Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2020, 04:23 PM   #1171
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
Pennsylvania will be under a mandatory stay at home order through April 30th starting at 8pm today. We will see if this lessens the huge crowds of morons who are going to Walmart, Costco, Sams Club, Target, Lowe’s, Home Depot and all the other big box stores just to hang out.
I went past our local Lowe’s this afternoon on the way to the pharmacy, the entire parking lot was packed.
Just a little bit of over reaction going on here.

Mandatory stay at home orders, like my state has had for the past few weeks, exempt buying essentials. Food, Gas and other things like booze and hardware. I have been to Costco twice in the last few weeks and my better half has been to the grocery store. We had dinner delivered last evening and over the weekend we picked up two meals delivered to a parking lot from our favorite French restaurant. We then went to the big box liquor store and scored some Edradour Caledonia and Ardbeg single malt Scotch Whisky.

Restaurants are closed except for those delivering (Pizza places) and those who had been sending take out or have started take out (like the one we used) in order to not go completely out of business.

04-01-2020, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #1172
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am referring to the people who bring their children, friends, grandparents and other unnecessary bodies to these large stores. You don’t need everybody in your household to buy groceries, especially children since they touch everything and can help rapidly spread the virus even though they may never show symptoms. I stand by my morons comment where group shopping is concerned.

I wish people would read to comprehend instead of to reply.
people may bring children because they can't leave them at home

they may need to bring grandparents so the grandparents can get necessary supplies

I can't say who is necessary or not

I have seen children start to approach me but stop when I ask them to

I have even backed away from them if necessary

I have seen people of many ages pick up items and put them back

is there moronic behavior going on

yes, people playing basketball in NYC playgrounds, or so reports say, people gathering at beaches as shown by videos, people gathering into crowds and watching the hospital ships coming into port are to me examples

shopping for groceries and necessary supplies ( nitrile gloves ???) aren't in my category of moronic behaviour

in my area, many stores are establishing " senior " hours where people of a certain age can shop and those younger may not

big problem is they tend to be early in the morning
04-01-2020, 04:27 PM   #1173
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Yes, those morons who are trying to buy groceries to stay alive.
Yes these are scary time face masks and latex gloves are an absolute must.
04-01-2020, 04:32 PM   #1174
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Without wishing to be labelled a flat earth anti-vaxxer I do wonder how many of those who have died of the virus would,within a short period of ,say,3-6 months have died anyway.It's very difficult to distinguish whether the virus was the actual or even main cause of death and will the overall death rate be significantly skewed. I'm in no way playing down the seriousness of the situation,its long term effects or the human tragedy involved just trying to get a fix on the sorts of numbers involved.
There are quite a lot of deaths in people under 60 occurring. There are still people dying from heart attacks, strokes, the regular old flu, cancer, car accidents (although the rates should be going down) and other things. Just look at the post I made about the choir in the Skagit valley, not all of those people would have died within two weeks of the rehearsal.

If there is testing on the remains or autopsies, then the numbers can be better understood. But to say that the people who have died from COVID-19 would have died within 3-6 six months is stretching logic a little too far.

04-01-2020, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #1175
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I wish people would read to comprehend instead of to reply.
As do I.
04-01-2020, 04:38 PM - 1 Like   #1176
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
The CDC says that masks should only be used by people who are coughing or if you are attending someone who is ill. If you can't, or won't, keep your distance then just stay home.
As for latex gloves, I saw people in Costco wearing latex glove who would reach out and pick something up, put it in the cart and scratch their nose. A lot of good that will do eh? I also saw two guys wearing gloves talking to each other from a distance of 1 or 2 feet - gloves really a help there? No, I don't think so.
04-01-2020, 04:43 PM - 2 Likes   #1177
bxf
Veteran Member

Whatever one's opinion of a given situation is, there will always be a dissenting opinion, sometimes to the extent of ignoring facts. So, for those who believe that the mobility restrictions being imposed are excessive, take a moment to ponder the question of how a situation that was to "blow over very quickly", has suddenly transformed into a "200,000 dead means we did a good job" evaluation. This should give you some incentive to reconsider the question of whether or not the restrictions are overdone.

