Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2020, 03:30 PM   #811
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
My stepson shared this with his mother on Faceplant. I did some digging, to find a version I could share here sans Faceplant. Turns out the video of the baby is from another one where his grandpa is off camera, growling, and the toddler acting scared and running away.

The first video is the Faceplant version, more or less. Same two videos patched together, but this version has a longer lead in of the woman sneezing.

And the original video of the kid running away.

03-26-2020, 03:34 PM - 2 Likes   #812
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Anybody who gives any credence to anything posted on Facebook, Twitter, et al, has a very loose association with reality.
03-26-2020, 03:46 PM   #813
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
As long as healthcare resources per capita are similar, the size of the country is irrelevant. I agree that most people in the US (and most of the commonly called "West", to a lesser degree) would riot at the thought of the big bad government asking them - or Heavens forbid telling them - to install a tracking app, and that's the crux of the issue I think.

My comments on whether the governments of certain countries have risen up to the challenge I will keep to myself .
The size of the country is relevant.

The Continental US is approximately 3.8 million square miles.
Singapore is 277 square miles - about 4x of Washington DC. The county I grew up in is 4,273 square miles.
South Korea is 38,502 - the size of Tennessee.

Trying to get enough people tested and using social tracking to find out where they have been, is a bigger deal than people are surmising.

People tested:
Singapore: 140,000 - March 5th
South Korea: 268,000 - March 15th
United States: 1,895 - March 7th

Pitiful.
03-26-2020, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #814
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Anybody who gives any credence to anything posted on Facebook, Twitter, et al, has a very loose association with reality.
I've resolutely avoided joining any social media platforms... Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, WhatsApp, etc. I realise there's some valuable and responsible use of them, but all I see everywhere is narcissism and virtue-signalling.

Case in point...

Here in the UK, a social media plan was hatched - and went viral - a couple of days ago for folks to stand outside their homes tonight at 8pm and clap their hands, applauding the NHS (our National Health Service) and - primarily - its staff for the great work they're doing in this crisis. Now, for the record, I am humbled and grateful beyond belief for their service... not just in this situation, but every day of every year that I've lived. But a couple of things bug me about this social media driven activity. Firstly, most of the front-line NHS staff will either be at work, dealing with all manner of trials and tribulations, or they'll be enjoying a tiny amount of free time indoors with their families, or catching a few hours' much-needed sleep before the onslaught begins again tomorrow. The way I see it, the only folks who'll hear the clapping are people that are outside clapping. Then, after that, there'll be all sorts of social media posts and selfies from folks who took part, were "there", were part of the event, etc. This is a social media event for social media users. It's narcissistic virtue-signalling, and has more to do with that than anything to help the wonderful staff in our NHS. It's the same with today's "candle-lit vigils" whenever a dreadful event happens... People flock from all around to be part of them, then post photos and dreadfully trite, pseudo-insightful messages on social media. I can't abide it, I really can't...

If any of our members are from the NHS, or indeed any other public sector service in the UK or any other country, that's under pressure from this current crisis, I offer a huge and entirely non-virtue-signalling, non-narcissistic, THANK YOU!

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-26-2020 at 04:12 PM.
03-26-2020, 03:59 PM   #815
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote

Singapore is 277 square miles - about 4x of Washington DC. The county I grew up in is 4,273 square miles.

Trying to get enough people tested and using social tracking to find out where they have been, is a bigger deal than people are surmising.

People tested:

Pitiful.
for comparison
US vs [ drop down box ]

US vs. South Korea
QuoteQuote:
United States is about 99 times bigger than South Korea.
South Korea is approximately 99,720 sq km, while United States is approximately 9,833,517 sq km. Meanwhile, the population of South Korea is ~51.2 million people (275.4 million more people live in United States). We have positioned the outline of South Korea near your home location of Topeka, KS, United States.
Size of United States compared to South Korea
03-26-2020, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #816
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

FACT CHECK: Despite Trump's Claim, U.S. Isn't Matching South Korea On Testing : Coronavirus Live Updates : NPR
03-26-2020, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #817
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks to our swift, decisive response, no doubt.
I think this is one of the once you know you have it, it's too late things.

This one is on a planetary scale.

Everyone's response was too slow.

03-26-2020, 04:12 PM   #818
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
U.S. deaths from coronavirus top 1,000, amid incomplete reporting from authorities and anguish from those left behind

March 26, 2020 at 11:57 a.m. CDT

. . . As the highly contagious virus has created clusters of illness, from Seattle to New York City, death has followed in turn. On Wednesday night, the country’s largest city reported 88 new deaths from covid-19. As of Thursday afternoon, Americans had died in 42 states and territories and the District, with punishing increases in Louisiana and Michigan. Experts fear the worst is still to come, pointing to a rapid acceleration of cases in communities across the country.

The Washington Post is tracking every known U.S. death, analyzing data from health agencies and gathering details from family and friends of the victims. In the first 1,000 fatalities, some patterns have begun to emerge in the outbreak’s epidemiology and its painful human impact. About 65 percent of the dead whose ages are known were older than 70 and nearly 40 percent were over 80, demonstrating that risk rises along with age. About 5 percent whose ages are known were in their 40s or younger, but many more in that age group have been sick enough to be hospitalized. Of those victims whose gender is known, nearly 60 percent were men.

