Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2020, 07:01 AM - 4 Likes   #856
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Is that autofocus or manual focus, and if the latter, do you use live view, a split screen or the focus confirmation indicator?
LOL!

All I'll say is that some countries need a lot of focus adjustment!

03-27-2020, 07:53 AM   #857
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Has anyone been paying attention to the camera work on tv talk shows? Just watched something besides the news that is current. The white balance, lighting, framing, and make up is not up to par. The audio is much better.

The interesting thing for me as a photographer is that I love the "honesty" of it. It is making me look at the question How much is too much? With a new set of eyes. I am comparing photos to food. Why do people gravitate to overprocessed food with the nutrients gone? Henri C Bresson is like a nice fresh salad and todays stuff is chicken nuggets and doritos.
03-27-2020, 08:02 AM   #858
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Has anyone been paying attention to the camera work on tv talk shows? Just watched something besides the news that is current. The white balance, lighting, framing, and make up is not up to par. The audio is much better.

The interesting thing for me as a photographer is that I love the "honesty" of it. It is making me look at the question How much is too much? With a new set of eyes. I am comparing photos to food. Why do people gravitate to overprocessed food with the nutrients gone? Henri C Bresson is like a nice fresh salad and todays stuff is chicken nuggets and doritos.
Some of our TV presenters are doing their own make-up, whilst others are doing their spots from home over the internet. Studio crews have been cut to minimum.

Some of our daytime TV shows aren't broadcasting live now, and have resorted to re-runs of earlier episodes...
03-27-2020, 08:49 AM - 4 Likes   #859
Pentaxian

Is that autofocus or manual focus, and if the latter, do you use live view, a split screen or the focus confirmation indicator?
It is the brandnew brainwave focus. Actually split screens are making things worse. The only look through the extreme left and right and so produce populistic results.
Focus confirmation is provided by a direct uplink to the Johns Hopkins sensor. The latter doesnt focus to well in low brainlight though.
It can easily be mistaken when confronted by weird hairdo or unnatural skintones.
The smoke produced by burning tropical forests can also give wrong results.
Zypically you get a backfocus around 4-6 weeks.

03-27-2020, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #860
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
I am a big fan of "focus, focus, focus" in hard times.

In Germany to me this means:

1) Ramp up testing (reliable versions) big time. We currently test just a meagre 500,000 per week. That means 3 years to test the population once.
2) Produce/buy personal protective equipment for the guys in the trenches
3) Produce/buy ventilators

Yes, money also needs to flow, but priority 1 must be direct support for the above health topics.

In Italy you can see what overwhelming the capacities of the health care system means for the fatality rate: > 10% and there are credible reports that even lots of deaths are incorrectly not included in the statistics.
The money thing is amusing. No one, or very few, uses money any more. You go to work, and a couple of times per month, the number that represents money attached to the number that your bank used to identify how much of the first number you have increased.
You buy something, and your number goes down while the seller's number goes up.
It's an incredibly contrived system that has nothing to do with money.
03-27-2020, 09:58 AM   #861
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The money thing is amusing. No one, or very few, uses money any more. You go to work, and a couple of times per month, the number that represents money attached to the number that your bank used to identify how much of the first number you have increased.
You buy something, and your number goes down while the seller's number goes up.
It's an incredibly contrived system that has nothing to do with money.
The more you think about money, the worse it gets.

The two large US lottery systems are going to cut back the jackpot increase increment. Less tickets are being sold.
03-27-2020, 12:15 PM - 2 Likes   #862
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
I am a big fan of "focus, focus, focus" in hard times.

In Germany to me this means:

1) Ramp up testing (reliable versions) big time. We currently test just a meagre 500,000 per week. That means 3 years to test the population once.
2) Produce/buy personal protective equipment for the guys in the trenches
3) Produce/buy ventilators

Yes, money also needs to flow, but priority 1 must be direct support for the above health topics.

