Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 4278 Likes Search this Thread
03-31-2020, 12:13 PM - 2 Likes   #1096
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Good to see you post active, deaths and ....recovered. Some media reports I've listened to, read...not always list recovered.
Yep. Most media reports lead you to think that once you get it it either kills you or you have it for life.

03-31-2020, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #1097
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Yep. Most media reports lead you to think that once you get it it either kills you or you have it for life.
as I understand it

the odds of surviving the virus are high

unless you are of a certain age or have pre existing conditions

and even then there is an chance of surviving the virus unless the medical facilities have been overwhelmed

not sure exactly what " surviving " means however I have read some reports of permanent damage done to the body

scarring of the lungs ??
QuoteQuote:
What Does COVID-19 Do to Your Lungs?
https://www.webmd.com/lung/what-does-covid-do-to-your-lungs#1
03-31-2020, 02:00 PM - 6 Likes   #1098
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Puzzling, isn't it?
Sometimes I look at the human race and wonder how all the pieces fit...

...then I realize - they don't.

And that's why it is so hard to see the big picture.
03-31-2020, 02:08 PM   #1099
Pentaxian

Just found out my next door neighbours’ two sons who live and work in London have moved “home” for the duration.

We live 70 miles from London in a small market town and they are putting people locally at risk by moving to what they regard as a safer area and if they become ill will put undue strain on the local hospital.

They are also clearly ignoring Government guidance to Stay at home and not make any unnecessary journeys or social contacts.

03-31-2020, 02:16 PM - 3 Likes   #1100
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Very good point. Not enough has been made of Prince Charles, Tom Hanks ( American Royalty IMO ) and Rita Wilson all recovering.
It seems that " good news " is not as important.
03-31-2020, 02:20 PM   #1101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
One of my sons friends has a well meaning mom that offered to start a puzzle exchange where the puzzles could go from house to house after people used them a while.. same with board games. We politely passed.
That is a wise decision. The virus can survive up to 24 hrs on cardboard. That information is not well known yet.
03-31-2020, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #1102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
folks have apparently been panic-buying puzzles, and now there is a shortage.
That is a sentence I never thought I would ever read.

03-31-2020, 02:40 PM   #1103
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Just found out my next door neighbours’ two sons who live and work in London have moved “home” for the duration.

We live 70 miles from London in a small market town and they are putting people locally at risk by moving to what they regard as a safer area and if they become ill will put undue strain on the local hospital.

They are also clearly ignoring Government guidance to Stay at home and not make any unnecessary journeys or social contacts.
As I have stated before using my skills of circumlocution, the movement of populations from a hot spot to a presumed safe area is how these things spread. Look at the ruckus with NY last week. The governors of several states send the cops around to "second homes" of New Yorker's to see if they had got to their "safe" place and in some cases they demanded that those people self isolate for 14 days whether they had symptoms or not.

In the early days of the North American continent when Smallpox was rampant among the Spanish/French/English (mostly the Spanish) the indigenous people would see their villages being over run by dead people and they would flee upriver (think Mississippi). The virus went with them and the estimates of the dead range up to 90% of the base population. That is millions of people to the point where during the 1700 and 1800's the so called white explorers stated that "they were the first people to ever see this spot". In the mid 1800's the villages on the middle to upper Missouri River were nearly wiped out. The disease even spread to the plains people and even down to the Pueblo cultures of the SouthWest US. In 1862 the NW Coast peoples of the US (out near where I live) population dropped by 50-90% depending on the location. Influenza is also a killer, especially in the Amazon basin. There are documented events where Missionaries moved into a area to contact "lost tribes" and within six months entire cultures have been wiped out - 100% death rate - due to the collapse of the social underpinnings of the society.

When this virus gets into war areas (Syria etc) the rush of people to refuge camps (Turkey, Jordan, Iraq) is going to be a disaster. The same thing will happen in Africa in the crowded cities as infected people go home to get out of the city. The slums of Brazil and India are going to be additional spots to contend with. In Central America there will be people trying to get to the US and Mexico is going to take a big hit.

