Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2020, 07:34 AM - 2 Likes   #541
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Thanks mate. Australia is tracking a flatter curve than many, but there is still very real concern that our health system may soon be swamped. I hope we are locking down early (and effectively) enough.
Hopefully. Australia did have a far later lockdown than other countries and could still be in danger due to the long incubation period. It can be difficult to tell where a country is in the curve.

The 35k cases being reported here in the US is an absolute grave understatement due to a lack of testing and downplay by the government. Florida in particular doing as little as humanly possible to help.

A lot of places have very little trust in the Government and this is only making tensions rise. I can only hope it all works out.

Last edited by ZombieArmy; 03-23-2020 at 07:50 AM.
03-23-2020, 09:38 AM - 3 Likes   #542
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Meanwhile, it looks like South Korea has managed to contain the spread WITHOUT lock-downs (Coronavirus cases have dropped sharply in South Korea. What?s the secret to its success? | Science | AAAS). It shows the effectiveness of a modest rate of early intensive testing (enough for only 0.5% of the population), quickly tracing those exposed to anyone positive, and isolation/quarantines of just a tiny tiny fraction of population.

South Korea apparently learned to do this after a single MERs case from a citizen returning from a business trip infected 186 people and killed 36. Hint: banning icky foreigners from coming to your country doesn't help unless you ban or quarantine all returning citizens, too.

In theory, EVERY COUNTRY ON EARTH COULD HAVE AND SHOULD HAVE LEARNED FROM THIS EXAMPLE (and countless others in the sad, oft-repeated history of epidemics). But, no! I'm sure the epidemiologists were fully aware of these issues, but if leaders refuse to listen to experts then we end up with sky rocketing death rates and crushed economies.
03-23-2020, 10:06 AM - 2 Likes   #543
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You mean to tell us that testing (and containing the positives) *all* the people that come from an affected area regardless of nationality - as opposed to people in charge firmly planting their heads in... the sand - would work wonders?

Fascinating.
03-23-2020, 10:14 AM - 2 Likes   #544
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Decisions will continue to be made based on internal polling data.

03-23-2020, 10:24 AM   #545
Pentaxian

Well, my sister has a possible/probable infection going... Fever ~2 degrees F, bit of a dry cough, achy and generally crummy feeling. She is putting herself into isolation. Problem is that our mum (age 84) lives there too. They can pretty well separate themselves, but still... She is in good health, so keeping lots of fingers, toes, and eyes crossed for the next few weeks!
03-23-2020, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #546
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Well, my sister has a possible/probable infection going... Fever ~2 degrees F, bit of a dry cough, achy and generally crummy feeling. She is putting herself into isolation. Problem is that our mum (age 84) lives there too. They can pretty well separate themselves, but still... She is in good health, so keeping lots of fingers, toes, and eyes crossed for the next few weeks!
Best wishes to your mum & sis!!! My own mother (77) is on day 9 of her 2 week quarantine, and so far all is well.
03-23-2020, 12:47 PM   #547
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

the latest from Kansas [ I live in Topeka which is in Shawnee County ]

QuoteQuote:
TOPEKA — Gov. Laura Kelly said an executive order would be issued Monday to limit gatherings of people to no more than 10 people, down from the current cap of 50, in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

She said the situation in Kansas didn’t — at this time — necessitate a statewide order to stay at home. The limit on collective gatherings will be effective Tuesday.

“The crisis continues to evolve by the hour,” Kelly said. “We’ve all got to do our part.”

At least 82 Kansas residents and two out-of-state visitors have tested positive for the coronavirus, and two residents have died from the infection.more than 10 people, down from the current cap of 50, in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

She said the situation in Kansas didn’t — at this time — necessitate a statewide order to stay at home. The limit on collective gatherings will be effective Tuesday.

“The crisis continues to evolve by the hour,” Kelly said. “We’ve all got to do our part.”

At least 82 Kansas residents and two out-of-state visitors have tested positive for the coronavirus, and two residents have died from the infection.