What remains murky is exactly who is dying in America during the pandemic, even as scientists and public health experts race to uncover information that can help save lives.

Overwhelmed state and local authorities have been issuing widely varying reports on those who died, citing medical privacy laws to shield even basic details about age, gender and underlying conditions, the three signal categories that epidemiologists say are key indicators of risk. . . .
U.S. deaths from coronavirus top 1,000, amid incomplete reporting from authorities and anguish from those left behind - The Washington Post
03-26-2020, 04:15 PM - 3 Likes   #819
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Well, now... I just read the following news headline:
"Don't let coronavirus drive you to drink: World Health Organization warns alcohol is an 'unhelpful coping strategy' to combat stress during lockdown

WHO experts have warned people against drinking during the lockdown
Say it is natural to feel scared and lonely but that drinking alcohol is ill advised
Warn that relying on alcohol is 'an unhelpful coping strategy' to cope with stress"
Thankfully, the coronavirus isn't driving me to drink; I simply enjoy a glass or two of wine. Second, it's not a coping strategy - it's just that I enjoy a glass or two of wine. I consider myself fortunate that I'm neither scared nor lonely... but I do enjoy a glass or two of wine. Lastly, I don't feel stressed, and so don't feel the need to look for ways of coping with that. But, I do enjoy a glass or two of wine on an evening.

Seems this headline has nothing to do with me after all...
I will endeavor to continue my present drinking habit without change. Unless the stores close.

---------- Post added Mar 26th, 2020 at 05:15 PM ----------

I'll drink to that!
As will I.

---------- Post added Mar 26th, 2020 at 05:17 PM ----------

I see what you did there.
03-26-2020, 04:31 PM - 2 Likes   #820
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I will endeavor to continue my present drinking habit without change. Unless the stores close.
I'll drink to that, too!!!!!
03-26-2020, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #821
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote

People tested:

Pitiful.
Ok, then if you are saying that a 5 million person metro area is capable of testing 140,000 by March 5th (Singapore), then why couldn't all of the 5 million person metro areas in the US have tested 140,000 by March 5th? That would cover NYC, LA, Chicago, Dallas-Ft Worth, Houston, Washington DC, Miami, Philadelphia, and Atlanta.

Sure, the US is big, but air freight can get anything anywhere overnight and LA to NYC via truck can be done in under 48 hours. The US is big, but not that big when it comes to modern logistics and most of the population is concentrated in the cities. Country size was relevant when all we had was horse draw wagons but these days anything can be delivered anywhere in under two days if it's important. (As of March 19th, Russia beat the US in testing and Russia is 70% larger that the US and has 1/5th the GDP per capita of the US.)
03-26-2020, 04:38 PM   #822
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
. . . Sure, the US is big, but air freight can get anything anywhere overnight and LA to NYC via truck can be done in under 48 hours. . . .
41 hours (2,795.6 mi) via I-80 E

LA to NYC by truck how long - Google Search

assuming no limitations on the hours a commercial trucker can drive per day
03-26-2020, 04:56 PM - 1 Like   #823
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
The guy probably smoked, drank and chased women all his days too.
nah.... probally just drank guinness.
03-26-2020, 05:03 PM   #824
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
41 hours (2,795.6 mi) via I-80 E

LA to NYC by truck how long - Google Search

assuming no limitations on the hours a commercial trucker can drive per day
You can always do like in ye olden ages and have rest stops. Only instead of changing to a fresh horse you change to a fresh drive. The times, they are a-changin'...
03-26-2020, 05:06 PM   #825
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
As long as healthcare resources per capita are similar, the size of the country is irrelevant. I agree that most people in the US (and most of the commonly called "West", to a lesser degree) would riot at the thought of the big bad government asking them - or Heavens forbid telling them - to install a tracking app, and that's the crux of the issue I think.
The amusing thing is that 80% of the US population (those with smart phones) have already voluntarily installed at least one tracking app and probably many of them. Apple, Google, Facebook, Map apps, Weather apps, Yelp, Uber, Lyft, etc. all track locations.

And even the dumb-phone users can be tracked at a lower resolution using cell-tower data that is collected (and sold to the highest bidders) by AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, etc. etc.

In a capitalist country like the US, consumers' data is a monetized product. Of course, people are free not to be tracked by turning off their phones or not carrying them, but few do. And with 80% of the population already being tracked, then 80% of those exposed to each COVID-positive person can be found and the rate of spread can go from 2 or 3 new cases per infected person (exponential explosion) to 0.4 to 0.6 new cases per infected person (disease extinction).

A special government app might make administration easier and let workplaces easily ensure that only COVID-negative are allowed to come to work*, but no special app is really required to trace how people are moving. Note: I'd bet some clever start-up is already looking at this space and that productivity and liability-conscious employers would love to add COVID-status tracking to the apps their employees are using.

P.S. At least one firm has already collected data on who is social distancing and who is not. See Map shows America's social distancing behavior state by state | Fox News .
Closed Thread