of the normal population fall under this category?
perhaps you should add Obesity to your list of underlying health issues
03-20-2020, 12:28 PM   #387
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Well, back to the Mis-information out there... I just received this email.

This is the kind of non-sense thats part of the problem....There are so many things wrong in this email, things that are wrong and important things that are missing. ...if you get emails like this.. Just delete them. Please do not believe them.
al
Yeah, I got something with quite similar nonsense too. But at least staying hydrated is generally healthy.
03-20-2020, 12:30 PM - 3 Likes   #388
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
From the article: "No data on serious underlying health conditions were available."

---------- Post added 20th Mar 2020 at 11:54 AM ----------

But you didn't. I'm glad photoptimist did. Although it does bear mentioning that despite the increasing ease in deanonymization (aka, the increasing loss of personal and medical privacy), it was not meant to hide data in the face of an outbreak.
Thanks!

HIPAA was meant to protect individuals from discrimination and demonization and to give individuals the ability to control who knows what about their "private" business. As a side effect, it also ensures that people will be willing to seek medical testing and treatment for stigmatized illnesses thus actually helping protect the public.

But you are right about the trade-offs between privacy and public knowledge. It all depends on "our" choice of the trade-off between individual rights and the rights of "society."

If we (or the government) prizes "society" above individuals, then the authorities should publish the names and addresses of every COVID-19-positive person and also publish names and addresses of very person likely to have come in contact with a COVID-19-positive person (not hard to do given all the location data traces stored by cellular companies and smartphone apps companies) so that everyone can avoid both known and possible COVID-contaminated people. Anyone in these two groups would be quarantined. Note that China seems to have a variant of the smartphone trace-and-quarantine idea with a government app that assigns each person a red-yellow-green color linked to COVID status and exposure which determines what that individual can do ( In Coronavirus Fight, China Gives Citizens a Color Code, With Red Flags - The New York Times). It's Orwellian but probably better for society and the economy than a blanket lock-down.

If we (or the government) prizes individuals above society, then all information stays private and people should be at liberty to "peaceably assemble" (or party!). Deadly epidemics are the price of freedom!

No doubt we'll see different countries, states, and cities picking different points along this spectrum of strategies with different individual and societal trade-offs on the death<->survival, bankruptcy<->profit, and deprivation<->hedonism dimensions. We'll learn of the results of these natural experiments later.

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
And also, it should be noted that distortion of the data by the news media (or anyone else with a keyboard and an active connection) isn't helping.
Ironically, this may be one very good reason for maintaining HIPAA restrictions. Humans show a sad penchant for preferring their beliefs to any "facts." If the private data does not fit the listener's personal beliefs, they won't listen and there's little point in releasing the private data (and potential some direct or indirect harm).
03-20-2020, 12:32 PM   #389
Veteran Member

perhaps you should add Obesity to your list of underlying health issues
And a lot of other conditions. To understand the data the size of the group is very important. If it were 99% of the people having underlying health issues generally having 99% in those who died of SARS-Cov2 would mean there is no difference.
Of course this is a fictional and extreme example, but I think the example demonstrates why this number is important to put it into perspective.
03-20-2020, 12:35 PM - 3 Likes   #390
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Humans show a sad penchant for preferring their beliefs to any "facts".
Absolutely.
"Don't confuse me with facts, my mind's made up".

Everyone is guilty of that at times.
Closed Thread