Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2020, 07:55 AM - 3 Likes   #886
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Especially in America.
Yep. Everyone knows that every problem that exists in the world is Americas's fault.

03-28-2020, 07:57 AM   #887
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Yep. Everyone knows that every problem that exists in the world is Americas's fault.
That's not what I'm saying at all. But just look at the rate it's going up there compared to other places...
03-28-2020, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #888
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I was going to say *exponential* has too many syllables in it. I think you were aiming too high when to took aim at lacking arithmetic.
Completely different discussion, but I'm not at all that impressed with secondary education in North America, compared to Europe for example.
Here in Canada, for example, they introduce Calculus as a really high level elective in the last grade, and talk about it being this mystical thing that only complete geniuses understand. Which it simply isn't.
03-28-2020, 08:02 AM   #889
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Lack of basic maths understanding.
Exactly. We obviously have to do drastic changes in how we teach maths. If people can get through 12 years of basic education and even a university degree on top of that without understanding basic maths... Why even bother trying.

(And from what I see this is not contained to our friends in the US of A.)

03-28-2020, 08:09 AM   #890
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I wish more people could get this into their heads.

I'm still baffled by the number of people who're seemingly unable to grasp "exponential growth".

Edit:
This graph from worldometer should be clear enough, shouldn't it?
not exactly your standard bell curve yet is it
03-28-2020, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #891
Veteran Member

Exactly. We obviously have to do drastic changes in how we teach maths. If people can get through 12 years of basic education and even a university degree on top of that without understanding basic maths... Why even bother trying.

(And from what I see this is not contained to our friends in the US of A.)
There was a recent curriculum change here in British Columbia, which I thankfully graduated before it was fully implemented, and within it, they changed the maths standardised testing (got rid of it...) and replaced it with a 'numeracy' test, which looking through practice booklets is more common sense than even basic maths. The Ministry of Education states that they want everyone to graduate with a very basic grade nine level of maths (which here is not much more than addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and very basic exponents). I had to laugh when they wrote a public letter stating that "BC has a world-leading education system"...

Anyways back on topic...

How did your daughter-in-law handle the virus, if I may ask?
03-28-2020, 08:13 AM   #892
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

That's not what I'm saying at all. But just look at the rate it's going up there compared to other places...
wouldn't that be thrown off by different factors

population of the area you are comparing

density of that population

date of first infection noted

there may be others

I am certainly no expert at this or any other matter and I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn Express tm last night

03-28-2020, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #893
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
What a bunch of Eeyores. All y'all are harshing my buzz with all this negative sickness talk

03-28-2020, 08:15 AM   #894
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . Anyways back on topic...

we all are hoping for good news on that so please share if you want to
03-28-2020, 08:18 AM   #895
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
not exactly your standard bell curve yet is it
We'll get there, don't you worry. The worry is where the top of the curve is...

My (totally unscientific) look at the graphs makes me think you're about 10-12 days behind Spain on the curve. Just following the the same curve would put you at, say, 30,000 dead in a little less than two weeks.

Last edited by savoche; 03-28-2020 at 09:23 AM.
03-28-2020, 08:30 AM   #896
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
There was a recent curriculum change here in British Columbia, which I thankfully graduated before it was fully implemented, and within it, they changed the maths standardised testing (got rid of it...) and replaced it with a 'numeracy' test, which looking through practice booklets is more common sense than even basic maths. The Ministry of Education states that they want everyone to graduate with a very basic grade nine level of maths (which here is not much more than addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and very basic exponents). I had to laugh when they wrote a public letter stating that "BC has a world-leading education system"...
I dropped out of high school twice, started college at 15, then dropped out of college at 17 to go to work.

Still, I am certain my educational and intellectual skill levels are far and above that of my recently graduated grandson. The boy is 19 now, has a high school diploma, and (so far) one quarter of community college. He wants to go into the Army Reserves, but failed the intitial entrance test. A very basic test, designed to assess basic information intelligence and reasoning, I breezed right through the online practice test without studying.

The grandson failed after weeks of studying, and did so poorly on the real test at the recruitment office they sent him away.

So much for a high school education, eh?
03-28-2020, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #897
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
What a bunch of Eeyores. All y'all are harshing my buzz with all this negative sickness talk

hmm,

03-28-2020, 08:30 AM - 3 Likes   #898
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I wish more people could get this into their heads.

I'm still baffled by the number of people who're seemingly unable to grasp "exponential growth".

Edit:
This graph from worldometer should be clear enough, shouldn't it?
Some are unable to grasp "exponential growth" but more are unwilling to worry about something that isn't bad right here and right now.

03-28-2020, 08:31 AM - 7 Likes   #899
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Husband of coronavirus patient released from local hospital...

Story: Coronavirus New Jersey: Man tearfully thanks Morristown hospital staff for saving wife's life | abc7ny.com

Last edited by luftfluss; 03-28-2020 at 08:38 AM.
03-28-2020, 08:39 AM - 3 Likes   #900
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
we all are hoping for good news on that so please share if you want to
Thanks for asking. She had a brief stay at the hospital with severe breathing problems but is a whole lot better now. They're still in isolation at home. With any luck they should be allowed to leave the house in a week or so.

This virus isn't very predictable in its behaviour. She's in her 20ies with no known "underlying conditions" yet got quite ill, while our son has shown no symptoms at all (I'm assuming he's infected even though he hasn't been tested).
Closed Thread