Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 4278 Likes Search this Thread
03-15-2020, 03:40 AM - 4 Likes   #46
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stockpiling is an irresponsible over-reaction. The young and quick score at the disadvantage of those who really need help.

Humanity needs to re-discover the quality which made us what we are. Community.

03-15-2020, 03:40 AM - 1 Like   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I've just seen video of lines at airports people stacked together like sardines in a can

follow link for article and photo

Europe travel ban 'enhanced screening' at U.S. airports bring delays, crowds - The Washington Post

what the ______________ is going on

" social distancing " indeed
Airports aren't designed to prevent the spread of any disease. Flying and social distance are opposites. If you screen people at all, you will have longer lines. The basic points are (a) don't fly if you don't have to (b) be pretty quick to get a Covid test done with symptoms and (c) aggressively self-quarantine for 14 days after flying.

But there is no doubt that spending time in close quarters like an airport, or cruise ship is not recommended right now (hence cruise ships on hiatus for at least the next month).
03-15-2020, 03:44 AM   #48
Veteran Member

All I know is that I am totally hopeless at not touching my face..... but I am getting real good at recognizing* that I just touched my face.

*I could remember to spell recognising with a z as this is mostly an american audience.... but whilst being mindful of this.... I think I scratched my nose. So.... no hope for me. (I am trying to remember how my mum stopped me touching my willy when I was three years old..... but that was so long ago...... honest).

Last edited by noelpolar; 03-15-2020 at 03:52 AM.
03-15-2020, 03:46 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Stockpiling is an irresponsible over-reaction.
Yeah, tell me that during hurricane preparation. ))) Stockpiling for disaster is not over reaction, it's common sense.

03-15-2020, 03:48 AM   #50
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Airports aren't designed to prevent the spread of any disease. Flying and social distance are opposites. If you screen people at all, you will have longer lines. The basic points are (a) don't fly if you don't have to (b) be pretty quick to get a Covid test done with symptoms and (c) aggressively self-quarantine for 14 days after flying.

But there is no doubt that spending time in close quarters like an airport, or cruise ship is not recommended right now (hence cruise ships on hiatus for at least the next month).
I gave my secretary a sign that I created to show me when appropriate

it said:

" Your lack of planning should not create an emergency for me "

to remind me that I had to plan to give material to her in time for her to complete her tasks

not at the last second

the lack of proper planning could cause problems

the lack of proper planning in a medical situation can cause severe problems

that is what I am talking about

yes transportation centers and methods will cause " choke points " and delays

but our world demand them and proper planning can help.

how else is one who has great distances to travel such as from Europe to the US to travel except by air plane ?
03-15-2020, 03:50 AM - 1 Like   #51
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
All I know is that I am totally hopeless at not touching my face..... but I am getting real good at recognising that I just touched my face..
As long as you wash your hands before and after, it's all good.
03-15-2020, 03:51 AM   #52
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Yeah, tell me that during hurricane preparation. ))) Stockpiling for disaster is not over reaction, it's common sense.
food and water is essential

toilet paper is not

it is a convenience

other options are available

03-15-2020, 03:51 AM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
All I know is that I am totally hopeless at not touching my face..... but I am getting real good at recognizing* that I just touched my face.

*I could remember to spell recognising with a z as this is mostly an american audience.... but whilst being mindful of this.... I think I scratched my nose. So.... no hope for me.
Just watch the movie Contagion on loop for about twenty-four hours and you'll freak out each time you do it...

(I can't feel my face most days)...
03-15-2020, 03:57 AM - 1 Like   #54
Veteran Member

As long as you wash your hands before and after, it's all good.
I was only talking to Anna today about the hand sanitiser in the car. The one we use after handling the outside and inside door handle, grasping the steering wheel as you climb in..... she rolled her eyes.

Anyway, one good lick from the dog probally resets everything.
03-15-2020, 04:01 AM - 3 Likes   #55
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
If your family safety comes first, then you stock all supplies for the month to avoid those grocery trips completely. Wearing the mask, cleaning your hands, but bringing yourself in with unpacked groceries into the house does not protect you completely from the virus. Staying away from the people- does.
There's no "if" about it, Lana - my family's safety absolutely comes first.

I have that month's supply of groceries - everything I think we might need, worked out on a spreadsheet based on daily meal and snack requirements, sanitary and household products (knowing how much we typically get through, plus a little more for good measure), medicines (OTC pain-killers / fever regulators, electrolyte drink tablets, antiseptic cream, band-aids etc.), pet food and the like. This pandemic is going to last a lot longer than a month. The only way for me to completely avoid shopping trips would be to buy way more groceries than the three of us could possibly need for the next six months or more, and whilst my family is my priority, that would - IMHO - be inconsiderate to the wider community who also need supplies.

