Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 4278 Likes Search this Thread
03-28-2020, 04:40 PM   #961
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
Just looked at the China Hubei data. They had peak active cases after 4-5 weeks. At that point recoveries were 15% of cumulated cases. I don't know the population of Hubei.
Hubei province 58,7 mln people

03-28-2020, 05:01 PM   #962
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
one cannot have faith in something that can be proven to exist, merely trust.
Awsome!!!!!
03-28-2020, 05:14 PM   #963
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Reading the data leads nowhere. The data are never homogeneous between regional states and nations. It is not possible to know the denominator of the infections. However, it was interesting to study a small country in Italy, 3300 people who was completely isolated. Test for everyone at the beginning and at the end.
Studies and swabs have been made on all. It turned out that 3% were infected. Of these, 70% were asymptomatic. The dangers are asymptomatic. if it had not been quarantined it was assumed that after two weeks it would have gone from 3% to 20%.
Making as many swabs as possible in places of greatest contact, hospitals, shop assistants, etc ... isolating the infected is very important. If you are at home with someone infected, the whole family gets infected. They must be in divided rooms, divided bathrooms, etc ... infected because the cure rate in infected patients, if isolated, was only 8 days in 60% of cases. The name of the country in Italy is Vo Euganeo. If you want you can look for something. good luck.
03-28-2020, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #964
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nonpigliounoshoot Quote
Reading the data leads nowhere. The data are never homogeneous between regional states and nations. It is not possible to know the denominator of the infections. However, it was interesting to study a small country in Italy, 3300 people who was completely isolated. Test for everyone at the beginning and at the end.
Studies and swabs have been made on all. It turned out that 3% were infected. Of these, 70% were asymptomatic. The dangers are asymptomatic. if it had not been quarantined it was assumed that after two weeks it would have gone from 3% to 20%.
Making as many swabs as possible in places of greatest contact, hospitals, shop assistants, etc ... isolating the infected is very important. If you are at home with someone infected, the whole family gets infected. They must be in divided rooms, divided bathrooms, etc ... infected because the cure rate in infected patients, if isolated, was only 8 days in 60% of cases. The name of the country in Italy is Vo Euganeo. If you want you can look for something. good luck.
That is what I have noticed too.. not 70% high but still.. I have read from various places that children and young adults are more favorable for being asymptomatic. The numbers are probably much higher if we actually had tests for everyone. Even those who showed symptoms over here in the US weren't all being tested due to the shortage of kits.

The risk in this potentially asymptomatic infection is sending grandkids over to their grandparents, the grandkids have the virus and spread it to their grandparents. Then the grandparents aren't physically equipped to handle it. But try telling that to a grandparent that is fixated on seeing their grandkids...

On one of the President's pressers this week Dr. Birx, ambassador for the virus task force here in the USA, shared a story of her mother as a little girl had the Spanish Flu and gave it to her grandmother (Dr. Birx' great grandmother) which ended up killing her. And Dr. Birx' mother lived for over 70 years with the fact that she killed her grandmother unknowingly.

Be careful out there.

03-28-2020, 05:37 PM - 4 Likes   #965
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
If nothing else, you have to admire her for her faith.
Alas, no. The faithful are too easily used by tyrants to commit atrocity and are too often wrong. Her faith will likely kill others.

If a person can't change their mind, they really don't have one.
03-28-2020, 05:41 PM - 1 Like   #966
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Alas, no. The faithful are too easily used by tyrants to commit atrocity and are too often wrong. Her faith will likely kill others.

You also have my sympathy.
03-28-2020, 05:44 PM   #967
Veteran Member

Well said. There's some sort of famous quote about being given one choice is not actually being given a choice, but I can't recall/find it anywhere.

03-28-2020, 05:44 PM - 1 Like   #968
mee
Veteran Member

You have faith when you flick a light switch it will energize a circuit that holds within it a light bulb which will then illuminate the room, no?

You have faith when you turn the steering wheel of your car it will travel in the direction intended, no?

You have faith if you did your job, on the day your boss claimed they would pay you, that they would indeed pay you for your efforts, no?

Everyone has faith.
03-28-2020, 05:50 PM - 5 Likes   #969
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
You have faith when you flick a light switch it will energize a circuit that holds within it a light bulb which will then illuminate the room, no?

You have faith when you turn the steering wheel of your car it will travel in the direction intended, no?

You have faith if you did your job, on the day your boss claimed they would pay you, that they would indeed pay you for your efforts, no?

Everyone has faith.
I think you're confusing faith with science
03-28-2020, 05:51 PM - 3 Likes   #970
Closed Account

Everyone has faith.
The examples you give are Trust, not Faith I think.

Trust is hope.

Faith is belief.

Very different things.
03-28-2020, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #971
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
03-28-2020, 05:58 PM - 3 Likes   #972
Veteran Member

Everyone has faith.
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote

Trust is hope.

Faith is belief.

Very different things.
Technically the dictionary states faith as a "complete trust or confidence in someone or something", however it is more commonly used (and implied) in the sense of a "strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof".

I would argue that most would say that you have trust in your light switch, trust in your steering wheel, and trust in your employer, rather than faith in them.
03-28-2020, 06:03 PM - 1 Like   #973
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote

Trust is hope.

Faith is belief.

Very different things.
No no

Faith is based on evidence. I have faith, I trust in something because I have evidence to believe it true.

You have faith that when you flick on the light switch it will indeed net the result you were intending. Why else would you go through the effort?

And you have evidence for your faith, because you've likely turned on a light switch before. And, indeed, the result you observed is now what you expect to occur. Maybe you got even more curious and learned about electricity, wiring, and circuitry to understand it at a deeper level.

So now you trust that it works. Your faith leads you to make use of the little switch on the wall now because you have a personally satisfactory level of understanding that it will give the desired effect when toggled.
03-28-2020, 06:06 PM - 5 Likes   #974
Closed Account

No no
You and I must " agree to disagree " on this one.
03-28-2020, 06:07 PM   #975
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Technically the dictionary states faith as a "complete trust or confidence in someone or something", however it is more commonly used (and implied) in the sense of a "strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof".

I would argue that most would say that you have trust in your light switch, trust in your steering wheel, and trust in your employer, rather than faith in them.

We're edging out of the subtle argument against the existence of God you're having into a more direct one. So let me just say one can have a faith in God that is founded on evidence; It isn't just a blind leap as some, especially atheists, seem to think all Christians believe.
Closed Thread