Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 4278 Likes Search this Thread
03-24-2020, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #661
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Those English city stats do better but without per capita is hard to make anything out of.
I refer you to the second line in my signature.

03-24-2020, 05:17 PM   #662
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I would love to see stats based on population clusters, density, and per capita. For instance NY state population has 43% in NY city. But it could be 95% of cases and tests are from that 43%. New Orleans is less than 25% of LA.
Those English city stats do better but without per capita is hard to make anything out of. If Leeds has 10% less cases than London, Leeds is much worse, etc.
I have those for my county: population density 1 person per 40 acres, tested positive 1 person, she was out of state and was fully recovered by the time she came home, deaths etc. obviously zero. Yet still the schools are shut down. Very frustrating for everyone. Kids have extra time off school, but they are not allowed to go out. Old farts with motorhomes (like me) have diesel down to $2.08 a gallon, but most camp grounds are closed down and we are being told to stay at home.
03-24-2020, 05:31 PM   #663
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
What do they think stops someone from leaving their phone at home and going out and about? Duh!
That's one of the more ridiculous approaches ever.
It's pretty sophisticated, Parallax, you install the app even if you don't have Covid-19:

Singapore is using a high-tech surveillance app to track the coronavirus, keeping schools and businesses open. Here's how it works. | Business Insider

If people in a particular country won't buy in (extreme libertarians) or the selfish (who deliberately leave a phone at home to avoid lockdown, but for anyone under the age of thirty they seem superglued to their phones) try to workaround it, it just demonstrates individualism being more valued than the community.

We can say that's a universal attitude, but Singapore shows it's not.
03-24-2020, 05:35 PM   #664
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I would love to see stats based on population clusters, density, and per capita. For instance NY state population has 43% in NY city. But it could be 95% of cases and tests are from that 43%. New Orleans is less than 25% of LA.
Those English city stats do better but without per capita is hard to make anything out of. If Leeds has 10% less cases than London, Leeds is much worse, etc.
I refer you to the second line in my signature.
I can't help with the additional breakdowns on numbers. I will repeat, though, the UK is about the size of a decent US state. The regions listed in the stats I gave are probably the geographic size of many US counties. As such, population clusters have - IMHO - little meaning here, since everywhere tends to merge into everywhere else (OK, maybe that's a slight exaggeration, but it's not far from the truth).

Perhaps the stats are less helpful than I thought. Numbers aside, the University of Cambridge has predicted that our hospital intensive care unit beds will be completely filled within 14 days due to critical coronavirus patients. So, at that point, additional folks that need these beds - whether they're infected by COVID-19 or not - won't receive the necessary treatment. So far as regional breakdown of that is concerned, unsurprisingly it's London that will run out of beds first...

03-24-2020, 05:38 PM   #665
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
I have those for my county: population density 1 person per 40 acres, tested positive 1 person, she was out of state and was fully recovered by the time she came home, deaths etc. obviously zero. Yet still the schools are shut down. Very frustrating for everyone. Kids have extra time off school, but they are not allowed to go out. Old farts with motorhomes (like me) have diesel down to $2.08 a gallon, but most camp grounds are closed down and we are being told to stay at home.
That must be extremely tough for you, given the circumstances...
03-24-2020, 05:58 PM - 5 Likes   #666
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
What do they think stops someone from leaving their phone at home and going out and about? Duh!
That's one of the more ridiculous approaches ever.
The masses these days are inextricably linked to those stoopit phons. Everywhere you go you see them. Walking. Sitting. Standing. Driving . . . . . . . (it causes my blood to nearly boil when I see idiots who can't put those darned things down long enough to safely operate a motor vehicle!!!)

Anyway, my point is, most people would require a surgical procedure to separate them from their mobile devices.

I'll shut up now.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 03-24-2020 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Proofreading is your friend!
03-24-2020, 06:26 PM   #667
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All take-out now closed. It's make your own food time in NZ. Not that that worries us, we don't eat a lot of take-aways.

