Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 4278 Likes Search this Thread
03-20-2020, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #391
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
And a lot of other conditions. To understand the data the size of the group is very important. If it were 99% of the people having underlying health issues generally having 99% in those who died of SARS-Cov2 would mean there is no difference.
Of course this is a fictional and extreme example, but I think the example demonstrates why this number is important to put it into perspective.
speaking of putting things into perspective

as others have mentioned

this virus is survivable - it isn't Ebola

it will affect the world both as a virus and as an economic " tsunami "

so long as the best method to deal with it is closing of businesses and isolation

03-20-2020, 12:52 PM   #392
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
You can say that again. Where did that email come from, if I may ask?
That would be sales@blattworld.com

I'm sure its well meaning but really does far more harm than good

al
03-20-2020, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #393
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Absolutely.
"Don't confuse me with facts, my mind's made up".

Everyone is guilty of that at times.
who - moi ?

03-20-2020, 01:02 PM - 3 Likes   #394
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
who - moi ?
Moi aussi.
People who think they know everything are really annoying to those of us who actually do.

03-20-2020, 01:12 PM   #395
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Well, back to the Mis-information out there... I just received this email.

This is the kind of non-sense thats part of the problem....There are so many things wrong in this email, things that are wrong and important things that are missing. ...if you get emails like this.. Just delete them. Please do not believe them.
al
If you substitute whisky for the word water, it might work.
03-20-2020, 01:14 PM   #396
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

New York, Illinois and California have all announced some form of " stay at home " orders
QuoteQuote:
Restrictions are dramatically ramping up amid the growing coronavirus pandemic, with Illinois and its 10 million residents in the Chicago area the latest to join California in a state of effective lockdown. Meantime, New York told nonessential workers to stay home,. . .

New York Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo ordered all workers in his state to stay home, except for those in essential services. The move came after California Gov. Gavin Newsom ordered 40 million residents to remain at home.. . . .
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/03/20/coronavirus-latest-news/

QuoteQuote:
Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker issued a “stay at home” order for the entire state starting Saturday at 5 p.m. through April 7.

Residents can still go to the grocery stores, put gas in their cars, take walks outside and make pharmacy runs, the governor said at a Friday afternoon news conference. All local roads, including the interstate highways and tollways, will remain open to traffic, as well.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-coronavirus-illinois-shelter-i...hau-story.html

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-20-2020 at 01:22 PM.
03-20-2020, 01:25 PM - 3 Likes   #397
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nocturnal Quote
London UK is becoming an epicentre for Covid-19 and the closest bar to the prime minister's 10 Downing Street office was full of people.

Morons or selfish people like this need to be locked in, meanwhile the government still pussy-foots around with this pandemic and continues to put out fake information.

What is happening in Italy is scary with more deaths than China despite a full nationwide lock down and about 1/25th of China's population.
The UK government leaders believe they are smarter than all the other scientists and do not believe they are susceptible in the general pop to the virus. Until this AM the only recommendation, to my knowledge, was for the sick and elderly to stay home and be careful. But the rest of the pop.."herd" protection...or herd infection...since even the scientists did not understand what the PM meant. Now that the infection rate and # deaths are increasing they are finally changing their plan. Unfortunately it may be 1-2 weeks too late. Nobody knows why the UK decided not to ramp up anti-viral control/reduction like other countries.

---------- Post added 03-20-2020 at 04:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
While I was reading the post about ibuprofen, my wife was taking some. She's an MD with 30 years of experience so I defer to that.

The interesting about ibuprofen and ACE-2 medications for hypertension...and coronavirus: the media picked up reports that were observational and never tested. A cardiology expert had to write a paper to the medical community to state that nothing has been proven. The ibuprofen story is interesting in that the WHO blew it when one spokesperson stated not to take it and the next statement said there is no evidence to support it.

"Earlier reports said a spokesperson had cautioned against using ibuprofen to manage symptoms of the illness caused by the coronavus until WHO experts could investigate.

Ibuprofen is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicine, or NSAID. It's sold under a number of brand names, including Advil and Nurofen. In addition to treating pain, it's often used to manage fever associated with various viral or bacterial infections.
WHO clarified its position Wednesday evening in a tweet saying "at present, based on currently available information, WHO does not recommend against the use of ibuprofen."

Can't believe everything you hear or see until you investigate it properly.

From what I have read...the current recommendation is that ACE-2 for hypertension should not be discontinued. In sick, elderly, infected patients, one may want to be careful in prescribing this medication for the first time. Ibuprofen can be used in healthy individuals and those infected with the virus may want to consider other medications such as Tylenol. But nothing has been proven.

There were also reports that HIV medications may help with treatment if infected with the virus. A report just came out today that showed this treatment has not been successful.