04-01-2020, 04:44 PM   #1178
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
The CDC says that masks should only be used by people who are coughing or if you are attending someone who is ill. If you can't, or won't, keep your distance then just stay home.
As for latex gloves, I saw people in Costco wearing latex glove who would reach out and pick something up, put it in the cart and scratch their nose. A lot of good that will do eh? I also saw two guys wearing gloves talking to each other from a distance of 1 or 2 feet - gloves really a help there? No, I don't think so.
yep - those who don't follow " guidelines " can be frightening

and the CDC and the US Surgeon general are " reviewing " when masks should be worn

and it even depends on what a " mask " is.

any " mask " used by the medical professions and first responders , due to shortages, should not be worn

any " mask " not used by such folks very possible yes it could be ok

how effective such " masks " are is up to being questioned.
04-01-2020, 04:47 PM   #1179
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Whatever one's opinion of a given situation is, there will always be a dissenting opinion, sometimes to the extent of ignoring facts. So, for those who believe that the mobility restrictions being imposed are excessive, take a moment to ponder the question of how a situation that was to "blow over very quickly", has suddenly transformed into a "200,000 dead means we did a good job" evaluation. This should give you some incentive to reconsider the question of whether or not the restrictions are overdone.
as I stated before

there are conditions where total isolation can be very dangerous to some

" going out " under the right conditions may, in fact, be better
04-01-2020, 04:48 PM - 2 Likes   #1180
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I have seen people of many ages pick up items and put them back

is there moronic behavior going on

yes,
I was in Menard's Saturday, primarily to buy cat food and cat treats. (I don't buy ANYTHING from Walmart that I can get from Menard's).
The guy that walked in just ahead of us used the sanitary wipes to, as thoroughly as he possibly could, disinfect his shopping cart.
A few minutes later I saw him pawing through a "bargain bin" of books. I'm quite certain he handled just about every book in the bin.
04-01-2020, 04:49 PM - 1 Like   #1181
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
Especially now that we learn that up to 25% of infected people show no symptoms.
04-01-2020, 04:50 PM   #1182
PDL
Pentaxian

people may bring children because they can't leave them at home

they may need to bring grandparents so the grandparents can get necessary supplies
I can't say who is necessary or not
So not the Costco door people are having to become the age police?
-snip
shopping for groceries and necessary supplies ( nitrile gloves ???) aren't in my category of moronic behavior
in my area, many stores are establishing " senior " hours where people of a certain age can shop and those younger may not
big problem is they tend to be early in the morning
They have early hours for us old people out here too. As I was standing in line there was a woman who questioned the age of nearly everyone coming out of the store as she didn't think they looked "old enough". Some people were really upset because they would only allow 50 people in every 5 minutes and delay it a little longer based on the number of people waiting to check out. At the checkout they were cleaning the rubber belt between every two customers. When standing in line, the person in charge addressed the crowd and stated that everyone had to have their card out go gain entry - failure to do so meant you were sent to the back of the line. (Great idea) At checkout they scanned your card and had sneeze shields mounted behind the cash register. The employee's did not touch your card. They had TP (one regular sized 40 roll package) so I am good for another 3-4 months.
04-01-2020, 04:50 PM   #1183
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I was in Menard's Saturday, primarily to buy cat food and cat treats. (I don't buy ANYTHING from Walmart that I can get from Menard's).
The guy that walked in just ahead of us used the sanitary wipes to, as thoroughly as he possibly could, disinfect his shopping cart.
A few minutes later I saw him pawing through a "bargain bin" of books. I'm quite certain he handled just about every book in the bin.
and he didn't use some of the wipes to hold the books, did he
04-01-2020, 04:51 PM - 2 Likes   #1184
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What China knew and when. A timeline.
China's Coronavirus Coverup -- Devastating Lies | National Review
04-01-2020, 05:00 PM - 2 Likes   #1185
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
The problem is that even now we have only the story that the Chinese want us to know about COVID and their glorious success in dealing with it. The reality is that it probably was way more devastating than they wanted the rest of the world to know, which is part of the reason that people took it as casually as they did. My guess is that Hubei was a lot more similar to NYC than it was different.
Closed Thread