In Italy you can see what overwhelming the capacities of the health care system means for the fatality rate: > 10% and there are credible reports that even lots of deaths are incorrectly not included in the statistics.
A corona quick-testing machine was developed by Bosch in Germany in just 6 weeks, available in April. Test result in 2.5 hours. I find this impressive in the same way as the Chinese built an entire hospital in 10 days.

Von Bosch: Superschneller Corona-Test - Auto - nordbayern.de
03-27-2020, 12:16 PM   #863
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

latest from the State of Kansas

any one else aware of investigations into illegal price gouging ?

QuoteQuote:
. . . In Kansas, four people with the virus died. At least 202 have tested positive, including more than 100 assessed by private labs. The virus has been confirmed in more than 30 Kansas counties, but has been concentrated in Wyandotte and Johnson counties. Kansas officials say there have been 3,200 negative test results.

Kansas Attorney General Derek Schmidt said his office had received 107 complaints alleging price gouging since an anti-profiteering law was triggered March 12 by the governor’s emergency declaration.

He said some complaints were referred to local prosecutors and were assigned to investigators within the attorney general’s office.

“The price gouging law is designed to prohibit profiteering from a disaster by unjustifiably raising prices of goods and services needed by the public,” Schmidt said. “We are reviewing every complaint and investigating those that show a possible violation of the law.”

The anti-profiteering law generally prohibits unjustifiably raising prices for goods and services for which consumer demand is likely to increase because of the virus outbreak. A price increase is presumed unjustified if it exceeds by 25% or more the price at which the goods or services were available on March 11 . . .
Kansas coronavirus update: State reports 202 cases, 4th death; price-gouging complaints surpass 100 - News - The Topeka Capital-Journal - Topeka, KS

from what I have read about the costs of masks and other medical equipment some companies might be in trouble since their prices have risen astronomically

of course the State of Kansas might have a jurisdiction problem there

03-27-2020, 12:45 PM   #864
Pentaxian

The US will reach a hundred thousand cases today. A week ago there were 19k. Two weeks ago, a mere two thousand.
03-27-2020, 04:55 PM   #865
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
The US will reach a hundred thousand cases today. A week ago there were 19k. Two weeks ago, a mere two thousand.
It's going to get a lot worse before it gets better. Especially in Africa and other places with inadequate healthcare systems.
03-27-2020, 07:10 PM   #866
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Global confirmed cases of CoViD-19 are edging closer to the 600,000 mark. The thing that surprises me is how widespread it is, and in some of the odd places it is cropping up: Madagascar, Maldives and French Polynesia.

<edit> My data is from THIS source.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-27-2020 at 07:21 PM.
03-27-2020, 07:15 PM   #867
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Global confirmed cases of CoViD-19 are edging closer to the 600,000 mark. The thing that surprises me is how widespread it is, and in some of the odd places it is cropping up: Madagascar, Maldives and French Polynesia.
QuoteQuote:
Global Map
As of 12:00 p.m. ET March 27, 2020

Locations with Confirmed COVID-19 Cases, by WHO Region
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/world-map.html
03-27-2020, 07:15 PM - 2 Likes   #868
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Some of our TV presenters are doing their own make-up, whilst others are doing their spots from home over the internet. Studio crews have been cut to minimum.

Some of our daytime TV shows aren't broadcasting live now, and have resorted to re-runs of earlier episodes...
I've been getting reaquainted with my vinyl and cd collection.

For all I know the rest of the world has ceased to exist.

Haven't even heard an airplane fly over for a few days, commercial or private.
03-27-2020, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #869
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I've been getting reaquainted with my vinyl and cd collection.
Wow Racer, I didn't realize some parts of the world had gone back to the " stone age " .........................................................enjoy mate.
03-27-2020, 07:39 PM - 1 Like   #870
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Wow Racer, I didn't realize some parts of the world had gone back to the " stone age " .........................................................enjoy mate.
I have about 150 albums or so, and several hundred compact discs.

Not a large collection by any stretch. A guy on a record forum shared pictures of his collections recently. He has several thousand vinyl albums, and many more cd's.