Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 4278 Likes Search this Thread
03-15-2020, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I didn’t know you could restock common sense. Maybe we can produce boxes containing it
I doubt we could make enough of it have any hope of overwhelming the preternatural tsunami of stupidity we have seen in the past few weeks.

03-15-2020, 06:08 AM - 2 Likes   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With all the craziness going on and events being cancelled, I'm hoping to take advantage of the time to get things done. If the weather cooperates and it warms up a bit more, I'd like to finally start repairing my bad sections of siding and paint my house. Trout season opens in two weeks, also. I'm looking forward to some quality lake and stream time.
03-15-2020, 06:51 AM - 5 Likes   #78
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
Those boxes are called humans, some contain it, others don't. Unfortunately (?) selling those boxes is forbidden in most countries.
Can we ship all the people with defective common sense to Precision for an out-of-warranty repair? That'll keep them locked up for weeks!
03-15-2020, 06:54 AM   #79
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Oh.... if anybody knows how to buy and store a months worth of cake, biscuits, chocolate and chips and then not consume them in a week I'd like to know.
I bake ))) Got flour, butter, oil, etc...

---------- Post added 03-15-20 at 06:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
There's no "if" about it, Lana - my family's safety absolutely comes first.

I have that month's supply of groceries - everything I think we might need, worked out on a spreadsheet based on daily meal and snack requirements, sanitary and household products (knowing how much we typically get through, plus a little more for good measure), medicines (OTC pain-killers / fever regulators, electrolyte drink tablets, antiseptic cream, band-aids etc.), pet food and the like. This pandemic is going to last a lot longer than a month. The only way for me to completely avoid shopping trips would be to buy way more groceries than the three of us could possibly need for the next six months or more, and whilst my family is my priority, that would - IMHO - be inconsiderate to the wider community who also need supplies.

As for bringing unpacked groceries into the house, I don't have a lot of alternatives. I have some stored in the garage, the rest in a couple of deep kitchen cupboards. We washed our hands thoroughly after unpacking, and that's the best we can do. We could use a delivery service going forward (and have the groceries left outside our door), but the items coming into our home would still have been handled by many people in the supply chain - including staff at the grocery stores I'd otherwise have to visit.

I saw the video from China, they unpack everything they bring from the store and dispose the package outside the house: pasta, cooked meals - everything. They also wash every fruit or vegetable with soap, or peel it. No long hair our during the trips.

As for how long it will last- who knows. I guess 2 month, but it also depends on place and population. I just wish everyone will be well.

03-15-2020, 07:20 AM - 12 Likes   #80
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Saw this in another corner of the internets:

The English are feeling the pinch in relation to recent virus threat and have therefore raised their threat level from “Miffed” to “Peeved.” Soon, though, level may be raised yet again to “Irritated” or even “A Bit Cross.”

The English have not been “A Bit Cross” since the blitz in 1940 when tea supplies nearly ran out.

The virus has been re-categorized from “Tiresome” to “A Bloody Nuisance.” The last time the British issued a “Bloody Nuisance” warning level was in 1588, when threatened by the Spanish Armada.

The Scots have raised their threat level from “Pissed Off” to “Let's Get the Bastard.” They don't have any other levels. This is the reason they have been used on the front line of the British army for the last 300 years

Australia, meanwhile, has raised its alert level from “No worries” to “She'll be alright, Mate.” Two more escalation levels remain: “Crikey! I think we'll need to cancel the barbie this weekend!” and “The barbie is cancelled.” So far, no situation has ever warranted use of the final escalation level.
03-15-2020, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #81
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I saw the video from China, they unpack everything they bring from the store and dispose the package outside the house: pasta, cooked meals - everything. They also wash every fruit or vegetable with soap, or peel it. No long hair our during the trips.
I have a number 1 or 2 buzz-cut most of the time, so no issue there

As for sitting at the door unpacking, getting rid of packaging then washing fruit and veg with soap or peeling it before bringing it inside, no thanks. The only fresh items we're buying are those we can cook (above 75 deg Celsius should kill the virus). We're avoiding fresh salads and fruit for now. And we're washing our hands before and after food preparation.

Like I said, we're simply trying to reduce our risk with practical measures. These may not be as stringent as yours or some of the folks in China, but they're fairly easy to implement and don't impact significantly on our normal life. I'm quite aware they won't guarantee our safety, but they'll definitely help... and I'm pretty certain that if everyone took similar measures, the spread of the virus would be significantly delayed and/or reduced...
03-15-2020, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
Those boxes are called humans, some contain it, others don't.
I'm quite willing to accept that common sense is some sort of quantum particle the opposing anti-particle would be the Bogon. When they annihilate, thoughts and ideas are formed. It is a known fact that in quantum systems If you try to measure the properties of a particle you will invariably, through observation, change the result.

03-15-2020, 07:51 AM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I'm quite willing to accept that common sense is some sort of quantum particle the opposing anti-particle would be the Bogon. When they annihilate, thoughts and ideas are formed. It is a known fact that in quantum systems If you try to measure the properties of a particle you will invariably, through observation, change the result.

Thinking of common sense as a quantified physical quantity can get very interesting. So, a decission is only common sense or bogon after it has been measured. Makes more sense than one could assume before thinking about it. Hmmmm

Last edited by WorksAsIntended; 03-15-2020 at 07:59 AM.
03-15-2020, 08:45 AM   #84
Pentaxian

Some of the notable billionaires have been saying for years that most of the earth's problems are due to overpopulation.

Well, this new virus just might be an answer to this concern. First, it kills off most of us old geezers. Second, the youngsters stop making new population for fear of getting the virus.
03-15-2020, 11:56 AM   #85
Pentaxian

Glad i left New Orleans. Louisianna has tested less than 300 and have 91 cases. Bourbon st was packed like nothing is happening. Despite bans on crowds the bar Traceys was still promoting their St. Patricks day block party. The police had to break that up. They also kept driving down Bourbon St telling people to leave but it remained packed. The locals are screwed and the tourist are gonna carry it home with them.
03-15-2020, 02:59 PM - 6 Likes   #86
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Some of the notable billionaires have been saying for years that most of the earth's problems are due to overpopulation.

Well, this new virus just might be an answer to this concern. First, it kills off most of us old geezers. Second, the youngsters stop making new population for fear of getting the virus.
You wait, nine months from now. With all the people staying home from work or telecommuting there will be a baby boom. Just like after the power loss events in NYC back a few decades ago. Bored people at home tend to engage in "personal" recreation.
03-15-2020, 03:26 PM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
You wait, nine months from now. With all the people staying home from work or telecommuting there will be a baby boom. Just like after the power loss events in NYC back a few decades ago. Bored people at home tend to engage in "personal" recreation.
You are assuming people will get close enough to have sex
03-15-2020, 03:38 PM - 3 Likes   #88
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Since I'm divorced and now resolutely single, I guess I know how I'll be spending my time...
03-15-2020, 03:50 PM - 3 Likes   #89
Pentaxian

Since I'm divorced and now resolutely single, I guess I know how I'll be spending my time...
Was it Woody Allen who described it as “doing it” with someone you truly loved?!
03-15-2020, 03:55 PM - 1 Like   #90
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
You are assuming people will get close enough to have sex
As far as I can tell, all the government restrictions do not include "personal relations". There would be world wide riots if governments said "no sex" and just how do you propose that a "no sex" rule would be enforced?

Remember Lowell, us old guys don't count.

---------- Post added 03-15-20 at 03:56 PM ----------

Maybe Lowell could hire you to monitor his place - remotely of course.
Closed Thread