They are now researching an anti-malarial drug, Hydoxychloroquine. So far looks promising.

03-20-2020, 02:06 PM   #398
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Is morbid obesity considered an underlying health issue?Just asking.
If you ask the management of the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, apparently so. Yesterday it was added to their list of criteria that allows their workers to be sent home with their physician’s letter affirming it. My wife has been cranking out a LOT of these for shipyard workers this week, since her clinic cancelled most non essential visits.
03-20-2020, 03:04 PM   #399
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fresh off of Science's ovens: a (mostly) German team has studied the main protease enzyme of the coronavirus and modified one of their previously-discovered inhibitors. From what they report, the alpha-ketoamide inhibitor they synthesized can stop the replication of the virus in its tracks after it has taken hold in lung cells.

The source is here: Crystal structure of SARS-CoV-2 main protease provides a basis for design of improved ?-ketoamide inhibitors | Science
03-20-2020, 04:44 PM   #400
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Fresh off of Science's ovens: a (mostly) German team has studied the main protease enzyme of the coronavirus and modified one of their previously-discovered inhibitors.
Well if reverse transcriptase can't be targeted protease certainly can. Let us hope the modification can hold up to mass production, a lot of drugs do well in small scale in lab conditions but scaled up there can be problems such as undesirable polymorphs and reagents being simply too difficult to work with.

the alpha-ketoamide inhibitor they synthesized can stop the replication of the virus in its tracks after it has taken hold in lung cells
At least until the virus finds a way around it.
03-20-2020, 05:04 PM   #401
Pentaxian

Fresh off of Science's ovens: a (mostly) German team has studied the main protease enzyme of the coronavirus and modified one of their previously-discovered inhibitors. From what they report, the alpha-ketoamide inhibitor they synthesized can stop the replication of the virus in its tracks after it has taken hold in lung cells.

The source is here: Crystal structure of SARS-CoV-2 main protease provides a basis for design of improved ?-ketoamide inhibitors | Science
I was hoping medcram would walk me through this, maybe covered tomorrow.
As I understand it. In a cell it will cleave the protein the viral rna directs the cell to make. It can last in the bloodstream and lungs for about 4 hours. How does it get in the cells? Zinc is a known inhibitor but dosing on zinc won't help unless you are deficient because the cells wont absorb it.
Am i on the right track and can anyone clarify this?
03-20-2020, 05:08 PM   #402
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Well if reverse transcriptase can't be targeted protease certainly can. Let us hope the modification can hold up to mass production, a lot of drugs do well in small scale in lab conditions but scaled up there can be problems such as undesirable polymorphs and reagents being simply too difficult to work with.

At least until the virus finds a way around it.
Yeah, from what I read on the paper the modification isn't all that complicated, but organic chemistry isn't my forte and I have no clue whatsoever whether it's feasible or not.
03-20-2020, 08:07 PM - 1 Like   #403
Veteran Member

Still the ignorance thrives

I called into a garage there to get milk for my mother, I wouldn't let the sales person touch it and scanned it myself and paid with non touch card. He sighed and said 'everybody is over-reacting, it's just the flu'...

The above is beyond belief but not really considering the amount of morons in society, especially here, this is the reason why some people need to be ordered and not asked to do something.

In the world of 24 hour news and 24/7 connectivity I still couldn't believe what I was hearing but I'm glad I never let him handle the milk.

Still today I seen hairdressers and barbers open, how can you keep your distance getting a hair cut? At 45 I currently have the longest hair in my life anyway and could join the foo-fighters or something like that.
03-20-2020, 08:12 PM - 3 Likes   #404
Veteran Member

99% of Those Who Died From Virus Had Other Illness, Italy Says - Bloomberg

---------- Post added 03-20-20 at 08:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by nocturnal Quote
I called into a garage there to get milk for my mother, I wouldn't let the sales person touch it and scanned it myself and paid with non touch card. He sighed and said 'everybody is over-reacting, it's just the flu'...

The above is beyond belief but not really considering the amount of morons in society, especially here, this is the reason why some people need to be ordered and not asked to do something.

In the world of 24 hour news and 24/7 connectivity I still couldn't believe what I was hearing but I'm glad I never let him handle the milk.

Still today I seen hairdressers and barbers open, how can you keep your distance getting a hair cut? At 45 I currently have the longest hair in my life anyway and could join the foo-fighters or something like that.
It is just the flu! Its another strain, but in the US more have died to the regular flu than to this. Its not the plague
03-20-2020, 09:24 PM - 1 Like   #405
Pentaxian

yep more people died in the last minute than the entire of the future too! funny how that works.

Well there are always a few. This is why we can't have nice things.
Closed Thread