Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 4278 Likes Search this Thread
03-26-2020, 05:19 PM   #826
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Anybody who gives any credence to anything posted on Facebook, Twitter, et al, has a very loose association with reality.
I just thought the video was funny. I could tell the first pass through that the video of the woman was not shot at the same time or place as that of the child.

The other video is quite funny too, so I figured I try and redouble my effort to add some levity to the discussion.

Is Pierre limiting activities right now?

03-26-2020, 05:35 PM - 2 Likes   #827
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Is Pierre limiting activities right now?
Most restaurants are drive-thru only. some won't accept cash. We just told Papa Murphy's to go to hell. We had a Digiorno instead.
Just as good and 1/3 the price.
03-26-2020, 05:53 PM - 3 Likes   #828
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I will endeavor to continue my present drinking habit without change. Unless the stores close.
And I intend to do the same..

03-26-2020, 05:54 PM - 4 Likes   #829
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
All this fuss about testing.

Pfftt!!!!!

If I test for the virus today, it will take some time before the results are known, right?

So I could be virus free today, and then be exposed between now and then, yet be given a pass as not infected.

Too much emphasis on details and minutiae.

Here is what it is.

Just eat right, exercise, stay isolated, wash your hands, and cruise internet discussion groups and try to feel close to people rather than isolated from them.

By the way.

Mrs. Racer 2.0 and I ventured out today to do the "we're old people and the stores have to let is in early, and keep those young whippersnappers the Hell away from us!" bit.

I felt special.

The streets were deserted.

I really wish I would have taken my real camera.

I did shoot a couple of quickies with the iPod, one I think y'all already seen.

Mrs. Racer 2.0 spent $400 at Costco, and another $225 at MalWart. We then stopped at Bry's, a local, family owned (3 generations) furniture/stereo/hometheater/car audio store. I chatted with the current owner, one of the youngest sons with whom I have made many car and home audio and furniture purchases with over the last 40 years or so, about some issues with my Integra DTR 7.1 receiver. I bought the unit from him about 10 years ago, and recently it has been emitting odd noises, first from the subwoofer, then from the other speakers. It sounded similar to the noises an MRI machine makes, but after a few system resets it changed to a sizzling and popping noise for the first few minutes.

Ended up walking out with a newer model, an Integra DTR 30.7 (trade in), and a Wadia 170iTransport interface dock for iPod.

I didn't spend as much as Mrs. Racer.

Stopped and picked up a couple pizzas from Sahara Pizza, the best pizza anywhere (and had a pleasant surprise when they said 2 fer 1 today!), came home, put groceries away, ate pizza, and now I getting ready to hook up my new gear, and listen to some music.

One more thing.

The Bionic Beaver strikes again!

03-26-2020, 05:56 PM   #830
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Ok, then if you are saying that a 5 million person metro area is capable of testing 140,000 by March 5th (Singapore), then why couldn't all of the 5 million person metro areas in the US have tested 140,000 by March 5th? That would cover NYC, LA, Chicago, Dallas-Ft Worth, Houston, Washington DC, Miami, Philadelphia, and Atlanta.

Sure, the US is big, but air freight can get anything anywhere overnight and LA to NYC via truck can be done in under 48 hours. The US is big, but not that big when it comes to modern logistics and most of the population is concentrated in the cities. Country size was relevant when all we had was horse draw wagons but these days anything can be delivered anywhere in under two days if it's important. (As of March 19th, Russia beat the US in testing and Russia is 70% larger that the US and has 1/5th the GDP per capita of the US.)
My point is that the US did NOT test anywhere near what Singapore and South Korea DID. Complaining about what could have happened in the past is a total waste of time.

As for logistics: (note: the article is from the Seattle Times and they really do not like adblockers)
https://www.seattletimes.com/business/local-business/microsoft-push-brings-m...navirus-fight/

Relevant quotes:

2nd Paragraph emphasis mine
"Smith already had spent the prior week helping his overseas teams negotiate the release of 240,000 desperately needed N-95 surgical masks from an undisclosed foreign government so they could be shipped to the United States in anticipation of an onslaught of hospitalizations caused by the novel coronavirus pandemic. But after subsequently being flown overseas by Federal Express to a distribution center in Memphis, the masks sat untouched for 48 hours awaiting a Food and Drug Administration (FDA) inspector to arrive and sign them onward."
4th Paragraph emphais mine:
“The FDA was short-handed, and so those (masks) were stuck in Memphis from last Thursday to Saturday,’’ said Smith, adding it was already 8 p.m. ET when he phoned Washington, D.C. “I actually reached out directly to the White House staff — specifically, people who work for the National Security Council … and they were able to scramble the FDA and get everything released by first thing Sunday morning.’’