Lee Norman, secretary of the Kansas Department of Health and Environment, said state officials anticipated the number of confirmed cases in Kansas would rise to 300 to 400 within 10 days.

He said Kansans must adhere strictly to public health advisories about keeping distance from other people, washing hands and coughing into a sleeve.

POSITIVE TESTS [ by County ]

Bourbon: 1, Butler: 3, Cherokee: 2, Douglas: 8, Franklin: 1, Jackson: 1, Johnson: 32, Leavenworth: 5., Linn: 2,Lyon: 2, Mitchell: 2, Morris: 2, Pottawatomie: 1, Reno: 2, Sedgwick: 2, Wyandotte: 16, Ford: 1 (out of state), Miami: 1 (out of state)

Meanwhile, an employee at the Leavenworth VA Medical Center has tested positive for COVID-19, and the hospital has implemented new restrictions in response to the threat of infection.

The agency said the risk of transmission to other patients and staff remains low, and the infected individual is collaborating with local health officials for monitoring. The VA now is restricting all non-patient visitors to Topeka and Leavenworth campuses, with a one-person exception for end-of-life situations.

Veterans who have symptoms of COVID-19 are asked to call before showing up at a VA hospital.

Residents in some of the state’s most populous areas are preparing for a month-long stay at home with orders that take effect Tuesday. The orders are in place for Douglas, Johnson, Wyandotte and Leavenworth counties. Other areas, including Shawnee and Riley counties, have closed bars and restaurants and banned gatherings of 10 or more in an effort to encourage social distancing.

Monday is also the first day in which state employees will stay at home for two weeks under the direction of Gov. Laura Kelly.

Essential workers are excluded from the home quarantines. . . .
Kansas coronavirus update: Gov. Laura Kelly limiting gatherings to 10; 82 confirmed cases - News - The Topeka Capital-Journal - Topeka, KS

03-23-2020, 12:54 PM - 3 Likes   #548
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Meanwhile, it looks like South Korea has managed to contain the spread WITHOUT lock-downs (Coronavirus cases have dropped sharply in South Korea. What?s the secret to its success? | Science | AAAS). It shows the effectiveness of a modest rate of early intensive testing (enough for only 0.5% of the population), quickly tracing those exposed to anyone positive, and isolation/quarantines of just a tiny tiny fraction of population.

South Korea apparently learned to do this after a single MERs case from a citizen returning from a business trip infected 186 people and killed 36. Hint: banning icky foreigners from coming to your country doesn't help unless you ban or quarantine all returning citizens, too.

In theory, EVERY COUNTRY ON EARTH COULD HAVE AND SHOULD HAVE LEARNED FROM THIS EXAMPLE (and countless others in the sad, oft-repeated history of epidemics). But, no! I'm sure the epidemiologists were fully aware of these issues, but if leaders refuse to listen to experts then we end up with sky rocketing death rates and crushed economies.
It is containable. Washington State was the epicenter of the United States COVID cases just a week to week and a half ago and they reported no new cases yesterday. That isn't to say that everything is perfect there, but it is a big change from the growth rate they were seeing with the virus earlier.

I do have a feeling that some of the Asian countries are a bit more compliant when told to "stay inside." There are a lot of individualistic Americans who aren't so willing to stay in if it means foregoing the things they want to do.
03-23-2020, 01:21 PM   #549
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It is official. South Africa is going into lockdown Thursday at midnight.

I will be working from home, so it will be business as usual for me. I will have the time usually spent commuting for other things.

We'll see how it goes. Safricans seems to take it all in their stride. We should see it through in relatively good shape, but there are some unknowns. Time will tell.
03-23-2020, 01:42 PM   #550
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It is containable. Washington State was the epicenter of the United States COVID cases just a week to week and a half ago and they reported no new cases yesterday. That isn't to say that everything is perfect there, but it is a big change from the growth rate they were seeing with the virus earlier.

