Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2020, 03:19 AM   #691
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
. . . Someone mentioned testing and testing is coming on line in a more major way (as illustrated in the Politico link I posted earlier). So far the US has tested 370,000 people, but the rate of increase in testing is quite a bit, particularly in states like New York where they have done nearly 100,000 tests. I still think that chances are pretty good that things get a lot worse before they get better -- here and elsewhere.
" just the facts, ma'am "

QuoteQuote:
As of summer 2019, the population of the United States is approximately 330 million. This population is distributed unevenly across 50 states. Generally, states that are around the country’s border – West Coast, East Coast, and southern states – are the most populous. States that are more interior, such as those in the Great Plains and Midwest, tend to be less populous. However, there are some exceptions, such as Illinois, which is in the Midwest but has a high population, mainly centered in the Chicago area. . . .
QuoteQuote:
What are the most populated states in the United States? Here is a list of the top ten most populated states in the country:

California (Population: 39,747,267)
Texas (Population: 29,087,070)
Florida (Population: 21,646,155)
New York (Population: 19,491,339)
Pennsylvania (Population: 12,813,969)
Illinois (Population: 12,700,381)
Ohio (Population: 11,718,568)
Georgia (Population: 10,627,767)
North Carolina (Population: 10,497,741)
Michigan (Population: 10,020,472)
https://worldpopulationreview.com/states/

without testing there is no detection of those among us who may not have symptoms but still can transmit the infection

03-25-2020, 03:26 AM   #692
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
" just the facts, ma'am "

https://worldpopulationreview.com/states/

without testing there is no detection of those among us who may not have symptoms but still can transmit the infection
I think the goal right now is to test symptomatic people, health care workers, and people with known contact with COVID positive individuals. That's a good start.

I posted this link earlier, but I will post again: Coronavirus by State Map | Testing in the U.S. | Chart of New Cases It does show a significant ramping up of testing capability. New York has tested 70,000 new people since last week, many other states are tracking up as well. At the rate of testing we will certainly be at a couple of million people tested by next week.

Is that enough in a country of 350 million? Probably not, but it is a start and will give us at least a better feel for how prevalent the disease is in various states (you can already get a feel for that by looking at the graphs).
03-25-2020, 03:26 AM - 1 Like   #693
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
That is just not true. Check out the CDC website, do not take my word for it...2019/2020 flu season for USA 23,000 to 59,000 deaths, 38 to 54 million illnesses 390,000 to 710,000 hospital visits. What exactly am I denying?
Reality.

---------- Post added Mar 25th, 2020 at 04:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The problem is, some people are comparing the end-of-season totals of flu infections, deaths and hospital visits to those of the rapidly spreading, not yet peaking, COVID-19 and concluding that flu is worse. But flu viruses are mostly well understood, quite well controlled through vaccination, and have a much lower rate of spread, putting far less strain on health services. COVID-19 is far worse because its not well understood, there's no vaccine, and it spreads at a much higher rate. Furthermore, COVID-19 can have an unusually long incubation period, during which the carrier may be more-or-less symptom free but is capable of spreading the disease due to viral shedding. Then, only a small percentage of those showing symptoms of potential infection are actually being tested; the rest are merely being advised to self-isolate. As such, we can be quite certain that the number of people currently infected is much higher than reported, and the number requiring hospital treatment is very soon going to outstrip availability of intensive care hospital beds and possibly qualified staff.

I'm sure you already know and understand all of this, but it's clear that some folks don't, they're not taking enough precautions or listening to official advice as a result, and therefore they're part of the problem, putting themselves and others at risk. They may be infecting and, ultimately, killing people without knowing it.

The above isn't a scary story - it's what we know from the experiences of China, Italy and now the rest of Europe. The US is starting to experience rapid spread too. It may not look too bad right now, but at the daily rate of spread, hospitalisation and deaths, the potential impact looking ahead, say, 14 - 28 days is shocking
The latest projections I just saw figure that there will be as many as 225 million Americans infected with as many as 2.25 to 5 million deaths.
In Canada where I live, both the infection rate and mortality rate up here to be projected as lower, with 15 million infections and 3000 to 5,000 deaths.
To me that sounds way worse for the seasonal flu but what do I know?
03-25-2020, 03:34 AM - 1 Like   #694
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the goal right now is to test symptomatic people, health care workers, and people with known contact with COVID positive individuals. . . .
yes what you describe is a good start

but the credible evidence is that even that is not being done

there are credible reports of those who are rich and powerful or somehow connected to those who are in that group getting easy access to testing

while health care workers known to have been exposed to known individuals with the infection not being able to access testing at all

told to leave and self isolate for a minimum of 14 days

thus increasing the problems of our health care systems

and patients suspected of having the illness being not tested but the health care professionals are told to treat them as if the suspicions have been confirmed