So much for your swift Logistics eh? Again, the US is far behind on testing and even when large well financed corporations and their leaders try to help, it takes a personal call to the White House to get anything done. And yes size matters.

To extrapolate the actions from an island nation that sitting in 27 square miles where the government rounded people up for testing, forced the people to put trackers on their phones and when "carriers"/infected people were found - they went into their bank accounts so determine where they bought things to the current state in the US is laughable. The virus does not give a hoot about GDP, that is false logic. Logistic waving of the hand is false logic.

My argument is not about what HAPPEND but what is HAPPENING. By the way, our GDP has more than likely fallen like a rock over the last two weeks.
03-26-2020, 05:59 PM   #831
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I've resolutely avoided joining any social media platforms... Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, WhatsApp, etc. I realise there's some valuable and responsible use of them, but all I see everywhere is narcissism and virtue-signalling.

Case in point...

Here in the UK, a social media plan was hatched - and went viral - a couple of days ago for folks to stand outside their homes tonight at 8pm and clap their hands, applauding the NHS (our National Health Service) and - primarily - its staff for the great work they're doing in this crisis. Now, for the record, I am humbled and grateful beyond belief for their service... not just in this situation, but every day of every year that I've lived. But a couple of things bug me about this social media driven activity. Firstly, most of the front-line NHS staff will either be at work, dealing with all manner of trials and tribulations, or they'll be enjoying a tiny amount of free time indoors with their families, or catching a few hours' much-needed sleep before the onslaught begins again tomorrow. The way I see it, the only folks who'll hear the clapping are people that are outside clapping. Then, after that, there'll be all sorts of social media posts and selfies from folks who took part, were "there", were part of the event, etc. This is a social media event for social media users. It's narcissistic virtue-signalling, and has more to do with that than anything to help the wonderful staff in our NHS. It's the same with today's "candle-lit vigils" whenever a dreadful event happens... People flock from all around to be part of them, then post photos and dreadfully trite, pseudo-insightful messages on social media. I can't abide it, I really can't...

If any of our members are from the NHS, or indeed any other public sector service in the UK or any other country, that's under pressure from this current crisis, I offer a huge and entirely non-virtue-signalling, non-narcissistic, THANK YOU!
Virtue-signalling is a contrived term, meant to belittle any declarative action by someone you dislike or disagree with. (Not to be taken personally)

Narcissistic behaviour, on the other hand, is a personality disorder, manifest as the conscious and unconscious behaviour of someone who has little to no empathy with others. (Again, not to be taken personally)

I'm sure those NHS staff will get to see the applause at some point. Nonetheless, if people had previously put their money where their hands are directed to now, there'd have been less need for it.
03-26-2020, 06:02 PM - 2 Likes   #832
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hi Pentaxiani, greetings from Italy. You wrote enough after the first post. You're a couple of weeks behind Italy, I'm sorry that at the beginning of the topic it was underestimated. I have been at home for three weeks now, more or less all the nations are taking the usual measures. Personally for a while I have passed the phase of the disease, how many tests, how many deaths, mortality rate, lethality, etc. Slowly, even those who still think of a normal influence and only time will get there. The real problem will be how long we can last. The dead will be many, but when one is hungry, even if injured, he will want to eat. And if many people are hungry, the problem is very serious. Good continuation and good luck to all. Until next time

03-26-2020, 06:50 PM - 3 Likes   #833
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

thinking_Beard
03-26-2020, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #834
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
:thinking_Beard:
He's being cryptic. It's the name of the latest long term support version of Ubuntu.

Now, if you hung out in the most enlightened thread on the forum, you would know these things too.
03-26-2020, 07:39 PM - 5 Likes   #835
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
He's being cryptic. It's the name of the latest long term support version of Ubuntu.
03-27-2020, 01:15 AM - 1 Like   #836
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Virtue-signalling is a contrived term, meant to belittle any declarative action by someone you dislike or disagree with. (Not to be taken personally)
I use the term - perhaps incorrectly - based on the following definition:
"Virtue signalling is a pejorative neologism for the conspicuous expression of moral values
Narcissistic behaviour, on the other hand, is a personality disorder, manifest as the conscious and unconscious behaviour of someone who has little to no empathy with others. (Again, not to be taken personally)
My understanding of narcissism - again, perhaps incorrect - is the following:
"Narcissism is the pursuit of gratification from vanity or egotistic admiration of one's idealised self image and attributes"

Whatever the correct use of the terms is, the definitions above are the behaviours I was referring to.

