Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 4278 Likes Search this Thread
03-18-2020, 03:01 PM   #271
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There seem to be many different tests and some give false negative 30%. Until you know what testing is done it is hard to guess at anything, let alone say we know anything.
It appears like NBA players get it more often simply because of sampling bias. Indeed in Utah they sampled all the NBA players and the rest of Utah had the same number of tests.

03-18-2020, 04:47 PM - 6 Likes   #272
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Maybe we need a new thread in "Mini Challenges": "The Most Ridiculous Household Item You Can Think to Photograph".
Done.

Silly Caronavirus " Self Isolation " Household images - PentaxForums.com

EDIT - The sillier, the better folks.

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 03-18-2020 at 05:08 PM.
03-18-2020, 07:52 PM - 1 Like   #273
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote

But you can still get the "Special Buy" adjustable work benches (subject to the four unit maximum, of course)... so it's not all bad news...
Aldi woodworking chisels have a cult-like following in woodworking circles. We don't have a nearby store and I probably have 5 complete sets of chisels around, so no firsthand knowledge.

The supermarket I went to today had a decent amount of everything except fresh meat. People seemed calmer, especially since there's maybe a blizzard tomorrow.
03-18-2020, 08:58 PM - 2 Likes   #274
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is just sad...

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Aldi has no 49, 52, 55 and 58mm lens caps and is now rationing sales of all items to a maximum of four per customer.
And you know I don't have enough lens caps for my 200+ collection of 50mm lenses...

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-18-2020 at 11:48 PM.
03-19-2020, 02:05 AM   #275
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

New Zealand borders now closed for ALL visitors.

Exceptions can be made on a case-by-case basis by Immigration New Zealand for humanitarian reasons, health and other essential workers, citizens of Samoa and Tonga for essential travel to New Zealand and for the holder of a visitor visa who is the partner of dependent of a temporary work or student visa holder and who normally lives in New Zealand and is currently in New Zealand.
No other foreign traveller can enter New Zealand. Returning residents and citizens must isolate themselves for 14 days upon arrival.

We're at 28 infectious people.
03-19-2020, 02:29 AM - 1 Like   #276
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
We're at 28 infectious people.
We've just topped 600, and our borders are closed as of 21:00 tomorrow.

Here's hoping it bears fruit - but we won't see the results for at least a week. And as they say in the classics, a week is a long time in politics.
03-19-2020, 02:40 AM   #277
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The hard thing in the states is that it is so piecemeal. Virginia has closed all restaurants and bars to eat in. Most churches and synagogues are abiding by the same mandate not to have gatherings. Many business have shuttered to non-essential employees. But Florida still has many beaches open and there are still probably plenty of college students that are there on spring break despite warnings to the contrary.

It makes even less sense when you consider the number of older Americans that retire there -- about 20 percent of their population is over 65.

03-19-2020, 02:45 AM - 1 Like   #278
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I live in Shawnee County

half measures make no sense:

QuoteQuote:
TOPEKA — Shawnee County health officer Gianfranco Pezzino on Wednesday ordered the closure of restaurants, bars and theaters, and banned gatherings of 10 or more until further notice.

The order, which takes effect at 12:01 a.m. Thursday, prohibits any dine-in seating but allows for carryout, drive-through and delivery of food and beverages.

Pezzino’s order follows similar measures taken in other counties to limit the spread of COVID-19. So far, no one has tested positive in Shawnee County. Earlier this week, officials said dozens of county residents were under quarantine without symptoms, and others were waiting for test results.

Gov. Laura Kelly has banned gatherings of 50 or more. At least 22 residents have tested positive so far.

In Shawnee County, the ban on gatherings of 10 or more contains exceptions for government functions, health care facilities, private businesses, religious activities, weddings and funerals
we either need to not gather, or gathering is ok

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-19-2020 at 02:51 AM.
03-19-2020, 03:10 AM   #279
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I live in Shawnee County

I think most religious groups are honoring that ban, even if they have a constitutional right to carry on as usual.
03-19-2020, 03:14 AM - 1 Like   #280
Veteran Member

I live in Shawnee County

Well, yes and no. It is not about not getting infected, it is about people not all getting infected at the same time so the hospitals do not get overloaded.

So IF (and this is where the "yes" part comes into play, because currently no model is that good at predicting the spread rendering the decissions bs indeed) a lighter restriction is enough to slow it down sufficiantly for the hospitals to work through all patients it is ok to only restrict it in some areas.

