Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2020, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #1321
Veteran Member

This is interesting..

Texas 'mom and pop' business flooded with orders for helmet ventilators amid coronavirus crisis

AL

04-03-2020, 01:07 PM   #1322
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Norm, I can't find any posts where anyone has said they aren't needed. I have no idea whether they are needed at the moment or not. All I know is what I read and hear reported and I've made clear more than once how much faith I have in that.
If they are needed now, let's use them. If they are in place in anticipation of being needed in the future, kudos to whomever had the foresight to deploy them and, as I stated earlier, I'm impressed; surprised but impressed.
Clearly a case of a general directive sent out to the whole government asking "How can you help?"
04-03-2020, 01:25 PM   #1323
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
. . . . . . . . as I stated earlier, I'm impressed; surprised but impressed.
Hi Surprised But Impressed.

I'm Racer.

Not surprised.

Only impressed when someone else gets the checkered before me.

Of course a bit disappointed too, for coming in second. But hey, can't win every race.
04-03-2020, 01:26 PM   #1324
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

sounds very interesting

not a solution for those who need a ventilator but an intermediate step that may avoid some from needing one

I hope that they are able to ramp up production perhaps with help from an investor or two

04-03-2020, 01:26 PM   #1325
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Hi Surprised But Impressed.

I'm Racer.

Not surprised.

Only impressed when someone else gets the checkered before me.

Of course a bit disappointed too, for coming in second. But hey, can't win every race.
but you show that you are still modest
04-03-2020, 02:01 PM   #1326
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Just to clarify... Its not "natural selection "going on when its human mediated and influenced. When economic resources and scientific technology influence who Lives and dies there is nothing "natural" about it. It may seem like a trivial distinction... but it really is not an accurate way to describe whats going on with human loss of life and the Pandemic.
AL
We may well have a philosophical or religious difference (depending on how you see such categories). I see humans as a part of the natural world, their character and activities are natural for them, and, as a manifestation of the Universe as a whole, "doing what comes naturally". Other people see humanity as separate from "creation", and that appears to be your perspective.

But unless you think humans have caused the viral outbreak, I suggest that the use of intelligent responses to the problem is a function of natural selection. We have evolved to do such things because of our responses to problems, and those whose responses are successful live to reproduce. We, as a natural part of the natural world, are now shaping our own evolution, at least in part.
04-03-2020, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #1327
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
We may well have a philosophical or religious difference (depending on how you see such categories). I see humans as a part of the natural world, their character and activities are natural for them, and, as a manifestation of the Universe as a whole, "doing what comes naturally". Other people see humanity as separate from "creation", and that appears to be your perspective.

But unless you think humans have caused the viral outbreak, I suggest that the use of intelligent responses to the problem is a function of natural selection. We have evolved to do such things because of our responses to problems, and those whose responses are successful live to reproduce. We, as a natural part of the natural world, are now shaping our own evolution, at least in part.
"Natural selection" and "Evolution" are top contenders for the most misused terms in science.

Nothing you have talked about involves either or. They are exclusively genetics terms. Nothing to do with pandemic response whatsoever.

04-03-2020, 02:29 PM   #1328
Unregistered User

Can you wear a mask inside a bank?

https://www.fdic.gov/coronavirus/faq-fi.pdf
04-03-2020, 02:33 PM   #1329
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
"Natural selection" and "Evolution" are top contenders for the most misused terms in science.

Nothing you have talked about involves either or. They are exclusively genetics terms. Nothing to do with pandemic response whatsoever.
So you figure that people dying from a virus and thus not contributing theirs to the gene pool has no effect on the surviving population? Seems to me that the existence of those who are fit to survive and reproduce by reason of their genetic characteristics represents an adaptation of the species to the natural world that includes the new and different viral strain. Or perhaps our "big brains" sprang fully formed from the mind of Zeus, as in Botticelli's "Birth of Venus"?
04-03-2020, 02:43 PM - 2 Likes   #1330
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So you figure that people dying from a virus and thus not contributing theirs to the gene pool has no effect on the surviving population? Seems to me that the existence of those who are fit to survive and reproduce by reason of their genetic characteristics represents an adaptation of the species to the natural world that includes the new and different viral strain. Or perhaps our "big brains" sprang fully formed from the mind of Zeus, as in Botticelli's "Birth of Venus"?
I wasn't aware that "being old" was a genetic characteristic. I wasn't aware that "proper access to healthcare" was a genetic characteristic. I wasn't aware that "different viral loads and general fitness of the immune system because of good lifestyle choices" were genetic characteristics.
04-03-2020, 02:43 PM   #1331
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

