Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2020, 07:10 PM   #856
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Global confirmed cases of CoViD-19 are edging closer to the 600,000 mark. The thing that surprises me is how widespread it is, and in some of the odd places it is cropping up: Madagascar, Maldives and French Polynesia.

<edit> My data is from THIS source.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-27-2020 at 07:21 PM.
03-27-2020, 07:15 PM   #857
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Global confirmed cases of CoViD-19 are edging closer to the 600,000 mark. The thing that surprises me is how widespread it is, and in some of the odd places it is cropping up: Madagascar, Maldives and French Polynesia.
QuoteQuote:
Global Map
As of 12:00 p.m. ET March 27, 2020

Locations with Confirmed COVID-19 Cases, by WHO Region
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/world-map.html
03-27-2020, 07:15 PM - 2 Likes   #858
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Some of our TV presenters are doing their own make-up, whilst others are doing their spots from home over the internet. Studio crews have been cut to minimum.

Some of our daytime TV shows aren't broadcasting live now, and have resorted to re-runs of earlier episodes...
I've been getting reaquainted with my vinyl and cd collection.

For all I know the rest of the world has ceased to exist.

Haven't even heard an airplane fly over for a few days, commercial or private.
03-27-2020, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #859
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I've been getting reaquainted with my vinyl and cd collection.
Wow Racer, I didn't realize some parts of the world had gone back to the " stone age " .........................................................enjoy mate.

03-27-2020, 07:39 PM - 1 Like   #860
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Wow Racer, I didn't realize some parts of the world had gone back to the " stone age " .........................................................enjoy mate.
I have about 150 albums or so, and several hundred compact discs.

Not a large collection by any stretch. A guy on a record forum shared pictures of his collections recently. He has several thousand vinyl albums, and many more cd's.
03-27-2020, 07:57 PM - 1 Like   #861
Pentaxian

The advisory commercials, TV spots, posters and cards do little.

I've observed in my area (Wisconsin, USA) that there is very little adherence to social distancing, limiting the size of groups, non-essential business closure, or any of the other preventative measures that our governor has ordered and enacted into law.

There must be vigorous enforcement of these controls. Without penalties for violations, the number of deaths will continue to grow unchecked.

I'm all for martial law - enforcement at the point of a bayonet. That's the only thing that the masses of undisciplined young Americans will heed.

In a town near where I live, they had the first case of confirmed virus announced today. It was a 20-year old who returned from a spring break trip to the beaches of Florida. God only knows how many others in his community that he infected after returning home. Florida refused to clear their beaches during spring break these last few weeks, knowing full well that thousands of young adults would likely be exposed to this new virus.

With a November election coming up in the USA, I believe that most USA politicians are loath to take too strong a position on clamping down on unacceptable behavior for fear of loosing precious votes.

This is not a "political" post, as I'm lambasting all politicians in both parties here in the USA.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 03-27-2020 at 08:14 PM.
03-27-2020, 08:03 PM - 9 Likes   #862
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I'm all for martial law - enforcement at the point of a bayonet. That's the only thing that the masses of undisciplined young Americans will heed.
Otis and his minions are standing at the ready.

03-27-2020, 08:44 PM   #863
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I am not big fan dictators style control country
But now I only want national curfew here in US now .Mostly people take social distances and do as well ,I look. Around my state
But not everywhere. I not sure how open people mind to understand NOBODY safe.
I just back from my 16 hr shift from hospital . After almost 40 y work on the medical field I saw a lot ,but not epidemic look this My mind not understand how this restriction protocol not equal for all country .who care you have few case viruses or hundred . Rule number one out from street stay at home .When People open own mind from I don’t care I want do what I want to do To some personal responsibility
We will be paid. Huge price
03-28-2020, 01:47 AM - 1 Like   #864
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
It's going to get a lot worse before it gets better. Especially in Africa and other places with inadequate healthcare systems.
Will be brutal. Can't isolate with ten people living in the same house - including grandpa and grandma, big populations, few ICUs per head of population, lack of sanitizer … what will happen eventually to places like Lagos, Addis Ababa and Jberg? Or in the slums of Buenos Aires or Rio?
03-28-2020, 02:03 AM - 1 Like   #865
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote

There must be vigorous enforcement of these controls. Without penalties for violations, the number of deaths will continue to grow unchecked.

I don't know how it is in the USA*, but in this particular German city it's the old people with a deathwish who ignore the rules. The last times I went running I saw young people following the rules (running alone, people doing sports are allowed outside) and a bunch of small groups of elderly just casually strolling and chatting.

*I am absolutely not surprised that a certain subset of the USA has problems coming to grips with the reality of "I can't do everything I want", although I'm gonna bet it is not exactly age related. There was a post on Reddit a week ago with tens of thousands of comments of young people angry at their parents, because said parents insisted that it was a flu and they were going to do whatever.