The issue is, people making decissions that do not know enough about the topic, a common problem of politics. In the Netherlands they want to build up immunity in the young generation by only sepperating the old ones. At this point there is no clear evidence if immunity from this virus is achievable at all. Further problems are the only about 1000 beds for intensive care for 18 million people in the Netherlands, that have over 80% usage without the virus already. So even the young generation with much less complications will not be able to get enough room in the hospital. Why is it like this? Because a single consultant told the premier its the "current state of science" and the best thing to do.

This is an interesting thought, but there is at this point not a single studie showing enough evidence and this is certainly not the current state of pandemic sciences, only a very niche thing.

I am not saying this has to be wrong for sure, but this is like going all in with 15% aquity against a poker player that calls for sure.
03-19-2020, 03:24 AM   #281
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think most religious groups are honoring that ban, even if they have a constitutional right to carry on as usual.
I agree some are doing that

and to add to the confusion - in some legal jurisdictions these restrictions are advisory only

I keep thinking of an old Vincent Price movie:

QuoteQuote:
The Masque of the Red Death (1964)

DescriptionThe evil Prince Prospero, a medieval Italian prince, devoted to the pursuit of evil and the worship of Satan, enjoys the high life in his eerie country castle as the Red Plague destroys the peasant population around him.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058333/

when I see crowds of people gathering and going to beaches
03-19-2020, 03:34 AM   #282
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
. . . The issue is, people making decissions that do not know enough about the topic, a common problem of politics. In the Netherlands they want to build up immunity in the young generation by only sepperating the old ones. At this point there is no clear evidence if immunity from this virus is achievable at all. Further problems are the only about 1000 beds for intensive care for 18 million people in the Netherlands, that have over 80% usage without the virus already. So even the young generation with much less complications will not be able to get enough room in the hospital. Why is it like this? Because a single consultant told the premier its the "current state of science" and the best thing to do.

This is an interesting thought, but there is at this point not a single studie showing enough evidence and this is certainly not the current state of pandemic sciences, only a very niche thing.

I am not saying this has to be wrong for sure, but this is like going all in with 15% aquity against a poker player that calls for sure.
A problem is that a virus may change through mutation over time

thus those who may be thought to be in a group which will not be affected or not face the worse from a virus

may lose that quality over time

the " flu " shot offered every year is not totally effective because the flu virus changes and mutates over time
03-19-2020, 03:50 AM - 3 Likes   #283
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

thus those who may be thought to be in a group which will not be affected or not face the worse from a virus

the " flu " shot offered every year is not totally effective because the flu virus changes and mutates over time
Lets not make this worse than it is. The virus has been present for 4 months at this point and shows no sign of mutation. The reality is that weaker strains of a virus tend to be the ones that survive the longest because the people with them are alive and mobile and can infect others. Really strong strains tend to die out pretty quickly because their hosts are unable to infect others. This is not influenza and has no indication of significant mutations. How fast can the coronavirus mutate? | Live Science

Vaccine trials have already started and will likely be effective, I just don't know that a vaccine can be ramped up in sufficient quantities to provide herd immunity before serious damage is done to our society. Assuming trials are effective, it would still be a minimum of 3 to 4 months to get a high number of vaccine doses online.
03-19-2020, 04:10 AM   #284
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Lets not make this worse than it is. . . . .
my intent is not to make it " worse than it is "

one of our current problems is that we really don't know how bad it is

in my county, based on the last information I know, we have numerous people who are suspected of being exposed who are not, or cannot be. tested currently

our hospitals and medical personnel are doing their best to prepare now and in the future but no one really can say what that future is

there are reliable reports that those who were thought to be at the lower risk range are now seen to be at greater risk than before

how quickly a virus mutates, one that as far as I know, hasn't been studied for a long time, is unknown

the good news is that this virus is currently survivable for a large percentage of those known to be infected
03-19-2020, 04:12 AM - 1 Like   #285
Veteran Member

Of course this is right. It currently looks like this particular virus is rather stable and does not mutate quickly. In fact, this is a very significant property of this virus. This does not mean there won't be mutations, but at least that they are rising more slowly than with the flue. Of course, as with pretty much any statement about this virus, take it with a grain of salt. The time is way to short to have any kind of scientifictly prooven knowledge, it is alway just an indication at the moment.
Closed Thread