I do have a feeling that some of the Asian countries are a bit more compliant when told to "stay inside." There are a lot of individualistic Americans who aren't so willing to stay in if it means foregoing the things they want to do.
As a Washingtonian, don't put a great deal of faith in having no new cases here yesterday. They only update the numbers once a day, and if they didn't get numbers sent up from each county Public Health Office, they won't be reflected on the state site.

Believe me, there is still a great big heap of concern here. My wife's a family practice doc, and from her level in the trenches the outlook is the same. Lots of people are staying home, but pretty good numbers are out and around too. We can only guess at the fraction doing essential stuff. Basically still keeping fingers crossed and hoping the state can get the logistical support it will need. The peak ain't here yet.
03-23-2020, 01:49 PM   #551

We've been on self imposed shelter in place for 10 days now. DW is a cancer patient on chemo, so immunity is in the tank. Dr. gave us strict orders to stay in, course that isn't much different then the past 3 months anyhow, as the flu has been rampant here this year. State went on lockdown last week, lots of mfg, closed, schools closed, only essential business open, no sit in restaurants or bars (take out only). Our cases are climbing but the rate appears slower then our neighbor states, and no deaths yet. Fingers crossed.
03-23-2020, 02:05 PM - 3 Likes   #552
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, that's it. Due to the actions of a subset of my fellow countrymen - their selfishness and ignorance in choosing to ignore what has been, until now, official advice and requests - we are now in enforced lockdown, with police given powers to arrest and penalise those who continue to ignore it (quote: "If you don't follow the rules, the police will have the power to enforce them"). As of this evening, we're allowed to leave our homes for the following reasons only:
- Shopping for basic necessities, as infrequently as possible
- One form of exercise a day - for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household
- Any medical need, to provide care or to help a vulnerable person
- Travelling to and from work, but only where this is absolutely necessary and cannot be done from home
Additionally, all shops selling non-essential goods (clothing, electronics, etc.) must close, along with organisations that bring people into close proximity with one another - libraries, gyms, etc. Places of worship are barred from holding congregational events and meetings, weddings, baptisms, etc. (but will be allowed to hold funeral services). No gatherings of more than two people unless it's members of your own household. Parks will remain open for exercise, but gatherings will be dispersed by the authorities. Schools already closed except to children of key workers (those in the health and social care services, Police, Fire etc.).

The official message is: "Stay at home, protect our NHS (National Health Service), and save lives".

I'm truly disappointed, yet not entirely surprised, that we've come to a stage where common sense has to be forced upon us all, because a subset of our population - idiots and selfish dolts, frankly - can think only of themselves and not of others. Worse still, they're unable to distinguish when official advice is actually for their own good. They seem to know better, apparently. Bloody fools. Now we're all grounded, like so many errant and rebellious children, because of the actions of a few. Well done.

For my Mum, Dad and I, this makes little or no difference, practically speaking, since the restrictions are no more than we'd already elected to follow well before now. Even so, I'm annoyed... disgusted, actually. What a world we live in...

---

EDIT: As of today, over a 24 hour period, our number of confirmed cases has risen by 967 to 6,650, and the number of fatalities by 54 to 335 (including an 18 year old with underlying conditions)... on a land-mass 1/40th the size of the United States, with a population of more than 67 million... Anyone still not taking this seriously really ought to, starting right now.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-23-2020 at 04:39 PM.
03-23-2020, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #553
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Well, that's it. . . . we are now in enforced lockdown, ..
here is the bright side

you folks can now participate in this thread if you want to

Silly Coronavirus "Self Isolation" Household images - Page 7 - PentaxForums.com
03-23-2020, 02:19 PM   #554
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
here is the bright side

you folks can now participate in this thread if you want to

Silly Coronavirus "Self Isolation" Household images - Page 7 - PentaxForums.com
I already did, early on, and will be doing so again...
03-23-2020, 02:20 PM   #555
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I already did, early on, and will be doing so again...
spread the word to the other PF members in the UK
Closed Thread