Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 4278 Likes Search this Thread
03-23-2020, 02:23 PM - 4 Likes   #556
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
spread the word to the other PF members in the UK
I'm not spreading anything Folks have to use their own common sense. I'd hope the majority of members here are able to do that...

03-23-2020, 02:36 PM   #557
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nocturnal Quote
Errrr no I was driving alone, if you drive yourself do you not look in the rear view mirror?

Don't use a phone while driving, don't own a smart phone regardless and yes they are idiots for not social distancing like me and most others who are making the effort to.

Wash your brain out.
Then you'll be simply delighted the UK is now in lockdown. The "idiots" who upset you so much going to work will have to work from home – how construction workers, tradesmen, etc are to do that I leave you to imagine: just pray your heating, domestic appliances or car don't break down, whether you're texting or not. This skilled worker is over and out, confined to barracks like the rest.
03-23-2020, 03:14 PM - 1 Like   #558
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Well, that's it. Due to the actions of a subset of my fellow countrymen - their selfishness and ignorance in choosing to ignore what have been, until now, official requests - we are now in enforced lockdown, with police given powers to arrest and penalise those who continue to ignore it (quote: "If you don't follow the rules, the police will have the power to enforce them")...
Similar situation by me. Frustrating for those of us who abide by the rules and experts' recommendations.
03-23-2020, 03:17 PM   #559
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Then you'll be simply delighted the UK is now in lockdown. The "idiots" who upset you so much going to work will have to work from home – how construction workers, tradesmen, etc are to do that I leave you to imagine: just pray your heating, domestic appliances or car don't break down, whether you're texting or not. This skilled worker is over and out, confined to barracks like the rest.
Aren't folks involved in certain industries exempt? Where I live - New Jersey, USA - HVAC, auto mechanics, etc are not grounded by the lockdown.

03-23-2020, 03:18 PM - 2 Likes   #560
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
I understand your sentiment here. I truly do, but I have never seen a one sided coin.
The other side of this particular coin is that your ability to earn is going to be impacted if your customers are dead. Significantly more so if you're dead.
03-23-2020, 03:20 PM - 4 Likes   #561
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A Mobius Coin ?
03-23-2020, 03:39 PM   #562
Pentaxian

Well, that's it. Due to the actions of a subset of my fellow countrymen - their selfishness and ignorance in choosing to ignore what have been, until now, official advice and requests - we are now in enforced lockdown, with police given powers to arrest and penalise those who continue to ignore it (quote: "If you don't follow the rules, the police will have the power to enforce them"). As of this evening, we're allowed to leave our homes for the following reasons only:
- Shopping for basic necessities, as infrequently as possible
- One form of exercise a day - for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household
- Any medical need, to provide care or to help a vulnerable person
- Travelling to and from work, but only where this is absolutely necessary and cannot be done from home
Additionally, all shops selling non-essential goods (clothing, electronics, etc.) must close, along with organisations that bring people into close proximity with one another - libraries, gyms, etc. Places of worship are barred from holding congregational events and meetings, weddings, baptisms, etc. (but will be allowed to hold funeral services). No gatherings of more than two people unless it's members of your own household. Parks will remain open for exercise, but gatherings will be dispersed by the authorities. Schools already closed except to children of key workers (those in the health and social care services, Police, Fire etc.).

The official message is: "Stay at home, protect our NHS (National Health Service), and save lives".

I'm truly disappointed, yet not entirely surprised, that we've come to a stage where common sense has to be forced upon us all, because a subset of our population - idiots and selfish dolts, frankly - can think only of themselves and not of others. Worse still, they're unable to distinguish when official advice is actually for their own good. They seem to know better, apparently. Bloody fools. Now we're all grounded, like so many errant and rebellious children, because of the actions of a few. Well done.

For my Mum, Dad and I, this makes little or no difference, practically speaking, since the restrictions are no more than we'd already elected to follow well before now. Even so, I'm annoyed... disgusted, actually. What a world we live in...

---

EDIT: As of today, over a 24 hour period, our number of confirmed cases has risen by 967 to 6,650, and the number of fatalities by 54 to 335 (including an 18 year old with underlying conditions)... on a land-mass 1/40th the size of the United States, with a population of more than 67 million... Anyone still not taking this seriously really ought to, starting right now.
I’m not sure I really understand your anger,Mike. You’re not being restricted from doing anything you shouldn’t have been doing anyway,the libraries and gyms were already closed,at least in this area and you shouldn’t have been leaving the house more than necessary.The only real people to suffer will be those who were not following the recommendations.