As for those countries that say they do not have all that many cases, they are either lying outright or they really have no way to measure how many people are sick. Add into this there are still people having the old fashion flu, Strokes, Heart attacks, Appendicitis, car wrecks and other medical conditions that require the same or similar resources that the virus is burning through. This ain't going to be pretty.
03-31-2020, 02:50 PM   #1104
Veteran Member

As long as people decide to move around the virus will spread. Nothing but a strict and kept order to stay at home can prevent this.
Some countries in Europe have rules about moving around. They are kept by police and the army.

A friend in France informed me some shops are already out of stock with food supplies.
I am afraid this crisis has not yet shown its most ugly face.
03-31-2020, 02:52 PM   #1105
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
As I have stated before using my skills of circumlocution, the movement of populations from a hot spot to a presumed safe area is how these things spread. Look at the ruckus with NY last week. The governors of several states send the cops around to "second homes" of New Yorker's to see if they had got to their "safe" place and in some cases they demanded that those people self isolate for 14 days whether they had symptoms or not.

In the early days of the North American continent when Smallpox was rampant among the Spanish/French/English (mostly the Spanish) the indigenous people would see their villages being over run by dead people and they would flee upriver (think Mississippi). The virus went with them and the estimates of the dead range up to 90% of the base population. That is millions of people to the point where during the 1700 and 1800's the so called white explorers stated that "they were the first people to ever see this spot". In the mid 1800's the villages on the middle to upper Missouri River were nearly wiped out. The disease even spread to the plains people and even down to the Pueblo cultures of the SouthWest US. In 1862 the NW Coast peoples of the US (out near where I live) population dropped by 50-90% depending on the location. Influenza is also a killer, especially in the Amazon basin. There are documented events where Missionaries moved into a area to contact "lost tribes" and within six months entire cultures have been wiped out - 100% death rate - due to the collapse of the social underpinnings of the society.

When this virus gets into war areas (Syria etc) the rush of people to refuge camps (Turkey, Jordan, Iraq) is going to be a disaster. The same thing will happen in Africa in the crowded cities as infected people go home to get out of the city. The slums of Brazil and India are going to be additional spots to contend with. In Central America there will be people trying to get to the US and Mexico is going to take a big hit.

As for those countries that say they do not have all that many cases, they are either lying outright or they really have no way to measure how many people are sick. Add into this there are still people having the old fashion flu, Strokes, Heart attacks, Appendicitis, car wrecks and other medical conditions that require the same or similar resources that the virus is burning through. This ain't going to be pretty.
I confronted the father about it and his reaction was they couldn’t get food deliveries in London and they’re safer here!

When I told him I didn’t think it was a good idea he said they’d been isolating themselves for 14 days (probably a lie because the lockdown only started 10 days ago and I think it very unlikely they voluntarily went into isolation early).

Ideally I’d like to see the whole family go into isolation for 14 days but as of this evening the father was out for a walk and the mother works in a local care home and expect her to continue this with the very real risk she will pass on the virus if they’ve bought it with them.I know that sounds paranoid but the reality is it’s such selfish actions that spread it.

I just see it as very selfish behaviour.

Last edited by timb64; 03-31-2020 at 03:19 PM.
03-31-2020, 02:57 PM   #1106
Veteran Member

I see it mostly as a not very clever attitude.
03-31-2020, 03:04 PM - 2 Likes   #1107
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Sometimes I look at the human race and wonder how all the pieces fit...

...then I realize - they don't.

And that's why it is so hard to see the big picture.
Even if the pieces fit eventually at least one piece goes missing.
03-31-2020, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #1108
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh boy. My ears are bleeding. If you want a good laugh, watch this:

03-31-2020, 03:12 PM   #1109
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Anyone dust off their copy of The Andromeda Strain to re watch?

I did, and think I might get the book off the shelf to re read.
03-31-2020, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #1110
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Anyone dust off their copy of The Andromeda Strain to re watch?

I did, and think I might get the book off the shelf to re read.
Can’t see the BBC rerunning this one any time soon

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivors_(2008_TV_series)
Closed Thread