Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2020, 01:09 PM   #346
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
I did not want to criticize journalists in general and even less a specific one. I have a good idea of classical journalism and if a journalist has the possibility to work this way (some are forced to write articles in a few hours or just copy something from another source in times of fast online journalism) it is a very important profession. If I
It is just one of the cases where it is really hard to judge sources, as many sources at the moment seem to mix opinions and facts. In Germany for example, there are three people considered the main experts and they clearly mix a lot opinion into the scientific part.
Now, if someone who has a PhD and worked for decades on this topic has a hard time to draw conclusions, it is even harder for someone who has a more general idea about this topic and has to ask sources.
This is in the nature of controvers topics and not enough solid data in combination with high importance.
Again, it is not about attacking journalists, but this topic is hard to communicate and hard to understand in its whole, even for the "real experts".
I understand and yes it is very difficult.

03-19-2020, 01:36 PM - 3 Likes   #347
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If the coronavirus gets me, can I donate my body to the zoo? I might as well be useful for something.
03-19-2020, 01:43 PM - 2 Likes   #348
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
If the coronavirus gets me, can I donate my body to the zoo? I might as well be useful for something.
at the zoo where I volunteer as a docent, the carnivores are fed horse meat

so given your user name ______horse

perhaps ?
03-19-2020, 01:46 PM - 2 Likes   #349
Pentaxian

I'm far more well known as a horse's ___!

03-19-2020, 01:58 PM   #350
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
I'm far more well known as a horse's ___!
Why am I not surprised.
03-19-2020, 02:17 PM - 2 Likes   #351
Pentaxian

My auto auction job is closed for the month - with pay. I have extra hours at Walmart. Go figure...

For those with time on their hands...In 1968, the Science Fiction Writers of America voted "Nightfall" the best science fiction short story written prior to the 1965 establishment of the Nebula Awards - "Nightfall" is a 1941 science fiction novelette by American writer Isaac Asimov about the coming of darkness to the people of the planet Lagash, ordinarily illuminated by several suns at all times. A skeptical journalist visits a university observatory to interview a group of scientists who warn that civilization will soon end. The researchers explain that they have discovered evidence of numerous ancient civilizations, all destroyed by fire, with each collapse occurring about 2,000 years apart. Learning that the universe is far more vast—and Lagash far more insignificant—than they believed causes everyone, including the scientists, to go insane. Outside the observatory, in the direction of the city, the horizon begins glowing with the light of spreading fires as "the long night" returns to Lagash.

And The Andromeda Strain movie - a team of scientists investigate a deadly organism of extraterrestrial origin. "Most of them died instantly, but a few had time to go quietly nuts. "

Last edited by SpecialK; 03-19-2020 at 11:51 PM.
03-19-2020, 02:23 PM   #352
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
My auto auction job is closed for the month - with pay. I have extra hours at Walmart. Go figure...

For those with time on their hands...In 1968, the Science Fiction Writers of America voted "Nightfall" the best science fiction short story written prior to the 1965 establishment of the Nebula Awards - "Nightfall" is a 1941 science fiction novelette by American writer Isaac Asimov about the coming of darkness to the people of the planet Lagash, ordinarily illuminated by several suns at all times. A skeptical journalist visits a university observatory to interview a group of scientists who warn that civilization will soon end. The researchers explain that they have discovered evidence of numerous ancient civilizations, all destroyed by fire, with each collapse occurring about 2,000 years apart. Learning that the universe is far more vast—and Lagash far more insignificant—than they believed causes everyone, including the scientists, to go insane. Outside the observatory, in the direction of the city, the horizon begins glowing with the light of spreading fires as "the long night" returns to Lagash.

And The Andromeda Strain movie - a team of scientists investigate a deadly organism of extraterrestrial origin. :Most of them died instantly, but a few had time to go quietly nuts. "
I remember them both

as an elective in college I took a course based on science fiction books

I read the entire semester's book list in less than 30 days

it was claimed in the course that the first known Science Fiction story was about Greeks rowing to the Sun ( or was it the moon )

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-19-2020 at 02:30 PM.
03-19-2020, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #353
Pentaxian

Failing to prepare is preparation for failure.Let’s hope some lessons are learned from the present situation.

From 2015

03-19-2020, 03:19 PM   #354
Pentaxian

Buying gear on the web does not seem like a good idea. The package might be a long time coming.

QuoteQuote:
Truckers are trying to navigate growing challenges on highways and at loading docks as they seek to keep supply chains running to meet surging coronavirus-driven demand for consumer staples and medical equipment.

Shipments of items such as electronics and health and beauty products are being delayed as retailers make more room in distribution centers and stores for food, paper products and diapers...

Truckers Facing Coronavirus Hurdles in Keeping Supply Chains Moving - WSJ
03-19-2020, 03:29 PM   #355
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Considering that university has cancelled many classes and the photography studios where I work have likewise are closed to non-commercial work, now I suddenly have a glut of free time: so I have applied for a technical assistant job in a pathology lab in Adelaide. There is no guarantee I'll get the job, but I have a lot of relevant experience with lab equipment and the techniques they require - though I'll have to do some reading to catch up on cell culture techniques as things have undoubtedly changed in the years since I got my chemistry degree.
03-19-2020, 03:31 PM - 3 Likes   #356
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
now I suddenly have a glut of free time
Silly Caronavirus " Self Isolation " Household images - PentaxForums.com
03-19-2020, 06:37 PM   #357
Pentaxian

This is kind of interesting considering the ibuprofin controversy.
French Minister Olivier Veran, a physician, tweeted that anti-inflammatory medications like ibuprofen "could be a factor in aggravating the infection,"
There is both reason to believe both good or bad as of now. However in 1918 NSAIDS, asprin at the time killed 30-1 over hydrotherapy. Not because of its use but at the time doses were given at toxic levels and caused a spike in deaths. I bet the doctor saw this strong correlation without investigating deeper. He put it out there and with the rapidity of this learning curve it was reported way to soon where it was probably meant for scientists to look into only.
Great explanation of NSAIDS from 5 hours ago.
03-19-2020, 07:45 PM   #358
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
This is kind of interesting considering the ibuprofin controversy.
French Minister Olivier Veran, a physician, tweeted that anti-inflammatory medications like ibuprofen "could be a factor in aggravating the infection,"
There is both reason to believe both good or bad as of now. However in 1918 NSAIDS, asprin at the time killed 30-1 over hydrotherapy. Not because of its use but at the time doses were given at toxic levels and caused a spike in deaths. I bet the doctor saw this strong correlation without investigating deeper. He put it out there and with the rapidity of this learning curve it was reported way to soon where it was probably meant for scientists to look into only.
Great explanation of NSAIDS from 5 hours ago.
Coronavirus Pandemic Update 40: Ibuprofen and COVID-19 (are NSAIDs safe?), trials of HIV medications - YouTube
This is questionable
03-19-2020, 08:11 PM   #359
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
This is questionable
Yep that's why i said "I bet"
Still facinating.
03-19-2020, 08:42 PM - 3 Likes   #360
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While I was reading the post about ibuprofen, my wife was taking some. She's an MD with 30 years of experience so I defer to that.
Closed Thread