hoping for some local sharing

QuoteQuote:
By India Yarborough

Posted at 12:48 PM
Stormont Vail Health shared its first COVID-19 scorecard Thursday evening, which indicated the health system is dangerously low on N95 respirator masks.

According to the scorecard, Stormont has been close to experiencing a shortage of those respirator masks since at least March 27. The hospital is also reporting that as of Thursday, its surgical mask supply is starting to dip.

Stormont is an example of what appears to be a national shortage of personal protective equipment for health care workers, as gear designed to protect doctors and nurses from potentially contracting COVID-19 hasn’t been available in the amounts needed.
. . .

Topeka’s other two hospitals — The University of Kansas Health System St. Francis Campus and the Colmery-O’Neil VA Medical Center — have not reported a shortage of masks. Stormont appears to be treating the most patients locally for the coronavirus.

According to Nancy Burkhardt, director of marketing and communications for St. Francis, the hospital’s supply of respirator masks is adequate to meet the current usage rate.

“We continue to monitor supplies on a daily basis,” Burkhardt said. “We are fortunate to be part of a larger system that can help us source additional supplies.”

Joseph Burks, chief of communications and public relations for the VA Eastern Kansas Health Care System, said the VA medical center in Topeka is equipped with the items necessary to handle COVID-19 cases.

“The Topeka VA Medical Center is following all (Centers for Disease Control) guidelines for the use of masks and protective equipment,” Burks said. “Based on CDC protocols, all employees have the appropriate Personal Protective Equipment. ... N95 masks are used when necessary.”

None of Topeka’s hospitals have disclosed the exact number of N95 respirator masks they have on hand, so it is unclear how the supply of respirator masks at St. Francis and the VA medical center stack up to the limited supply at Stormont Vail.
Stormont soon to face shortage of N95 respirator masks - News - The Topeka Capital-Journal - Topeka, KS
04-03-2020, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #1332
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I wasn't aware that "....................general fitness of the immune system" were genetic characteristics.
I'm pretty sure genetics can be a factor there.
04-03-2020, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #1333
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Evolution by natural selection happens because of changes to the environment a species inhabits, not because of short term disease outbreaks. And it isn't survival of the fittest. Individuals that happen to have random mutations that suit the changed environment survive and reproduce, but they're not "fitter" or superior in any way. Just randomly luckier.
04-03-2020, 02:49 PM   #1334
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm pretty sure genetics can be a factor there.
It *can*, but there are so many factors that are more important that there's no point in considering it.
04-03-2020, 02:49 PM   #1335
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Evolution by natural selection happens because of changes to the environment a species inhabits, not because of short term disease outbreaks. And it isn't survival of the fittest. Individuals that happen to have random mutations that suit the changed environment survive and reproduce, but they're not "fitter" or superior in any way. Just randomly luckier.
this might be of interest

QuoteQuote:
A New Bird Species Has Evolved on Galapagos And Scientists Watched It Happen
MICHELLE STARR 24 NOVEMBER 2017

For the first time, scientists have been able to observe something amazing: the evolution of a completely new species, in the wild, in real-time. And it took just two generations.

Now, genomic sequencing and the analysis of physical characteristics have confirmed the new species of Darwin's finch, endemic to a small island called Daphne Major in the Galápagos. Its discoverers have nicknamed it Big Bird.

There are at least 15 species of Darwin's finches, so named because their diversity helped famed naturalist Charles Darwin figure out his theory of evolution by natural selection - that is, mutations can help species become better adapted to their environment, and be passed down to subsequent generations.

It's two of these species that came together in what is called species hybridisation to create an entirely new one . . .
https://www.sciencealert.com/darwin-s-finches-evolve-into-new-species-in-rea...ions-galapagos

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-03-2020 at 02:54 PM.
Closed Thread