Show Printable Version 4278 Likes Search this Thread
04-02-2020, 02:33 AM - 1 Like   #1216
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
best information I saw from reading the non peer review article cited:

Some Blood Types May Be Slightly More Susceptible to COVID-19, Paper Suggests
I think their hypothesis is incorrect. People with type O blood should not have anti-A and anti-B antibodies unless they have received a transfusion of A or B blood or been a mother of a child with a different blood type and not received Rhogam.

I'm not saying that this difference doesn't exist, just that it shouldn't be due to these supposed antibodies which most type O and type B people wouldn't actually have.

04-02-2020, 02:35 AM   #1217
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
thanks for that information

all I know is that I am type A

and nothing beyond that
04-02-2020, 02:37 AM   #1218
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
I wasn't suggesting that eveyone who has died of the virus would have died within 3-6 months just wondering what proportion.
My guess would be not a high proportion. Just because you are over 65 and have the pre-existing condition of high blood pressure does not mean that you are on the edge of kicking the bucket. Obviously if you extend out the time period, you will find that everyone dies eventually, but I don't get the feeling that the majority of these folks were on the edge of death and COVID was the breeze that finally pushed them over the edge.
04-02-2020, 02:57 AM - 4 Likes   #1219
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Obviously if you extend out the time period, you will find that everyone dies eventually
Well, that's ruined my morning. First the coronavirus, and now this

04-02-2020, 03:02 AM - 2 Likes   #1220
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I know. What's this world coming to?
04-02-2020, 03:04 AM - 1 Like   #1221
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

well here in the US

we won't have to pay taxes on April 15

[ but we will have to pay them ]
04-02-2020, 03:10 AM   #1222
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
The WHO has had and is having issues convincing the powers that be in most countries that this was/is a problem. They have stated that they are more interested in what is going on in the "non developed" countries than the "developed countries". Italy and the US are prime examples where both countries have said to the WHO that "we can take care of our selves" and in the US where the powers that be stated that the whole thing was/is a hoax.
It is not so. Italy WHO did not consider the asymptomatic swab strategy harmful. His indications were contrary because he worried about the homogeneity of the data criteria. But this strategy is a loser. He also delayed in declaring a pandemic. When he did it in Italy we were in full emergency. Didn't you notice what was happening in the East? Perhaps economic interests have influenced his choices too much.

As for the states, you're right. All states of any political color have been very rough and incompetent. After all, people too. See the beginning of this topic; many did not believe. The same happened in Italy at the beginning in other forums. Sin

04-02-2020, 03:14 AM - 1 Like   #1223
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If anyone is interested, this is a website that predicts when various states will hit their peak with regard to COVID 19 and what their shortfall will be with regard to ICU beds and ventilators. COVID-19

So for instance, for Virginia, where I live, it shows the peak coming in the second half of May with a short fall of about 600 ICU beds for the state. Most of the projection is based on how active the social distancing is in the state and when it was implemented. States like Ohio and Kentucky where they were early with aggressive measures look way better on these charts. New York is supposed to peak in the next couple weeks but be short on ICU beds and ventilators by a huge amount.

A major issue with the testing is timeliness with regard to results. In Virginia is taking 5 to 7 days for test results to come back. This is because national labs are prioritizing hot spots like New York and California and putting other areas on a back burner. What it means is that many people are either better or in really bad shape before they know whether they have COVID.
04-02-2020, 03:18 AM - 2 Likes   #1224
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
We have a saying in Galicia for these dire situations: "There's people dying who never died before".
04-02-2020, 03:27 AM   #1225
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

If anyone is interested, this is a website that predicts when various states will hit their peak with regard to COVID 19 and what their shortfall will be with regard to ICU beds and ventilators. COVID-19

So for instance, for Virginia, where I live, it shows the peak coming in the second half of May with a short fall of about 600 ICU beds for the state. Most of the projection is based on how active the social distancing is in the state and when it was implemented. States like Ohio and Kentucky where they were early with aggressive measures look way better on these charts. New York is supposed to peak in the next couple weeks but be short on ICU beds and ventilators by a huge amount.

