Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 4278 Likes Search this Thread
03-22-2020, 12:51 AM - 2 Likes   #481
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
.......... Tough times ahead folks.
That's probably an understatement. Even though we may get the health impacts sorted out in 6 - 12 months, the economic impacts will last for years.

03-22-2020, 03:01 AM   #482
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I read an interesting article by a Aaron Ginn entitled Evidence over Hysteria in which he breaks down a lot of the data that we have so far on COVID 19. I didn't agree with his conclusions, but it is a good read if any of you are interested.

I do think there are indications that the virus isn't as contagious as people believe. The Diamond Princess situation, which is probably a worst case scenario (lots of people in tight quarters) still showed only 700 out of the 3200 on the ship getting the infection and all were tested for the virus. In addition, if this were truly flu like with regard to spread, even the draconian measures in China would not have been enough to shut it down. Also, it does seem that less virulent strains are the ones that are traveling around and that could be helpful.

I still think things are going to get bad. As I said before, maxing out the health care system isn't too hard to do -- it's currently there in Italy and New York City will be there soon if they aren't already. Mortality rates will climb once we run out of hospital beds and ventilators...
03-22-2020, 04:23 AM   #483
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
just found an interesting ad by a local business

it advocates the benefits of having and caring for plants in your home, starting a garden in your yard at this time of stress and then invites the community to
visit their green houses:

QuoteQuote:

Plants Help Keep You Healthy! Come out and walk through our huge Greenhouses

We are keeping our doors open! Our greenhouses is the healthiest place you can be
I think I will take them up on the invite, using " social distancing " of course

they are open 7 days a week

[ I have met the owners once or twice ]

perhaps a similar local business near you might be willing to do the same, it might be worth a phone call to ask

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-22-2020 at 04:43 AM.
03-22-2020, 05:01 AM   #484
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Going for the advanced options!

03-22-2020, 05:13 AM   #485
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

history can show us some things we can do in isolation

often improved by " modern devices "

consider trying to find an online chess club

or a local one where you might correspond with members using email

chess has been played, historically, by remote players

you really don't need a true chess board, just paper, a correct pattern and markers

lessons offered on line for free

here is just one option:

How to Play Chess | Rules + 7 Steps to Begin - Chess.com
03-22-2020, 06:13 AM   #486
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
history can show us some things we can do in isolation

often improved by " modern devices "

consider trying to find an online chess club

or a local one where you might correspond with members using email

chess has been played, historically, by remote players

you really don't need a true chess board, just paper, a correct pattern and markers

here is just one option:

I already ruined my ELO at lichens by playing chess not being concentrated the last two days.
03-22-2020, 06:16 AM - 1 Like   #487
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
SARS CoV-2 binds to the angiotensin converting enzyme-2 receptor.

People taking angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors and angiotensin-2 receptor antagonists (usually for hypertension, heart disease or renal protection in type II diabetes) are at vastly greater risk of severe disease from CoViD-19. These drugs are almost ubiquitous in older members of modern western societies.

It's a BIG problem.
I’ll defer to the experts in the field

HFSA/ACC/AHA Statement Addresses Concerns Re: Using RAAS Antagonists in COVID-19 - American College of Cardiology

---------- Post added 03-22-2020 at 09:20 AM ----------

just found an interesting ad by a local business

it advocates the benefits of having and caring for plants in your home, starting a garden in your yard at this time of stress and then invites the community to
visit their green houses:

I think I will take them up on the invite, using " social distancing " of course

they are open 7 days a week

[ I have met the owners once or twice ]

perhaps a similar local business near you might be willing to do the same, it might be worth a phone call to ask
Let’s see, walking through large areas of organic material, usually kept at high humidity levels, warm inside, ventilation equipment, what could go wrong.

03-22-2020, 06:39 AM   #488
Pentaxian

here is just one option:

I recently added a chess app. I use to play a bit but relearning.
Several games i have found the threatening knight i have to deal with was actually my own.🙁
03-22-2020, 06:50 AM - 10 Likes   #489
Pentaxian

I am not bored staying at home. I find all kinds of things to do

BTW: does anybody know why some bags of rice contain 5763 grains and others contain 5796 grains.... I am not finished counting the 3rd bag yet.... will let you know later.

Gary
03-22-2020, 07:04 AM   #490
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know. I decided to count semolina grains first. Let me know your results.
03-22-2020, 08:19 AM - 7 Likes   #491
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
This is a great example of the battle between plausible extrapolation and absence-of-evidence. It certainly seems plausible that people with more ACE-2 receptors (due to the drugs they take) might be more susceptible to severe COVID-19 infections (the virus parks on the cell surface on the ACE-2 receptor). On the other hand, if it only takes one car (i.e., virus) to park in the parking lot (i.e., the cell membrane) to infect the cell, does it really matter whether the parking lot has 100 slots or 200 slots? In chemistry terms: is the infection rate inside the body limited by concentration of ACE-2 or the concentration of the virus? Time will tell (assuming people collect the data or do the experiments needed to determine if these medications impact outcomes after factoring out the impacts of the underlying diseases that trigger use of these medications.)

Let’s see, walking through large areas of organic material, usually kept at high humidity levels, warm inside, ventilation equipment, what could go wrong.
Actually, a study of COVID-19 infection rates in different Chinese cities found a modest correlation toward lower rates of spread of the infection in areas of higher humidity and warmer temperatures. The theory is that infectious droplets fall faster if they don't dry out into light-weight sub-micron dry dust particles and that higher temperatures tend to accelerate the decay of the virus particles. It's also anecdotally consistent with higher rates of infection in Iran (colder & drier) than other Mid East countries, Northern (vs. Southern) Italy, and US ski towns.

That said, I would hope that the greenhouse would both strictly limit the number of people in each green house AND make people stay in their cars in the parking lot until they get a text message that it is their turn.

Last edited by photoptimist; 03-22-2020 at 10:02 AM. Reason: typo
03-22-2020, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #492
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
plausible extrapolation and absence-of-evidence.
THAT one I'll remember. I gave you a like for that because the system won't let me give you two.
03-22-2020, 08:23 AM   #493
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . Let’s see, walking through large areas of organic material, usually kept at high humidity levels, warm inside, ventilation equipment, what could go wrong.
Hmm

I take it that what you see as being the risks outweigh any benefits

That's certainly allowable

I respectfully disagree
03-22-2020, 08:54 AM - 2 Likes   #494
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by devouges Quote
I am not bored staying at home. I find all kinds of things to do

BTW: does anybody know why some bags of rice contain 5763 grains and others contain 5796 grains.... I am not finished counting the 3rd bag yet.... will let you know later.

Gary
They must be single use bags. My 1lb bags have 15655 grains.
03-22-2020, 09:20 AM   #495
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The experts in the field: "Could be, we don't know and we need to know fast"
Closed Thread