As for bringing unpacked groceries into the house, I don't have a lot of alternatives. I have some stored in the garage, the rest in a couple of deep kitchen cupboards. We washed our hands thoroughly after unpacking, and that's the best we can do. We could use a delivery service going forward (and have the groceries left outside our door), but the items coming into our home would still have been handled by many people in the supply chain - including staff at the grocery stores I'd otherwise have to visit.

Short of living in a hermetically-sealed bubble for months, nothing is going to protect us completely. We're taking what we feel are reasonable, practical measures to reduce the chances of infection and have supplies to see us through blips in availability. Others will have their own opinions as to what "reasonable, practical measures" constitutes, and they're at liberty to act accordingly - but I truly hope some sense of community is maintained (indeed, restored) in the coming weeks and months. Family first, certainly - but we don't have to get all Mad Max over it (at least, that's my personal view)...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-15-2020 at 04:09 AM.
03-15-2020, 04:01 AM - 2 Likes   #56
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

The US population is about 65 times larger than ours, yet fewer people have been tested there than here (as of yesterday, at least). Twice as many have been confirmed infected, yet 25 times as many have died from the virus. I think those numbers indicate a sizeable number of undiscovered infections in the US.
03-15-2020, 04:03 AM - 5 Likes   #57
Closed Account

Humanity needs to re-discover the quality which made us what we are. Community.
^^^This ^^^
I cannot believe what I am seeing in Australia at the moment. It was only a few short weeks ago here that the whole country pulled together for those affected badly by the bush fires, then subsequent flooding in some areas. Now we are seeing fist fights in supermarket isles over toilet paper. The disadvantaged in ALL countries live week to week and don't have the luxury of spare cash to stockpile necessities. Hoarding hurts those least able to look after themselves.
03-15-2020, 04:04 AM   #58
Veteran Member

On a more serious note (for me)... we can't talk my wifes 85yo mother and her boyfriend (85yo... bit of cancer.... was in hospital with pneumonia last year) from flying later this week to Sydney then to Coffs Harbour for two weeks to play golf. Maybe I'm a bit to conservative on such matters.
03-15-2020, 04:15 AM - 1 Like   #59
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
As for bringing unpacked groceries into the house, I don't have a lot of alternatives. I have some stored in the garage, the rest in a couple of deep kitchen cupboards. Washing our hands after unpacking them is the best we can do. We could use a delivery service going forward, but the items coming into our home would still have been handled by many people in the supply chain - including staff at the grocery stores I'd otherwise have to visit.
The simplest and most effective protection is frequent handwashing. Wash your hands before and after. Before and after rinsing unpacked groceries. Before and after unpacking packed groceries. Before and after washing your hands. Ok, that might be overdoing it

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Short of living in a hermetically-sealed bubble for months, nothing is going to protect us completely. We're taking what we feel are reasonable, practical measures to reduce the chances of infection. Others will have their own opinions as to what that should constitute, but I do hope some sense of community is maintained in the coming weeks and months. Family first, certainly - but we don't have to get all Mad Max over it (at least, that's my personal view)...
Yep, this. The whole point is to slow down the infection rate sufficiently not to overwhelm the health care system. There are only so many medical ventilators available, and they are needed by people with other conditions already. If too many get sick at the same time, well, not all can get the help they need.

Quite simple, really.
03-15-2020, 04:23 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
Growing up White, male, educated, in good shape, heterosexual . . . I missed out on being part of any category that attracted prejudice. Now that I'm 73yo, I am experiencing it for the first time, and that was even before the "okay Boomer" reverse-adultism tag that’s encouraging prejudice.
As far as prejudice goes (western world)...... years from now when we are down to the last few on the list, it would not surprise me if ageism was one of the few on that list. I was only pondering today how Australia would be responding now if it was the young mostly impacted by this virus.

---------- Post added 15-03-20 at 09:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Yep, this. The whole point is to slow down the infection rate sufficiently not to overwhelm the health care system. There are only so many medical ventilators available, and they are needed by people with other conditions already. If too many get sick at the same time, well, not all can get the help they need.

Quite simple, really.
Yep.... not difficult modeling to understand. From some modelling I've seen over 50% less lives would be lost if transmision within a community is slowed.... I'm expecting Australia needs another week or so before significant measures are taken.

Last edited by noelpolar; 03-15-2020 at 04:54 AM.
Closed Thread