Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 4278 Likes Search this Thread
04-02-2020, 07:39 AM - 3 Likes   #1246
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
We need to remember the human side in all this.. the dots and percents and numbers ... what they represent.
One death is a tragedy, whereas a million deaths is a statistic.

04-02-2020, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #1247
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Numbers and percents aside remember its about people... not numbers.

Where I am we are starting to see the human side of this pandemic..
Bus Drivers In ICU; Had Few Protections | New Haven Independent

My wife teaches middle school... currently remotely from home. Shes starting to hear from her kids of family members In ICU with it. Some of these kids may not see those relatives again.

We need to remember the human side in all this.. the dots and percents and numbers ... what they represent.
Unfortunately some people won't consider the personal tragedy to be important unless it is *personal* to them.
04-02-2020, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #1248
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
One death is a tragedy, whereas a million deaths is a statistic.
Sorry but no.. maybe from distance it is.. but if you look close its still a tragedy.. a million of them.
04-02-2020, 08:02 AM   #1249
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nonpigliounoshoot Quote
It is not so. Italy WHO did not consider the asymptomatic swab strategy harmful. His indications were contrary because he worried about the homogeneity of the data criteria. But this strategy is a loser. He also delayed in declaring a pandemic. When he did it in Italy we were in full emergency. Didn't you notice what was happening in the East? Perhaps economic interests have influenced his choices too much.

As for the states, you're right. All states of any political color have been very rough and incompetent. After all, people too. See the beginning of this topic; many did not believe. The same happened in Italy at the beginning in other forums. Sin
WHO (World Health Organization) is not a "He" it is a "they". The WHO has stated explicitly that they were paying more attention to non-western first world countries.

04-02-2020, 08:05 AM - 2 Likes   #1250
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
WHO (World Health Organization) is not a "He" it is a "they".
Probably a language issue; in most romance languages you would use a singular pronoun (it's one organization) and we mostly have gendered pronouns only.
04-02-2020, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #1251
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Probably a language issue; in most romance languages you would use a singular pronoun (it's one organization) and we mostly have gendered pronouns only.
It always amused me how a table,for instance, could be a he or she
04-02-2020, 08:54 AM   #1252

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
The virus' DNA signature (according to those in the know) does not appear to have been manipulated in a lab but appears to most closely match that of an existing bat corona virus with some scaly ant-eater mixed in. That's not to say it may not have been manufactured in a lab but it does seem somewhat unlikely.
I dont want to mute to an ant-eater… I dislike ants

I am pretty sure that's a trick from Monsanto or similar, they want to get rid of ants, without chemicals !!!!

04-02-2020, 09:07 AM   #1253
Pentaxian

Numbers and percents aside remember its about people... not numbers.

Where I am we are starting to see the human side of this pandemic..
Bus Drivers In ICU; Had Few Protections | New Haven Independent

My wife teaches middle school... currently remotely from home. Shes starting to hear from her kids of family members In ICU with it. Some of these kids may not see those relatives again.

Indeed! And that makes things even harder because people (both leaders and citizens) are being forced to pick among various tragedies both unknown and known, proximate and distant, major and minor.

People are facing decisions about who lives and who dies, who loses their job and who keeps their job, who loses their life savings and who does not, all the way down to seemingly minuscule but crucial decisions about whether the family eats canned beans again today (a known unpleasantness) or tries to get fresher food at the risk of death to themselves or others (an unknown and remote downside).
04-02-2020, 09:24 AM - 6 Likes   #1254
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I’m not seeing how stopping this with minimum loss of life has to “destroy the economy”. I’ve listened to the talking heads that say “we have to get back to work”, and frankly, they are talking crap.
Other than toilet paper, there is enough stockpiled product to serve everyone’s needs for a couple of months, and there would be enough of that except for human stupidity.
Please note: the talking heads are part of the 1%. Those people take home millions of dollars a year and they are being paid during this pandemic. They have not been laid off, they have premium health care paid for by the networks, they are the owners of the buildings where people are being threatened to be thrown out and they have not seen a hint that their income is or will drop. They have "peps" shopping for them and stocking up on TP. (Which is a false flag - there is no shortage - just a bunch of people grabbing more than they really need to use - especially now that Amazon and other "resellers" have started to crack down on price gouging)

An Aside: I asked the guy making sure that people only picked up one package (40 rolls) of TP "do you understand why people are buying pickup loads of TP". He looked at me and said "so they can sell it on-line, that is why Costco has stopped "returns" of TP, 50lb bags of rice, beans etc.". Then he went on to say that the real reason was "When you cough in public - the 5 people closest to you dirty (he used a different word - starts with s) their pants.
04-02-2020, 10:05 AM - 6 Likes   #1255
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
WHO (World Health Organization) is not a "He" it is a "they". The WHO has stated explicitly that they were paying more attention to non-western first world countries.
You might consider that someone doesn't speak English, the universal language of this forum, and relies solely on Google Translate to communicate here.

I got the meaning when reading the message, and mentally inserted a non gender reference in place of he.

Give the guy credit for taking the effort to engage and communicate in spite of the language barrier.
04-02-2020, 10:12 AM - 2 Likes   #1256
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't want to see anyone die -- rich, poor, or middle class. At the end of the day, it is kindness that draws people together and lets them weather storms and not hatred, even if the hatred is well earned.
04-02-2020, 10:15 AM - 2 Likes   #1257
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
history teaches us not underestimate the scope of " human stupidity "
Maybe putting too fine of a point on this but I submit that, "based on past history, we should not underestimate the scope of human stupidity " is a more accurate statement.
Whether history teaches us anything is dependent on us learning; and that's relatively rare.
04-02-2020, 10:19 AM   #1258
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't want to see anyone die -- rich, poor, or middle class. At the end of the day, it is kindness that draws people together and lets them weather storms and not hatred, even if the hatred is well earned.
Neither do I. But there are people actively adding to the fire by a host of decisions taken in decades prior who shouldn't get away with it. Once we get through this - together - we have to make sure this situation cannot be repeated, and that must mean bringing accountability to a lot of reckless, callous people who I'm not even going to bother* insulting.

*Okay, it's totally partly because of the rules...
04-02-2020, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #1259
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Maybe putting too fine of a point on this but I submit that, "based on past history, we should not underestimate the scope of human stupidity " is a more accurate statement.
Whether history teaches us anything is dependent on us learning; and that's relatively rare.
" history can teach us not to underestimate the scope of " human stupidity "

if we are willing to learn "

is that an acceptable compromise ?
04-02-2020, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #1260
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

That works.
Closed Thread