03-30-2020, 03:16 AM   #1036
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I deliberately reported the article as " disturbing theory " for a reason

as opposed to being reported as known fact

and the article notes that there is other information along the same lines:

QuoteQuote:
. . . it would bolster the findings of researchers who say that the virus can be transmitted through microscopic aerosols, in addition to the much larger respiratory droplets that are emitted when someone coughs or sneezes.

03-30-2020, 03:31 AM - 1 Like   #1037
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
All we have is the doctors office, the grocery store, the pharmacy, the post office, the beer store and two gas stations. What would they close?
French lobbyists still want the Tour de France event to go on. Cycling races are very much essential to survival.

Maybe the reason is that the participants are not really sportspeople, but mobile pharmacies these days, think of Lance Armstrong et al.
03-30-2020, 03:33 AM   #1038
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
French lobbyists still want the Tour de France event to go on. Cycling races are very much essential to survival.

Maybe the reason is that the participants are not really sportspeople, but mobile pharmacies these days, think of Lance Armstrong et al.
to be fair to Lance

he has proven to be one of many who have cheated throughout the history of that event
03-30-2020, 03:53 AM   #1039
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

It's the classic money vs health, economy vs lives thing, isn't it? I'm a cycling fan, and part of me would love that the Tour, the Giro and the Vuelta went ahead, but it's absurd.

03-30-2020, 03:53 AM - 1 Like   #1040
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
to be fair to Lance

he has proven to be one of many who have cheated throughout the history of that event
That is what I implied. He's just a world infamous iconic cheater.

Btw I just read that a Austrian Red Bull F1 racing consultant actually proposed to the "young and healthy" drivers that they should "make good use of the downtime" and intentionally should be infected with Covid-19 in their training camp, so they can be back to normal once the circus resumes. The drivers "did not welcome" the proposal.

What to say?
03-30-2020, 04:07 AM - 1 Like   #1041
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . What to say?
perhaps we can note that there are idiots of all sizes, races, sex and creed
03-30-2020, 04:28 AM   #1042
Pentaxian

agreed

03-30-2020, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #1043
Pentaxian

Btw I just read that a Austrian Red Bull F1 racing consultant actually proposed to the "young and healthy" drivers that they should "make good use of the downtime" and intentionally should be infected with Covid-19 in their training camp, so they can be back to normal once the circus resumes. The drivers "did not welcome" the proposal.
I'd say "Try it out, tell us how it goes, we'll consider it, if you survive."
03-30-2020, 06:21 AM - 6 Likes   #1044
Pentaxian

Hi everyone, just checking in here as this seems to be the main thread for this topic.

I'm British but living in Spain, currently isolating with my family and parents-in-law in their house in Segovia. We have more space, including a small garden, here than in our flat in Madrid, so are riding out isolation here. I'm pretty sure that my wife and I have already had the Coronavirus, though we're now almost recovered. The others in the household haven't shown symptoms. Our main symptom was a very strong cough, though not entirely dry, which felt like it was deep in the chest and gave a feeling like being stabbed in the lungs with pins when coughing. There was a sensation that the upper part of my lungs were very sensitive when breathing deeply, a strange sensation that is hard to describe. I've never had such a bad cough in my life, not even close. Other than that, a couple of days of feeling under the weather and a complete loss of smell and taste for a week, despite having no nasal congestion. No fever at all.

The loss of taste and smell seems to have emerged as the tell-tale symptom to differentiate CV from other illnesses as it's quite unusual unless accompanied with nasal congestion. Of course, like other CV symptoms, not everyone gets it, so the only way to be 100% (well, almost 100%) sure is to be tested. As our symptoms were not severe enough to merit going to hospital we haven't been tested, so we don't appear in the official statistics, and I'm sure there are many, many more in the same position.
03-30-2020, 06:24 AM - 2 Likes   #1045
Pentaxian

Do they a really have good evidence for the ratio of air-borne versus surface-borne transmission for COVID-19?

People do emit aerosols when speaking (https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-38808-z) and the louder they are, the more they emit. Two minutes of speaking and breathing (i.e, conversing) equals about 15 seconds of coughing. Singing is about 6X worse than speaking and is about as bad as coughing (it's not surprising that 75% of that choir practice group caught it from some asymptomatic carrier). I pity the healthcare workers who have to look at someone's throat -- saying "ahh" is as bad as coughing. Even normal breathing emits microscopic particles that can contain viruses. Finally, some people emit 10X the average number of particles for reasons unknown. These microscopic particles emitted by breathing/talking/singing are more infectious than the visible globules from coughing because they are so small that they remain in the air for longer and can be more easily inhaled deep into the lungs.

Bottom line: if you can smell someone's second-hand smoke, cologne, perfume, laundry detergent fragrance, bad breath, or body odor, you are probably inhaling whatever they are exhaling.
03-30-2020, 06:27 AM - 3 Likes   #1046
Pentaxian

That is what I implied. He's just a world infamous iconic cheater.

What to say?
I have heard that anti-vaxxers are already suggesting "COVID-19 parties" to spread the virus and thereby achieve immunity.

COVID-19 is not chicken pox. A belief that the young, strong and healthy will always survive it without consequences has already become entrenched and that's very dangerous. Some such people have died but the worst is that anyone, symptoms or not, who carries the virus can spread it to someone vulnerable. Herd immunity is a real thing and it works, but people seem to misunderstand the concept. It's not worth sacrificing the old and the susceptible to attain it - the idea is to protect them. Herd immunity can hopefully be achieved in the future by use of an effective vaccine, without the risks of the disease itself.
03-30-2020, 06:34 AM - 3 Likes   #1047
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
anti-vaxxers are already suggesting "COVID-19 parties" to spread the virus and thereby achieve immunity.
If it wasn't so dangerous to everyone else I'd say go for it amongst yourselves... Just sign the waiver you wont be looking for a hospital bed or ventolator as they are needed for people not drinking the cool-aid. Though I don't like judging others choices that goes out the window when poor ones effect me and my loved ones.

al
03-30-2020, 06:48 AM   #1048
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

as far as I know and have read

the issue of whether survivors have immunity of any type is hoped for and is being tested but no scientific proof of any such immunity exists at this time

or if it does, that it is transferable

per my usual disclaimer, I am not a medical practitioner of any type, nor have I played one on stage or screen, large or small, and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night

03-30-2020, 07:02 AM - 5 Likes   #1049
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I have heard that anti-vaxxers are already suggesting "COVID-19 parties" to spread the virus and thereby achieve immunity.
03-30-2020, 07:11 AM   #1050
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Well it's anti-vaxxers. They keep waving that one study after its own author admitted to completely making it up, while ignoring the thousands of others (and the fact that children are no longer a survival toss-up). Are we really surprised that their response to this is as far away from logic as it could possibly be?
Closed Thread