03-23-2020, 03:40 PM - 1 Like   #563
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
A Mobius Coin ?
Hmmm. I hadn't considered that.
03-23-2020, 03:50 PM - 5 Likes   #564
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
I’m not sure I really understand your anger,Mike. You’re not being restricted from doing anything you shouldn’t have been doing anyway,the libraries and gyms were already closed,at least in this area and you shouldn’t have been leaving the house more than necessary.The only real people to suffer will be those who were not following the recommendations.
I wonder if you read my post fully, Tim, or any of my previous posts on the subject (in this and other threads)? Or perhaps I expressed myself poorly. My parents and I have been in a self-imposed lockdown like this since well before it was even advised, let alone prescribed. It's no problem for us.

My anger isn't for how this affects me personally, or my family, nor the things it restricts. It's directed towards modern society and the sense of entitlement... those folks who have flouted official / expert advice, and have exercised little or no common sense, putting themselves and others - especially health service and key workers - at risk for the sake of their own convenience and/or enjoyment... resulting in our authorities having no choice but to treat us all like idiots who can't follow simple advice for our own, and the general, good.

I've no problem with the official lockdown at all. I welcome it, given that some folks seem unable to think for, rather than of, themselves.

Yours,

Angry of Durham

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-23-2020 at 04:01 PM.
03-23-2020, 03:54 PM   #565
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
A Mobius Coin ?
heard of a Mobius strip before

not a coin
03-23-2020, 03:56 PM - 2 Likes   #566
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
heard of a Mobius strip before

not a coin
Stamped out of the base of a Mobius bottle
03-23-2020, 03:59 PM   #567
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Stamped out of the base of a Mobius bottle
that's a new concept to me as well
03-23-2020, 04:00 PM - 2 Likes   #568
Pentaxian

Did you read my post fully, Tim, or any of my previous posts on the subject (in this and other threads)? My parents and I have been in this kind of lockdown since well before it was even advised. It's no problem for us.

My anger isn't for how this affects me personally, or my family, nor the things it restricts. It's directed towards modern society and the sense of entitlement... those folks who have flouted official / expert advice, and have exercised little or no common sense, putting themselves and others - especially health service and key workers - at risk for the sake of their own convenience and/or enjoyment... resulting in our authorities having no choice to treat us all like idiots who can't follow simple advice.

I've no problem with the official lockdown at all. I welcome it, given that some folks seem unable to think for, rather than of, themselves.

Yours,

Angry of Durham
If you’re just railing against the stupidity of mankind “Good Luck” with that,you’re just bashing your head against a very hard brick wall.

My sympathies are with you and your parents,yes I have read all the post and previous ones on the subject.Stay safe and keep your chin up.My parents are similarly in the very vulnerable category Mum’s on steroids and suffers from asthma Dad has Parkinson’s disease and whilst they only live six miles away I fear I’m not going to ever spend any quality time face to face with them again.So,yes,I fully get the seriousness of the situation.
03-23-2020, 04:05 PM - 1 Like   #569
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

If you’re just railing against the stupidity of mankind “Good Luck” with that,you’re just bashing your head against a very hard brick wall.
Yes, that's the long and short of it, Tim

My sympathies are with you and your parents,yes I have read all the post and previous ones on the subject.Stay safe and keep your chin up.My parents are similarly in the very vulnerable category Mum’s on steroids and suffers from asthma Dad has Parkinson’s disease and whilst they only live six miles away I fear I’m not going to ever spend any quality time face to face with them again.So,yes,I fully get the seriousness of the situation.
Thanks, mate. We're positive and up-beat, and dealing with this in a matter-of-fact way. Not all aspects are easy - especially the family and friends part. But, otherwise, we're fine

My very best to you and all your family, Tim. I sincerely hope you folks see this through unscathed. Stay positive...
03-23-2020, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #570
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The longer this goes on, the more I think I was right in my move to a sparsely populated area. The valley I live in has 1 person per 40 acres. A mandated lockdown would be tough to enforce here with one deputy sheriff for 240 square miles. It's unusual here to ever get within six feet of anyone except if we go into town. Guess we won't be doing that very often for a while.
Closed Thread