03-24-2020, 06:40 PM   #668
Closed Account

Weddings here in Australia have been restricted to 5 people - bride, groom, 2 witnesses and celebrant/priest - and funerals restricted to 10 people.
03-24-2020, 08:10 PM - 4 Likes   #669
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I meant that of all the symptoms I have, only one is "common" for covid-19. Sure, it's still possible that it *is* the darn thing, but it's more probably a cold (since the new thing only attacks the lower respiratory tract).
I've been drinking copious amounts of tea and water to stay hydrated, and cuddled the cat against his (very grumpy) will, so all good so far
I think cats the world over are going to have weeks or even months of being annoyed by humans being around longer, lying on *their* couches.
03-24-2020, 08:32 PM - 1 Like   #670
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jack002 Quote
99% of Those Who Died From Virus Had Other Illness, Italy Says - Bloomberg

---------- Post added 03-20-20 at 08:14 PM ----------

It is just the flu! Its another strain, but in the US more have died to the regular flu than to this. Its not the plague
Umm no. It’s not just another flu strain.

---------- Post added Mar 24th, 2020 at 09:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It's rather more than that, with respect.

Preliminary studies estimate the R0 to be between 2 and 3 compared to influenza's 1.3, so its transmission rate is much higher - and we're not even close to getting it under control. The incubation, treatment (where necessary), recovery and viral shedding periods are longer. The mortality rate appears to be way higher - by how much is uncertain, but current estimates suggest it's at least ten times deadlier. We don't yet know the seasonal profile of the virus, so can't assume it will ease off in the summer months like flu. In fact, there are so many unknowns. And we have no vaccine.

It's not the plague, no... and thank goodness for that; but it's currently far more dangerous to us than influenza. Stating that the latter has killed more people, whilst factually correct at this early stage, paints an artificially rosy picture of a rapidly escalating situation
The deniers use the flu has killed more people talking point since it found its way into the world via ignorance and wishful thinking. It is a lie based on a nugget of truth.
To make it true, one must combine deaths from the flu over many years, perhaps decades.
Ask the people in Italy how many decades it took the flu to kill as many people as Covid-19.
03-24-2020, 10:18 PM - 1 Like   #671
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
One of my sisters, who is a medical professional here in the UK, has been ill with it but is improving. And my sister in New York has a daughter who has just tested positive, so she's assuming that she'll get it too. My sister over here (age 49) says it's a horrible thing to have even if you're not bad enough to end up in hospital: constant coughing and painful breathing, severe joint pain, exhaustion. She says even her skin hurts. Meanwhile my niece in NY (age mid twenties) hasn't suffered anything more so far than a complete loss of her sense of taste and smell.

I know that's only a sample of two, but it sort of ties in with the evidence that the older you are the worse it is.
Hi Dave, sorry to hear that you have personal experience with this virus. My fingers, toes, legs and eyes are all crossed for a speedy recovery for your family.
03-24-2020, 10:45 PM   #672
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Umm no. It’s not just another flu strain.

---------- Post added Mar 24th, 2020 at 09:39 PM ----------

The deniers use the flu has killed more people talking point since it found its way into the world via ignorance and wishful thinking. It is a lie based on a nugget of truth.
To make it true, one must combine deaths from the flu over many years, perhaps decades.
Ask the people in Italy how many decades it took the flu to kill as many people as Covid-19.
That is just not true. Check out the CDC website, do not take my word for it...2019/2020 flu season for USA 23,000 to 59,000 deaths, 38 to 54 million illnesses 390,000 to 710,000 hospital visits. What exactly am I denying?
03-24-2020, 10:47 PM - 9 Likes   #673
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I venture out, I have seen more people wearing masks and carrying toilet paper out in the streets than ever before.

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I think cats the world over are going to have weeks or even months of being annoyed by humans being around longer, lying on *their* couches.
Not this one, she is quite happy in her box.

03-24-2020, 10:59 PM - 1 Like   #674
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Mmm, whisky. So much time, so few choices....
I'll be right over.....

Umm... have Sth Aust closed the border??
03-24-2020, 11:01 PM - 1 Like   #675
Veteran Member

A bet each way with ones health.... wear mask and eat coco pops.
Closed Thread