I'm sure those NHS staff will get to see the applause at some point. Nonetheless, if people had previously put their money where their hands are directed to now, there'd have been less need for it.
They'll get to see it, alright. It's already splashed across mainstream and social media, and it's been used as a photo opportunity for politicians and A-through-Z-list celebrities alike. It's right and proper that folks show appreciation. It's the self-promotion aspect I find so distasteful. Still, no-one's forcing me to take part...
03-27-2020, 01:18 AM   #837
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use the term - perhaps incorrectly - based on the following definition:
"Virtue signalling is a pejorative neologism for the conspicuous expression of moral values

My understanding of narcissism - again, perhaps incorrect - is the following:
"Narcissism is the pursuit of gratification from vanity or egotistic admiration of one's idealised self image and attributes"

Whatever the correct use of the terms is, the definitions above are the behaviours I was referring to.

They'll get to see it, alright. It's already splashed across mainstream and social media, it's been used as a photo opportunity for politicians, celebrities, etc. I like that folks show appreciation. It's the self-promotion aspect I find distasteful. Still, no-one's forcing me to take part...
Our understandings aren’t a million miles apart. In particular, it’s the way people use “virtue-signalling” to denigrate others with whom they disagree that really irks me. I thought I made it clear that I wan’t referring to your use of it.

Last edited by RobA_Oz; 03-27-2020 at 01:32 AM.
03-27-2020, 02:23 AM - 1 Like   #838
Pentaxian

Our understandings aren’t a million miles apart. In particular, it’s the way people use “virtue-signalling” to denigrate others with whom they disagree that really irks me. I thought I made it clear that I wan’t referring to your use of it.

I normally use the term "virtue signalling" about people who I agree with in principal, but who are "talking the talk, not walking the walk". People who make all the right noises and love to be seen as being committed to making a better world but who do almost nothing practical to achieve that goal, while others just quietly get on with doing it.

I'll shut up now, because I'm starting to sound like I'm virtue signalling.
03-27-2020, 02:55 AM   #839
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I didn't take it personally, Rob - I was quite interested in our different (albeit not entirely so) understanding of the terms
03-27-2020, 03:07 AM   #840
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nonpigliounoshoot Quote
Hi Pentaxiani, greetings from Italy. You wrote enough after the first post. You're a couple of weeks behind Italy, I'm sorry that at the beginning of the topic it was underestimated.
With respect, you write as if your original post was insightful wisdom and that those responding in the thread unanimously underestimated the gravity of the situation. That's not the case. I've seen a variety of responses here, mostly common sense in line with the progression of the virus and information available in each respective country. As I stated in a much earlier reply:

But as I already said, we can't change what our countries' official channels are doing (again, let's not get into politics ). It's really not worth getting wound up over that, as it's completely out of our hands. What we can do, as individuals and families, is take some sensible precautions, make some reasonable preparations (thinking not just of ourselves but others too), and carry on with enjoying life as best we can in the circumstances. If enough of us do that, it might reduce or slow the spread and death toll. If enough don't, it probably won't - but at least individually we can know we did our bit, and put the majority of our energies into being as happy as possible despite the unfortunate circumstances.

As the great Warren Zevon said to David Letterman shortly before his untimely death, "Enjoy every sandwich" Very wise words...
I stand by that, and continue to act in line with (actually, in advance and excess of) my government's official directions and recommendations. That's all any of us can do, but we should all be doing it.

I have been at home for three weeks now, more or less all the nations are taking the usual measures. Personally for a while I have passed the phase of the disease, how many tests, how many deaths, mortality rate, lethality, etc. Slowly, even those who still think of a normal influence and only time will get there. The real problem will be how long we can last. The dead will be many, but when one is hungry, even if injured, he will want to eat. And if many people are hungry, the problem is very serious. Good continuation and good luck to all. Until next time
It's a very serious and grave situation, no doubt. We should all treat it as such, take every possible precaution for ourselves and others, but... beyond that... stay positive and "Enjoy every sandwich".

Stay safe.

'Til next time!

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-27-2020 at 03:22 AM.
Closed Thread