Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 4278 Likes Search this Thread
03-17-2020, 03:39 PM   #181
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I try to insert an article in an Italian newspaper that explains the logic of the enemy virus. I can't translate it, I hope your google translate can do it.

title: Coronavirus, the math of contagion that helps us reason in the midst of chaos
Contagi da Coronavirus, quante persone puņ contagiare un infetto - Corriere.it

03-17-2020, 03:40 PM   #182
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
I don't understand the panic for TP. A paperback book is made of paper and can be bought at a thrift store for 50 cents.......
I'm a bit of a slow reader.... so this would extend my toileting by up to half an hour.... maybe an hour on a messy day.

I tried coloring in books once.... I ended up with cramps.... couldn't stand up.
03-17-2020, 03:43 PM - 4 Likes   #183
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's the way I put this in perspective:
There are 3 possibilities.
I don't contract it. No problem.
I do contract it and survive. No problem.
I catch it and die. I won't be around to for it to be a problem.

Seriously, joking aside, if it comes to a point where I need permission to leave my house to walk around the block or shop for groceries, I hope it kills me.
03-17-2020, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #184
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
So far as this thread goes, among those laughing and joking will be a significant proportion who are simply trying to maintain a positive outlook and crack the odd smile for themselves and others here. Don't mistake a little much-needed levity with a lack of understanding. Most folks here are, I would venture, both mature and smart enough to grasp the severity of our collective problem

maybe I misunderstood, I apologize. I have language problems. However, my opinion remains that it is better for public opinion that there is more fear than lightness. The rules of isolation are better respected to reduce contacts as much as possible.

03-17-2020, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #185
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Here's the way I put this in perspective:
There are 3 possibilities.
I don't contract it. No problem.
I do contract it and survive. No problem.
I catch it and die. I won't be around to for it to be a problem.

Seriously, joking aside, if it comes to a point where I need permission to leave my house to walk around the block or shop for groceries, I hope it kills me.
Possibility 4 is "I contract it, have no symptoms, walk around the block and shop for groceries without any precaution, I kill a dozen vulnerable people". I know you're joking, but when people take that attitude seriously we land in this sad reality. In good part because people can't defer their normal life for two weeks

And regarding possibility number 2, unfortunately, it's not "I do contract it and survive. No problem". It seems many people come out with (semi?)permanent lung damage due to the formation of scar tissue. I don't want to ever have chronic pulmonary insufficiency, much less at the tender age of young
03-17-2020, 03:52 PM   #186
Pentaxian

Original Poster
If you want, he will tell you what is happening here in Italy. More or less everyone will have the same experience. We started before you, but after the Chinese. We have not learned from the Chinese and you are repeating our own mistakes.

but the best were in Korea. Many tampons is the best tactic, especially in the initial phase. It allows to identify and isolate.
03-17-2020, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #187
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Possibility 4 is "I contract it, have no symptoms, walk around the block and shop for groceries without any precaution, I kill a dozen vulnerable people". I know you're joking, but when people take that attitude seriously we land in this sad reality. In good part because people can't defer their normal life for two weeks

And regarding possibility number 2, unfortunately, it's not "I do contract it and survive. No problem". It seems many people come out with (semi?)permanent lung damage due to the formation of scar tissue. I don't want to ever have chronic pulmonary insufficiency, much less at the tender age of young
I didn't say I wouldn't comply with the constraints. I would. But with regard to willingness to live under those conditions versus dieing, I wasn't joking.

03-17-2020, 04:06 PM   #188
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nonpigliounoshoot Quote
maybe I misunderstood, I apologize. I have language problems. However, my opinion remains that it is better for public opinion that there is more fear than lightness. The rules of isolation are better respected to reduce contacts as much as possible.
No apology necessary I appreciate and applaud your desire for members to treat this seriously. Actually, I'd guess most already did... but for those that previously didn't, recent official communications and the now constant media exposure should have been more than enough to convert them.

Fear is a multi-faceted thing. It's good if it's the "right kind" - the sort of brief shock that, coupled with common sense and logic, results in positive action. If it's the "wrong kind" - sitting at home worrying about something, for example - then it's not at all constructive, IMHO. Lightness is multi-faceted too... but much needed, so long as it's not used in place of common sense and action. Whilst I can't be certain, I hope most folks here are simply making light for a bit of relief in disturbing times

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-17-2020 at 04:15 PM.
03-17-2020, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #189
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nonpigliounoshoot Quote
Never under estimate the Australian need "to vent" via humor of one type or another. Generally, when the crunch comes, they are the ones to rely on.... in a way.... it's a natural response ...... and keeps one sane enough to step up when needed..... rather then paralized with fear.

Off course, there is a time and place for most things.... and this is a social forum so a bit of both seriousness and humor probally work well.
03-17-2020, 04:15 PM - 4 Likes   #190
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I'm a bit of a slow reader.... so this would extend my toileting by up to half an hour.... maybe an hour on a messy day.
I think the take-away here is, if your bowels are operating as normal, a paperback can offer both rewarding reading material for a few days, plus an emergency supply of wiping stock. If, however, you're loose, you'd better speed-read the last few chapters lest you fore-go the denouement in favour of cleanliness...
03-17-2020, 04:15 PM - 3 Likes   #191
Veteran Member

Annnndddd.... Always look on the bright side of life!

03-17-2020, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #192
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting article here: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2002032

The whole page is rather interesting: https://www.nejm.org/coronavirus

And some technical and interesting reading here, also on potential antiviral strategies: https://mmrjournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40779-020-00240-0

Last edited by MarkJerling; 03-17-2020 at 04:43 PM.
03-17-2020, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #193
Pentaxian

Jaws has come to mind during this crisis. The debate and delay in closing the beaches because it was the fourth of July. And this hint at social distancing and the cruise ships.
03-17-2020, 04:33 PM   #194
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Jaws has come to mind during this crisis. The debate and delay in closing the beaches because it was the fourth of July. And this hint at social distancing and the cruise ships.
That can be taken two ways... the economic impact, and the fact that panic will ensue. Both those factors are present in our countries' responses and official advice, but - with respect - this pandemic situation is way more complicated and has many more factors to consider than a single rogue shark killing individual people sequentially...
03-17-2020, 04:41 PM - 3 Likes   #195
Veteran Member

All the empty shelves (well, and my previous post here...) made me think of this:

Closed Thread