Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 4278 Likes Search this Thread
03-28-2020, 01:21 PM - 1 Like   #931
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Whoa all sailing pretty close to the political!

03-28-2020, 01:21 PM   #932
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Tell me about it. Teaching to the lowest level means that the brighter students learnt more on their own time than in school. I wasn't ever challenged in high school. I never studied. Never did homework. Highest academic marks in the school. Post secondary is going to kill me.
That's what happened to me Bert, I got good grades without learning to study. It killed me in university. By the time I was 30 and went back to do my teachers certificate, my average was almost 80% where a class average among my classmates, most of whom were university grads, was about 72%. It took me 10 years of working for a living to learn to apply myself. (There's nothing like a little "you learn to work more efficiently then you get paid more" to end any confusion about the need to apply yourself.) I hope your path is easier.
03-28-2020, 01:24 PM - 3 Likes   #933
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Folks - am I the only one to notice quite a bit of talk about Constitution, federal powers etc.? Should we avoid the political aspects, perhaps?

Difficult not to include it in discussions since it's so tied in to the handling of COVID-19, but best we try. I'd rather not have to close the thread.

Thank you
03-28-2020, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #934
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Arbitrary and probably unconstitutional. "Article [I] (Amendment 1 - [of the Constitution of the United States] Freedom of expression and religion) 13 Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble," No mention of a maximum number allowed in any given assembly.
According to this, (Right to Peaceful Assembly: United States | Law Library of Congress), localities can require information to allow assemblies.

Is it peaceful assembly if they are purposefully contributing to spreading disease? That's an intentional manslaughter charge waiting to happen (read: South Africa).

03-28-2020, 01:27 PM   #935
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That's what happened to me Bert, I got good grades without learning to study. It killed me in university. By the time I was 30 and went back to do my teachers certificate, my average was almost 80% where a class average among my classmates, most of whom were university grads, was about 72%. It took me 10 years of working for a living to learn to apply myself. I hope your path is easier.
Thanks Norm, I'm due to start engineering this next academic year, but we'll see how things progress with the virus* as well... A lot of those who struggled in school built up a much better work habit and studying skills, whereas I wasn't challenged enough to feel the need to. Would start the assignment the night before it's due sort of thing, because I could.

*see, I'm still on topic
03-28-2020, 02:39 PM - 3 Likes   #936
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
*see, I'm still on topic
Yeah, me too.

03-28-2020, 02:46 PM - 2 Likes   #937
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll drink to that!

hic

hic

03-28-2020, 03:14 PM - 1 Like   #938
Closed Account

Not long until it's Big Brother time and such...
This is the reason I believe that many are resisting following instructions. Being told what to do goes against all " free " thinkers way of life.

BUT, when I am told to do something that I don't want to do, for my sake and everyone else's, I need to choose who's voice I hear.

BIG BROTHER or MOTHER.

Both can tell/ask you to do the same thing, for the same outcome, but the reasons for asking are either deemed good or bad.

In times like this, I will always hear my mum ( mom).
03-28-2020, 03:17 PM - 2 Likes   #939
Pentaxian

Arbitrary and probably unconstitutional. "Article [I] (Amendment 1 - [of the Constitution of the United States] Freedom of expression and religion) 13 Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble," No mention of a maximum number allowed in any given assembly.
IANAL, but it's only the right to peaceably assemble that can't be prohibited

If people assemble with a foreseeable consequence being death to themselves or others, is it still "peaceable?"

Last edited by photoptimist; 03-28-2020 at 03:27 PM.
03-28-2020, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #940
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
This is the reason I believe that many are resisting following instructions. Being told what to do goes against all " free " thinkers way of life.

BUT, when I am told to do something that I don't want to do, for my sake and everyone else's, I need to choose who's voice I hear.

BIG BROTHER or MOTHER.

Both can tell/ask you to do the same thing, for the same outcome, but the reasons for asking are either deemed good or bad.

In times like this, I will always hear my mum ( mom).
I agree with what you said, and I do see a lot of that sort of reaction (against big brother), especially South of the border, and here too.

My comment was in regards to degrading quality of education, I believe that in times like this the government needs to implement restrictions of sorts, people are too stupid to take their own initiative or even follow suggestions. Personally, I don't feel any infringements on my rights.
03-28-2020, 03:27 PM - 2 Likes   #941
Pentaxian

Thanks Norm, I'm due to start engineering this next academic year, but we'll see how things progress with the virus* as well... A lot of those who struggled in school built up a much better work habit and studying skills, whereas I wasn't challenged enough to feel the need to. Would start the assignment the night before it's due sort of thing, because I could.

*see, I'm still on topic
I was in your shoes back in the day. High School was easy-peasy -- no need to take notes in class, study for tests, etc. Engineering was a tough major and I had to quickly learn to take notes and develop better study habits. But I think you will find that the challenge is not insurmountable. If you were among the smartest in your high school, those smarts will help you a lot in engineering school. If anything you'll be more energized by the college experience because you'll feel like you are finally learning something.

Good luck!
03-28-2020, 03:31 PM   #942
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote

It's worth noting that COVID-19 can cause pneumonia directly and also cause severe scarring of the lungs.
Yes, I heard that just yesterday from a doctor in an ER. They put people in the MRT to diagnose covid-19 by looking at their lungs even if they don't cough. She said, she assesses their general physical condition to select candidates and caught several cases in an early stage before they show typical symptoms.

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
They seem to hope for an apex in about 21 days in the US.
Doubling every 3 days. Means apex expected at 128x the current level.
Thats 10 million infected.
That would mean, the amount of then-recovered people would be enough immune people to slow down the spread? (Honest question)

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Effective Monday at 00:01 the State of Kansas will be under a " Stay At Home " order

until April 19, 2020

https://governor.kansas.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/EO20-16.pdf

it does allow you to engage in outdoor activity if you maintain 6 feet [ 1.82 meters] separation and not gather in groups larger than 10
Way too late and way too large groups (by factor 10). History repeats.
03-28-2020, 03:31 PM - 2 Likes   #943
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Mike (BigMackCam) has asked that we move away from the political aspect, and I'm going to respect that by not engaging.
03-28-2020, 03:35 PM   #944
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
That would mean, the amount of then-recovered people would be enough immune people to slow down the spread? (Honest question)
Probably not, from my understanding, to gain herd immunity, you need somewhere in the region of at least 70% immunity (I can't recall where I got this number from, but it's one of the lower estimates as well, as different diseases are different)... that's a lot, and we don't even know how long one remains immune to this virus after they have recovered.
03-28-2020, 03:36 PM - 4 Likes   #945
Veteran Member

Mike (BigMackCam) has asked that we move away from the political aspect, and I'm going to respect that by not engaging.
Something something, responsible moderator, something something, set example...
Closed Thread