---------- Post added 03-28-20 at 02:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Will be brutal. Can't isolate with ten people living in the same house - including grandpa and grandma, big populations, few ICUs per head of population, lack of sanitizer … what will happen eventually to places like Lagos, Addis Ababa and Jberg? Or in the slums of Buenos Aires or Rio?
We are not talking about the less developed world, as usual, and they are going to be hit ridiculously hard... as usual

The drug cartels in... Sao Paulo (or Rio?) released a statement last week saying that they would enforce a curfew in several favelas, saying "if the government doesn't get it together, organized crime will fix it".
03-28-2020, 02:16 AM   #866
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I don't know how it is in the USA*, but in this particular German city it's the old people with a deathwish who ignore the rules. The last times I went running I saw young people following the rules (running alone, people doing sports are allowed outside) and a bunch of small groups of elderly just casually strolling and chatting.

*I am absolutely not surprised that a certain subset of the USA has problems coming to grips with the reality of "I can't do everything I want", although I'm gonna bet it is not exactly age related. There was a post on Reddit a week ago with tens of thousands of comments of young people angry at their parents, because said parents insisted that it was a flu and they were going to do whatever.
Here in the UK, casual observation would suggest that some folks in all age-groups - teenage to elderly - have been flouting the official advice. The situation has definitely improved in recent days, with those who were ignorant - or in denial - of the risks now better educated and practising social distancing and self-isolation more rigorously. Sadly, education doesn't address those acting out of selfishness... but they seem to be a relatively small minority.
03-28-2020, 02:37 AM   #867
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote

<edit> My data is from THIS source.
Unfortunately, I am guessing that testing in most poorer countries is limited meaning that we don't have any idea about the scope of things. The US has run roughly 700,000 tests, but I don't imagine most poorer countries can nearly that many. I question too, the numbers out of Iran. Indications are that it was far more severe with a very high body count, but we just don't have real data. People died without testing and were buried quickly and that was that. The same will be true in other parts of the world.

The bigger thing was that we had hoped that warm weather would spell a slow down of the virus in the Northern Hemisphere, but by all indications, it seems to spread regardless of the temperature and humidity.

People in rural areas are probably going to be least affected -- that is places where population density is really low -- but it also wouldn't take much of an outbreak in rural Idaho or Wyoming to outstrip the medical resources that are available to the people who live there.
03-28-2020, 02:56 AM   #868
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

in my limited excursions from my home, i have seen a lot of social distancing and engaged in it as well

now admittedly I do live in a smaller city, about 124,000, with a smaller density

on the street or parks, people might wave but most ignore you.

at stores, I tend to wait and let others go before me

the grocery cart makes a nice barrier

you can no longer bring in your own reusable bags

at the check out, if you can't or don't choose self check, there are marked spaces on the floor where you are suppose to wait for the person ahead of you to conduct their business first

latest info for the county, 7 infected, one of those not in hospital, no known deaths, 31 under investigation or awaiting test results 266 negative tests and 124 people being monitored

Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS
QuoteQuote:
“Some are fighting for their lives,” said county health officer Gianfranco Pezzino
https://www.cjonline.com/news/20200327/shawnee-county-covid-19-case-total-re...eir-livesrsquo

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
. . . .People in rural areas are probably going to be least affected -- that is places where population density is really low -- but it also wouldn't take much of an outbreak in rural Idaho or Wyoming to outstrip the medical resources that are available to the people who live there.
it is my belief the rate of infection starting will be lower in the rural areas but once it hits, I fear you are 100 % correct, the available medical personal, equipment and bed space will quickly be overcome and if those who are sick and able to be transported will add to the situation in the nearby better equipped communities

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-28-2020 at 03:08 AM.
03-28-2020, 03:04 AM   #869
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The harm has been done. Spring break is over and the virus has been brought back to various communities.

The thing I would say is that in smaller communities with fewer cases there needs to be identification of people with known virus and contact of their contacts to let them know to quarantine as well. If people traveled out of state they should quarantine for two weeks on returning. This is what I am seeing that isn't happening. I know several families that went to Myrtle Beach a week and a half ago and some of them are getting sick. They had continued to go to work on returning as though everything was normal. That sort of behavior is problematic, even if they didn't get closer than six feet to someone in a store.

As far as the rural communities, if they do nothing they will still get viral infections, the rate of doubling though won't be nearly as fast as in NYC where it is doubling every three to four days. Honestly, very urbanized areas are more similar to a cruise ship situation than we realize.
03-28-2020, 03:06 AM - 1 Like   #870
Pentaxian

Does anyone happen to know how many individuals without an underlying health condition have died as a direct result of this virus ? I have only heard of one in the UK so far, although I am not following news updates with any regularity.

In the meantime, I too am in the Stone Age - cataloguing my vinyl LPs, audio cassettes and 78 rpm shellac discs (Elvis on blue HMV, anyone ?).

BTW, I am 70, have COPD - and still am at a higher risk of a lightning strike than anything else !

Last edited by 35mmfilmfan; 03-28-2020 at 03:08 AM. Reason: AddInfo
Closed Thread