03-25-2020, 03:41 AM - 2 Likes   #695
Veteran Member

I'm reminded of the exchange between Mayor Larry Vaughn, Hooper and Brody in Jaws:

Mike, believe me or not I was thinking of this exchange last week, probably because I am a Jaws fanatic and know every line and also the evident shocking parallel to some behaviour out there towards the pandemic.
03-25-2020, 04:00 AM   #696
Closed Account

Just saw on a news feed channel in Australia that Prince Charles has tested positive for the virus.
03-25-2020, 04:02 AM - 3 Likes   #697
Pentaxian

Looking at the completely empty beer,wine and spirit shelves in my local supermarket it looks like any survivors of the virus will die if liver failure;(

03-25-2020, 04:04 AM   #698
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Just saw on a news feed channel in Australia that Prince Charles has tested positive for the virus.
Indeed. The concerns there are several... His own health, but that of The Queen and Prince Philip (the latter being increasingly frail of late), and the Duchess of Cornwall. They'll all get the very best treatment, of course, but they're in the higher risk group due to age...
03-25-2020, 04:07 AM   #699
Closed Account

His own health, but that of The Queen and Prince Philip
Hey Mike, the same news feed stated that Prince Charles's last personal contact with the Queen was March 9.

EDIT - They have now updated that to March 12.

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 03-25-2020 at 04:13 AM.
03-25-2020, 04:16 AM - 1 Like   #700
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Report I saw said Camilla tested negative
03-25-2020, 04:20 AM   #701
Closed Account

Report I saw said Camilla tested negative
Same here, but considering their relationship, I feel that this will change soon unfortunately.
03-25-2020, 04:26 AM - 2 Likes   #702
Pentaxian

You can be assured the standard of care they receive will far exceed the UK average (and that’s all I’m saying on THAT subject)

Last edited by timb64; 03-25-2020 at 04:39 AM.
03-25-2020, 04:46 AM   #703
Pentaxian

Just did some research.
Influenza RO values.
1918 1.8
1957 1.66
2004. 1.46

Covid-19 2.28

Hospitalizations
2017-18 Influenza about 1.8% *
Covid-19 about 20%.

Those 2 points should tell you this is not your average flu.

* about 810 thousand out of 45 million cases.

Last edited by swanlefitte; 03-25-2020 at 06:53 AM.
03-25-2020, 05:20 AM   #704
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

yes what you describe is a good start

but the credible evidence is that even that is not being done

there are credible reports of those who are rich and powerful or somehow connected to those who are in that group getting easy access to testing

while health care workers known to have been exposed to known individuals with the infection not being able to access testing at all

told to leave and self isolate for a minimum of 14 days

thus increasing the problems of our health care systems

and patients suspected of having the illness being not tested but the health care professionals are told to treat them as if the suspicions have been confirmed
I think that may have been true last week, but we are moving in a different direction. If we hit a million people tested by the middle of next week, surely not all of them are rich and powerful?

I do think people in government have been tested pretty early, but they are people who have a need to meet together and hopefully not spread it among a group of really old politicians. Regardless, testing isn't available for "anyone who wants it," but it should be coming on line. To meet Korea's level of testing we need to test 1/200 Americans, which would be about 1.5 million tests. We are about 1/3 of the way there right now.
03-25-2020, 05:22 AM - 3 Likes   #705
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I think that may have been true last week, but we are moving in a different direction. If we hit a million people tested by the middle of next week, surely not all of them are rich and powerful?

I do think people in government have been tested pretty early, but they are people who have a need to meet together and hopefully not spread it among a group of really old politicians. Regardless, testing isn't available for "anyone who wants it," but it should be coming on line. To meet Korea's level of testing we need to test 1/200 Americans, which would be about 1.5 million tests. We are about 1/3 of the way there right now.
the NBA teams who have been tested, the actors who have been tested are the tip of the iceberg

as opposed to the health care professionals and patients who aren't

' should be coming on line ' yes it should but it isn't

" the check is in the mail "

" Christmas is coming "

too

QuoteQuote:
Need a Coronavirus Test? Being Rich and Famous May Help
A shortage in testing has left sick people and health care workers around the U.S. without answers. Yet the list of celebrity patients grows every day, raising questions about privileged access.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/18/us/coronavirus-testing-elite.html

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-25-2020 at 05:28 AM.
Closed Thread