A major issue with the testing is timeliness with regard to results. In Virginia is taking 5 to 7 days for test results to come back. This is because national labs are prioritizing hot spots like New York and California and putting other areas on a back burner. What it means is that many people are either better or in really bad shape before they know whether they have COVID.
I wonder how the study takes into effect " travel "

for example how stressed will the hospitals in Kansas located near the border of Nebraska, Missouri, Arkansas and Colorado will be stressed by the infected persons residing in those states

especially in metro areas such as the Kansas City and Wichita areas
04-02-2020, 04:10 AM - 1 Like   #1226
Pentaxian

Any prudent State would now be looking at the projected ICU
bed shortfall and constructing temporary facilities to cover double that required.

So in your State you’ve got six weeks,not an unreasonable deadline?

It is feasible,this took about two weeks:

Coronavirus: Transforming London's ExCeL centre into Nightingale hospital https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52112652

Last edited by timb64; 04-02-2020 at 04:21 AM.
04-02-2020, 04:53 AM   #1227
Pentaxian

Overall it is rather simple.

After all this is over you can compare the numbers of citizens who died per capita population.

Any regime (comparing only countries with similar average wealth per capita) with more deaths per population than the lowest one is fully guilty of those unnecessary deaths. There are no excuses.
04-02-2020, 05:19 AM - 1 Like   #1228
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Overall it is rather simple.

After all this is over you can compare the numbers of citizens who died per capita population.

Any regime (comparing only countries with similar average wealth per capita) with more deaths per population than the lowest one is fully guilty of those unnecessary deaths. There are no excuses.
I doubt there are any countries where the response has been as efficient as it could and should have been. Some have been better than others, but there's still plenty of room for all of them to improve.

I don't, however, think blaming any individual, group, or government is helpful, however tempting it might be in the circumstances. The number of official bodies involved, the variety of information (and misinformation) sources, what to believe, what not to believe, the range and balance of desired outcomes, determing acceptable risks to achieve those outcomes, deciding which strategies to hang your hat on (when none is perfect), overcoming obstacles to implementation, the logistics involved... These and many other factors combine to create a remarkably complex and multi-facted problem. It's anything but simple.

So, yes, everyone from leaders to individuals of all age groups could have responded better in a variety of ways. Some still could be responding better, and need to step up their games urgently. This is definitely the case here in the UK. But I don't feel apportioning blame will help. There are, however, many lessons that must be learned so we never get caught out like this again...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-02-2020 at 05:58 AM.
04-02-2020, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #1229
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Any prudent State would now be looking at the projected ICU
bed shortfall and constructing temporary facilities to cover double that required.

So in your State you’ve got six weeks,not an unreasonable deadline?

It is feasible,this took about two weeks:

Coronavirus: Transforming London's ExCeL centre into Nightingale hospital Coronavirus: Transforming London's ExCeL centre into Nightingale hospital - BBC News
Sounds simple.

The issue is two-fold. First of all, getting extra ventilators and other equipment for those additional ICU rooms right now is pretty hard (everyone wants them). Second, we don't have government run health care and so it falls to private hospitals to game plan for their particular community. Depending on the resources a given hospital system has, they may be able to construct these temporary facilities and they may not.

I know that in the Lynchburg area there has been a push to decongest the hospitals with all other patients as much as possible and turn other units into ICU beds. They are trying to convert anesthesia equipment into ventilators for the expected influx of COVID patients, but whether it will be enough remains to be seen. But at the same time, Virginia is not homogeneous and northern Virginia and eastern Virginia have been disproportionately hit by the virus at this point.
04-02-2020, 05:38 AM   #1230
Pentaxian

Sounds simple.

The issue is two-fold. First of all, getting extra ventilators and other equipment for those additional ICU rooms right now is pretty hard (everyone wants them). Second, we don't have government run health care and so it falls to private hospitals to game plan for their particular community. Depending on the resources a given hospital system has, they may be able to construct these temporary facilities and they may not.

I know that in the Lynchburg area there has been a push to decongest the hospitals with all other patients as much as possible and turn other units into ICU beds. They are trying to convert anesthesia equipment into ventilators for the expected influx of COVID patients, but whether it will be enough remains to be seen. But at the same time, Virginia is not homogeneous and northern Virginia and eastern Virginia have been disproportionately hit by the virus at this point.
Without getting political I think that sort of localism is going to be a big obstacle to dealing with this global crisis successfully.
Closed Thread