Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2020, 05:44 AM   #1231
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Without getting political I think that sort of localism is going to be a big obstacle to dealing with this global crisis successfully.
In all honesty, coordinating a global response across completely different places and systems is also near impossible. Privately-run hospitals are about the worst thing for dealing with this situation, too...

04-02-2020, 05:49 AM - 1 Like   #1232
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
In all honesty, coordinating a global response across completely different places and systems is also near impossible. Privately-run hospitals are about the worst thing for dealing with this situation, too...
I wasn’t by any means advocating a global response.Just saying it needs a bit more joined up thinking.It’s a bit like saying the individual States couldn’t have succeeded in WW2.And for most of us this is the worst event since then.
04-02-2020, 05:56 AM - 1 Like   #1233
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wasn’t by any means advocating a global response.Just saying it needs a bit more joined up thinking.It’s a bit like saying the individual States couldn’t have succeeded in WW2.And for most of us this is the worst event since then.
Oh, for sure being individualistic is so much worse; I also think that more cooperation is needed, as well as a strong collective agreement on the ground rules for both the pandemic and how to fix the economy after it passes... otherwise there will be a lot of political tension afterwards. I'm not keeping any hopes up there
04-02-2020, 06:22 AM   #1234
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
How many people are you willing to kill so that life can go on? Do you have a specific number in mind?
Well, no, I don't have a number in mind.
I'd bet that you don't have a number in mind as to how many may theoretically be saved makes destroying the entire economy and destroying the way of life for everybody worth it.

04-02-2020, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #1235
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I'd bet that you don't have a number in mind as to how many may theoretically be saved makes destroying the entire economy and destroying the way of life for everybody worth it.
I don't know, does letting a million people die damage the economy long term more or less?
Humans existed before "the economy", it's all about making choices about how to deal with this. It's also about basing our entire society on an eternal consumption, profit-maximizing engine which, what a surprise, turns out to be a terrible idea when it comes to any and all crises.
04-02-2020, 06:29 AM - 1 Like   #1236
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
- - - and a time - - -

life will go on
04-02-2020, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #1237
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
But I don't feel apportioning blame will help. There are, however, many lessons that must be learned so we never get caught out like this again...
I agree and did not mean to imply that blaming anyone is a constructive aim all by itself. But a) comparisons and lessons learned on who/how saved most lives is absolutely required and b) from these lessons learned actions must be taken to improve.

Regimes tend to glorify themselves after any bad event and based on their self proclaimed super performance they tend do actively block any actions (which always mean: change to status quo ante) from lessons learned, because that will involve effort to fight against lobbies which caused the previous poor performance.

For example if country X would somehow manage to have half of the deaths per capita we have in country Y and their economy faring no worse, then I want to see action to adjust the situation so that for the next case we do as well. And that might very well require copying some or most of the measures taken by the more succesful country - even if that is hard work against lobbies in our own countries.

And if they do not change and learn/copy from others then I want everyone to blame them until they are gone for good.

04-02-2020, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #1238
bxf
Veteran Member

Quite frankly, the economy, or at least the soco-economic ladder, is so screwed up, so unjust, that an overhaul is a good idea. If a change in that area is a result of this pandemic, there will have been a silver lining after all.
04-02-2020, 06:59 AM - 1 Like   #1239
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
First, disease.

Now, grape sized hail, thunder and lightning.

Someone is mad at us.

Whoever or whatever it is, we have really made them mad. And now this extreme weather.

Last day of March even.
Yeah, sorry, I had some giants to slay

04-02-2020, 07:07 AM - 2 Likes   #1240
Loyal Site Supporter

I’m not seeing how stopping this with minimum loss of life has to “destroy the economy”. I’ve listened to the talking heads that say “we have to get back to work”, and frankly, they are talking crap.
Other than toilet paper, there is enough stockpiled product to serve everyone’s needs for a couple of months, and there would be enough of that except for human stupidity.
One thing that I hope comes from this is a reassessment structure of society.
It turns out that the people who are actually needed to run things and keep the people who “want to start the country back up” in power are the ones who get the smallest share of the benefits of society.
The people on the front lines of this, the people who are risking their lives every day to make sure the “economy isn’t destroyed” might have a few things to say about how things are apportioned when this is all said and done.
It’s not lost on us that the people who want me to risk my life to make your precious economy work are hiding behind their walls quaking in fear for their lives.
04-02-2020, 07:12 AM   #1241
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
. . . except for human stupidity. . . .
history teaches us not underestimate the scope of " human stupidity "
04-02-2020, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #1242
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
history teaches us not underestimate the scope of " human stupidity "

Or the gnat's attention span of human memory
04-02-2020, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #1243
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’m not seeing how stopping this with minimum loss of life has to “destroy the economy”. I’ve listened to the talking heads that say “we have to get back to work”, and frankly, they are talking crap.
Other than toilet paper, there is enough stockpiled product to serve everyone’s needs for a couple of months, and there would be enough of that except for human stupidity.
One thing that I hope comes from this is a reassessment structure of society.
It turns out that the people who are actually needed to run things and keep the people who “want to start the country back up” in power are the ones who get the smallest share of the benefits of society.
The people on the front lines of this, the people who are risking their lives every day to make sure the “economy isn’t destroyed” might have a few things to say about how things are apportioned when this is all said and done.
It’s not lost on us that the people who want me to risk my life to make your precious economy work are hiding behind their walls quaking in fear for their lives.
I'm gonna paraphrase Farquaad from Shrek and consider him as random CEO of Megacorp#36: "Yes, some of you may die for my benefit, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make". It's always the upper ladder demanding sacrifices for the good of society and crying for the government to rescue their bottom lines, but it's curiously the same people who are never willing to sacrifice anything and do everything in their power to give as little to society as they can get away with.

How did it go, socialize the losses and privatize the profits?

---------- Post added 04-02-20 at 07:27 AM ----------

Or the gnat's attention span of human memory
I can guarantee that, at least in Spain, it will take about one Real Madrid - Barcelona football match to make half the country forget this entire ordeal.
04-02-2020, 07:32 AM - 4 Likes   #1244
Veteran Member

Numbers and percents aside remember its about people... not numbers.

Where I am we are starting to see the human side of this pandemic..
Bus Drivers In ICU; Had Few Protections | New Haven Independent

My wife teaches middle school... currently remotely from home. Shes starting to hear from her kids of family members In ICU with it. Some of these kids may not see those relatives again.

We need to remember the human side in all this.. the dots and percents and numbers ... what they represent.
04-02-2020, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #1245
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
well here in the US

we won't have to pay taxes on April 15

[ but we will have to pay them ]
Here in Canada the personal tax deadline has been extended. All that means is I just procrastinate longer before doing them...
Closed Thread